[misc.wanted] Advice and Ideas Wanted For the Precision Cutting of Paper

noring@netcom.UUCP (Jon Noring) (12/05/90)

Hello all,

I'm currently working on a project which requires the precision
cutting (within 0.01 inch) of paper or paper-like material using a
computer to guide the cutter.  The cut shape will, in general,
be quite complex (i.e., it won't be a straight line but rather will
be quite "jagged").  I'd like to get your ideas as to how to do
this.  Of course, doing this at a minimum of cost, and to be able
to do it at home, without the need for bulky and costly equipment,
would definitely be a plus.  For various reasons, I'm not interested
in jobbing this out to another company.

At this time, I've only identified variations of laser cutters as the
way to cut the paper, but I have not yet found any that are reasonably
priced (i.e., less than $10,000).  Maybe combining a laser with a
precision x-y plotter will do the job.  Since I am not necessarily
restricted to paper, maybe some chemical etching process with a paper-
thin material might work.  The sky's the limit with innovative ideas
that are not, at first glance, obvious.  Of course, I would like to
know of any commercial equipment that meets my requirements.

I thank you in advance for your help and ideas.

Jon Noring

(415) 294-8153
(415) 862-1101 (voice mail)

lindsley@cod.NOSC.MIL (William G. Lindsley) (12/05/90)

One possible technique is to use a high pressure water jet.  This is commonly used to cut through concrete, rock, and glass, and my understanding is that it gives a clean cut.  "Mechanical Engineer"

magazine had an article on this in the March 1990 issue.

palmer@nntp-server.caltech.edu (David Palmer) (12/05/90)

Flatbed pen plotter with a scribe or a cutter instead of a pen.
(Or an acid pen, but that doesn't make a clean cut)

--
		David Palmer
		palmer@gap.cco.caltech.edu

henk@spex1.uucp (Henk van der Griendt) (12/05/90)

noring@netcom.UUCP (Jon Noring) writes:

>Hello all,

>I'm currently working on a project which requires the precision
>cutting (within 0.01 inch) of paper or paper-like material using a
>computer to guide the cutter.  The cut shape will, in general,
>be quite complex (i.e., it won't be a straight line but rather will

>At this time, I've only identified variations of laser cutters as the
>way to cut the paper, but I have not yet found any that are reasonably
>priced (i.e., less than $10,000).  Maybe combining a laser with a
>precision x-y plotter will do the job.  Since I am not necessarily
>restricted to paper, maybe some chemical etching process with a paper-
>thin material might work.  The sky's the limit with innovative ideas
>that are not, at first glance, obvious.  Of course, I would like to
>know of any commercial equipment that meets my requirements.

I don't know about the precision you ask, but I have heard it is
possible to use high-pressure water to cut all kinds of things (even
steel). Idea ?

Henk

--
======	Henk van der Griendt			E-mail: henk@spex.nl (internet)
======	Speech Processing EXpertise centre		spex@hlsdnl5.BITNET

cage@fmeed1.UUCP (Russ Cage) (12/06/90)

Have you considered water-jet cutting?  The hydraulics required
are going to be vastly cheaper than lasers, maybe even in your
budget for a small system.
--
Russ Cage	Ford Powertrain Engineering Development Department
Work:  itivax.iti.org!cfctech!fmeed1!cage   (CHATTY MAIL NOT ANSWERED HERE)

kdq@demott.com (Kevin D. Quitt) (12/06/90)

In article <18061@netcom.UUCP> noring@netcom.UUCP (Jon Noring) writes:

>I'm currently working on a project which requires the precision
>cutting (within 0.01 inch) of paper or paper-like material using a
>computer to guide the cutter.

    Ingersoll-Rand  Waterjet Cutting Systems
    635 W 12th. St.
    Baxter Springs, KS  66713
    (316)856-2151

(No association, blah, blah...)
--
 _
Kevin D. Quitt         demott!kdq   kdq@demott.com

whit@milton.u.washington.edu (John Whitmore) (12/07/90)

In article <18061@netcom.UUCP> noring@netcom.UUCP (Jon Noring) writes:

>I'm currently working on a project which requires the precision
>cutting (within 0.01 inch) of paper or paper-like material using a
>computer to guide the cutter.  The cut shape will, in general,
>be quite complex.

