[net.sf-lovers] Great Movie

@RUTGERS.ARPA:TRUDEL@RU-BLUE.ARPA (03/02/85)

From: That young upstart again <trudel@ru-blue.arpa>

>Julian R. Long writes-

>... i can't remember the whole title . It is a futureistic society
>type film (1984 ish) this guy is getting all sorts from them in
>charge , funny seens with his wife/lover? . Oh yes , the police are
>robots , everyone is bald , i think they have to take some drug ?

********WARNING WILL ROBINSON!!! ALIEN SPOILER APPROACHING********

This movie is THX 1138, and is George Lucas' first film. I have heard
that the film was originally his graduation thesis, but Universal(?)
picked it up, and funded a remake.  THX 1138 is the main character in
the movie , and was played by Robert Duvall.  The society is geared
towards production, and NOT taking drugs (stimulants, barbituates,
etc.) is against the law.  There are automated/non-intelligent
confessional/therapists that constantly repeat "I understand...I
see...Hmmm...Could you be more specific?..." when you sit in
them.  The police were indeed robots, and acted pleasantly all the
time.  THX's wife, LUH something, finds that life without drugs is
great, and stops giving drugs to THX.  Over time, he gets quite ill
from withdrawal, and, clutching his stomach, visits one of
the confessionals,where the conversation goes something like:
	THX:  I feel sick
	Confessional:  I see...
	THX:  (Doubling over)  I really mean it!
	Confessional:  Could you be more specific?...
The rest I leave to your imagination.  THX and his wife are
captured, and sentenced.  LUH is returned to an embryo state, and THX,
feeling better for not taking drugs, is put in asylum, because anyone
who doesn't want drugs must be crazy.  He breaks out of the asylum
with a crazed hologram, and more happens that I will not reveal, for
fear of revealing too much already.

********SPOILER OFF********

All in less than all, I thought that this was a well thought out, well made
film.  Unfortunately, movies of this type do not get widely released,
and end up on Night Owl-type TV.  It's worth at least one viewing, so
check it out.

J. Dunsel Trudel
<Trudel@ru-blue.arpa>

Dunsel?!??  Jim, what does it mean?

"A witty saying proves nothing, but saying something pointless gets
people's attention"   				J. D. Trudel
-------