[misc.wanted] Need help with Plexus P/35

Azog-Thoth@cup.portal.com (William Thomas Daugustine) (01/11/91)

Almost a year ago, at the last Trenton Computer Fair in NJ, I purchased
a Plexus P/35 system box. The feller who sold it too me said that:
'It worked four years ago, when it was decommissioned'. After its
decommission, it was stored in someones basement, until I got it in 1990...

Anyways, when I try to boot the thing, after futzing around with the
self-test, it tries to boot, and then reports to me that it cannot
wake the disk contoller, and passes into coma.

I am wondering if anyone can give me a hand, getting this thing to work?
It would be kinda nice. Even tho its an older machine, its fairly large
(both is size and assumed power!).

On the other hand, if I cant get the thing working, I guess Ill just
end up trashing it, and putting the large hard drive (84mb SMD) on my
PDP-11 (anyone know of a Unibuss controller for SMD?:-)

Thanx

Oh, ignore the distribution address of this. Portal cannot recive mail,
thanx to our mail router, sun, who stopped routing mail to us! Send

Billy D'Augustine
billy@westmark.com

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR) (01/12/91)

+---------------
| In article <37838@cup.portal.com> Azog-Thoth@cup.portal.com (William Thomas Daugustine) writes:
| >Anyways, when I try to boot the thing, after futzing around with the
| >self-test, it tries to boot, and then reports to me that it cannot
| >wake the disk contoller, and passes into coma.
+---------------

Try reseating the cables from the controller to the drive first; apparent
controller failures have been traced to cables that worked loose during
transit....

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			    VHF/UHF: KB8JRR on 220, 2m, 440
Internet: allbery@NCoast.ORG		    Packet: KB8JRR @ WA8BXN

john@crcaus.cactus.org (John R. Miller) (01/12/91)

In article <1991Jan11.152909.15864@zip.eecs.umich.edu> leasure@zip.eecs.umich.edu (Jerry Leasure) writes:
>In article <37838@cup.portal.com> Azog-Thoth@cup.portal.com (William Thomas Daugustine) writes:
>>
>>Anyways, when I try to boot the thing, after futzing around with the
>>self-test, it tries to boot, and then reports to me that it cannot
>>wake the disk contoller, and passes into coma.
>>
>>I am wondering if anyone can give me a hand, getting this thing to work?
>>
>>Billy D'Augustine
>>billy@westmark.com
>
>   Hi Billy, I too am having problems with a Plexus P/35. I have a extra
>   controller board (in fact I have an extra everything). What I don't have
>   is a working Release tape set, my dconfig and dformat won't boot, I think
>   the old tape has just had it! I am also looking for a large SMD drive to
>   put in this (it has a bad Northern Telecom 8212x). If you're interested
>   in help or trading or getting together at all on this either mail me or
>   call me direct (313) 663-3275 H  or (313) 761-5000 ex. 198 W.
>
>			kite@kitenet.ann-arbor.mi.us
>			kite@m-net.ann-arbor.mi.us
>			...sharkey!m-net!kite

Include me in the ever growing list of people fiddling around with
P/35s.  I don't really have much to complain about compared to y'all.  I
don't have any spares, but my machine runs -- it's what I'm posting this
from (I sound like Madge: "Of course it's mild.  You're soaking in it.")
I've got several working release tapes, but you might not want them.  My
machine is so old it's running System III.  I can't even upgrade because
the firmware is too old to support System V.  Still, it works ok for a
news node, and thanks to a recent purchase of a second 1 meg board I've
even got emacs running (although I'm posting this from rn because I
haven't got outgoing mail/posting working from emacs yet).

I, too, would dearly love to get a larger drive for this puppy.  It's a
constant struggle to keep things from spilling out onto the carpet with
only one 70 meg drive.  Even a second small drive would be a big
improvement.

Surely we ought to be able to work something out.  Send me a note (or do
like me -- post if you don't trust your mailer) or phone if you're
interested in selling part of your system or even if you'd just like to
borrow a release tape (sys3 is better than nothing) -- either one of you
(or someone we haven't heard from yet).
--
John R. Miller   13102 Briar Hollow Dr.   Austin, Texas  78729
hm: 512/331-0155 john@crcaus.cactus.org  or ..cs.utexas.edu!bigtex!crcaus!john

rwelch@diana.cair.du.edu (RANDY S WELCH) (01/14/91)

Well I've been planning this for months, but never got around to it...

If you have a plexus or know somone with a plexus, we might want to find a
way to all keep in touch.  I work for a company that uses plexus' as our
main hardware configuration ( p/35 p/60's ), and I am looking for other
plexus users.

For your info I do have most of the GNU stuff ported to the Plexus running
system V ( or Plexus's variation... ), with the exception of gcc. (
Actually if *anybody* out there has got gcc running on a plexus let me
know!! or is interested in working on it...)

I would be willing to maintain a list of fellow Plexus users so we all
have a list of people to turn to.

Please send your name, machine configuratin, whatever to :

randy@bldr.UUCP (..!uunet!ncar!scicom!bldr!randy)
        -or-
rwelch@isis.du.edu

(This account expires in March...)