	Chemical and electrochemical machining (etching) routinely can
give this sort of precision.  One can simply contact-print a negative
onto a treated metal surface, develop the photoresist, and etch
for a few minutes.
	Homebrew kits for doing this are available (for making printed
circuits).  Typical etchant is ferric chloride/HCl at moderate
temperature.  A large beaker on a hotplate, with some agitation
mechanism, is an adequate etching bath.  A UV sunlamp and spray can
of KPR photoresist, and perhaps some Kodalith film (for making
negatives) complete the required equipment.
	Copper, brass, and stainless steel shim stock would
be possible materials.  Check the yellow pages for 'photochemical
machining' or 'chemical milling' if you want to job it out.

	I have done this from computer-plotter artwork at full scale
and at 4x scale (the latter is preferred, but requires a copy camera
to get the correct scale on a 1:1 negative.)  It's slow work, but easy.
To actually cut the material, you will want to etch from both sides
simultaneously, with careful registration of the artwork.

	John Whitmore

sam@hemuli.tik.vtt.fi (Sakari Mattila) (12/07/90)

High-pressure water jet with pure water or water and abrasive materials
is one method of cutting complex forms.  He basic machine is like flat-
bed plotter. Water jet cuts various material up to glass and ceramics.
The jet is so fast, that the paper does not wet. It is worth of thinking,
whether it is possible to cut paper to 0.01 inch tolerances.

--
Sakari M. Mattila    71307.1525@CompuServe.COM
                     mattila@tik.vtt.fi    Sakari Mattila@3:663*371.0.FNET

seeba@nas.nasa.gov (Thomas D. Seeba) (12/08/90)

In article <4579@dnlunx.pttrnl.nl>, henk@spex1.uucp (Henk van der
Griendt) writes:
> noring@netcom.UUCP (Jon Noring) writes:
>
>Hello all,
>
>I'm currently working on a project which requires the precision
>cutting (within 0.01 inch) of paper or paper-like material using a
>computer to guide the cutter.  The cut shape will, in general,
>be quite complex (i.e., it won't be a straight line but rather will
>
>At this time, I've only identified variations of laser cutters as the

	[ stuff deleted ]

There are several companies that make plotters with knife blades instead
of pens
for cutting mylar film exhibiting at COMDEX this year.  Try Houston
Instruments for
starters.

Tom Seeba                                               seeba@nas.nasa.gov
Numerical Aerodynamic Simulation Facility               415-604-4528
M/S 258-6
NASA Ames Research Center
Moffett Field, CA 94035

houde@jupiter.DMI.USherb.CA (Francois Houde) (12/08/90)

In article <4579@dnlunx.pttrnl.nl> henk@spex1.uucp (Henk van der Griendt) writes:
>noring@netcom.UUCP (Jon Noring) writes:
>>Hello all,
>>
>>I'm currently working on a project which requires the precision
>>cutting (within 0.01 inch) of paper or paper-like material using a
>>computer to guide the cutter.  The cut shape will, in general,
>>be quite complex (i.e., it won't be a straight line but rather will
>>
>>At this time, I've only identified variations of laser cutters as the
>>way to cut the paper, but I have not yet found any that are reasonably
>>priced (i.e., less than $10,000).  Maybe combining a laser with a
>>precision x-y plotter will do the job.  Since I am not necessarily
>>restricted to paper, maybe some chemical etching process with a paper-
>>thin material might work.  The sky's the limit with innovative ideas
>>that are not, at first glance, obvious.  Of course, I would like to
>>know of any commercial equipment that meets my requirements.
>
>I don't know about the precision you ask, but I have heard it is
>possible to use high-pressure water to cut all kinds of things (even
>steel). Idea ?
>
>Henk
>
>--
>======	Henk van der Griendt			E-mail: henk@spex.nl (internet)
>======	Speech Processing EXpertise centre		spex@hlsdnl5.BITNET
>======	SPEX,  p/a PTT RNL, kamer LE1,			tel: 31-(0)70-3322693
>======	Postbus 421, 2260 AK  Leidschendam	the Netherlands

Yes!  WaterJet cutting exists AND it's usable practically.

A company here in Quebec uses CAD software (AutoCAD) and homebrewn software to
convert  graphic files into useable Robot Machine code.  They use either XY
plotters or Six-axis robots (Big orange monster).

An improvement on the technique is HydroAbrasive cutting, mixing grains of
sand with the hi-pressure flow.  It is possible to cut thru many inches
of steel.

The name is AquaCoupe Technologies in Blainville, Quebec CANADA

=== Etienne ===
via houde@DMI.USHERB.CA

mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) (12/08/90)

Take a ream of paper, soak it in water, freeze it, and cut it on a standard
vertical milling machine.  A similar technique is used to machine aircraft
honeycomb.