[net.sf-lovers] sf book club

@RUTGERS.ARPA:jcr@mitre-bedford (02/21/85)

From: jcr@Mitre-Bedford

Wilson Harris (harris@nrl-aic) writes the following, concerning
the SF book club:

> my membership does not require returning the monthly announcement if I
> do not want any books.  If I do nothing, no books are sent.  It's only
> when I check off or list books on the form do they send me anything.

Thanks! I stand corrected.

				     ---  Jeff Rogers
					  jcr@Mitre-Bedford

@RUTGERS.ARPA:zeus@AEROSPACE.ARPA (03/05/85)

From: Dave Suess <zeus@AEROSPACE.ARPA>

I have seen two kinds of postings on the SF Book Club in the many
that I've seen lately:
	1. poster is quitting, books now cost too much.
	2. poster is active, but continuously re-joins so as
	   to obtain offer designed to attract new members.

I'm in a third category (long-time member, sad that prices are going up but
intending to remain a member) and was wondering if *everyone* else is
in the other two.  If so, I can extrapolate that I, too, will someday be
driven out; I'd hate that, since the postage on the reply forms is well
worth the bargain I pick up (admittedly mostly on older titles) a few
times a year.  I enjoy even a mediocre-quality hardback much more than the
smaller, can't-prop-up paperback.  Am I the only "chump" in my category?
	Dave Suess		zeus@aerospace.ARPA

Anecdote:
Once (I haven't checked lately) I even wrote in to ask if it were OK to
*overpay* my balance, expecting to order more shortly.  The SFBC wrote
back to say if I kept a credit balance (and it was very low - $10, I think),
I could get a 10% discount on orders.  I did, and continued for quite a
while before getting too busy -- and I assume that this service no longer
exists, considering the not-so-slow rise in prices.

mjn@panda.UUCP (Mark J. Norton) (03/06/85)

> I'm in a third category (long-time member, sad that prices are going up but
> intending to remain a member) and was wondering if *everyone* else is
> in the other two.  If so, I can extrapolate that I, too, will someday be
> driven out; I'd hate that, since the postage on the reply forms is well
> worth the bargain I pick up (admittedly mostly on older titles) a few
> times a year.  I enjoy even a mediocre-quality hardback much more than the
> smaller, can't-prop-up paperback.  Am I the only "chump" in my category?
>	Dave Suess		zeus@aerospace.ARPA

I am another long-time subscriber to the sfbc.  In the twelve or so years
I've been buying books from them, I've been occationally stuck with books
I didn't want.  I've seen the prices slowly creep upwards.  I've had
arguments over whether I paid a bill or not, etc.

On the other hand, I have many collections (such as Zalazny's Amber
Chronicles) which have appeared no where else.  Many times I've seen
a sfbc edition of a new book come out before trade hardcover (Pohl's
Heechee Rendezvous).  I like the fact that my bookclub editions seem
to stand re-reading better than paperbacks.  I like the choices and
new selections I see every month.  I buy about 12-16 books a year from
them.

Starting with sfbc editions, I've become intrested in collecting
hardcover sf books.  I have many old sfbc selections.  I've also
branched out into first editions (trade) and specialty publishers
(such as Gregg editions).

I general, I am pleased with the book club and will continue to be
a member.  I've had my problems, but most of them were my fault or
were worked out with them.