[net.sf-lovers] Help with Button

@RUTGERS.ARPA:ron@BRL-TGR.ARPA (02/28/85)

From: Ron Natalie <ron@BRL-TGR.ARPA>

I have a button that reads
	I am the Imp of the Perverse (knowing this won't help you either)
That I bought and stuck on our MILNET IMP.  Actually, I had to by another
one because I think our IMP hardware guy took the first one.  Question is
what does it mean.  Does this relate to some book?  Can anyone help with
a reference?  Please reply by mail.

-Ron

todd@reed.UUCP (Todd Ellner) (03/03/85)

> From: Ron Natalie <ron@BRL-TGR.ARPA>
>
> I have a button that reads
> 	I am the Imp of the Perverse (knowing this won't help you either)
> Question is what does it mean?

It refers to an essay by Edgar Allen Poe called The Imp of the Perverse.

                                    Todd Ellner

@RUTGERS.ARPA:wesm@mitre-bedford (03/04/85)

From: wesm@Mitre-Bedford

   >I have a button that reads
   >
   >     I am the Imp of the Perverse
   >       (knowing this won't help you either)
   >
   >That I bought and stuck on our MILNET IMP.  Actually, I had to by
   >another one because I think our IMP hardware guy took the first one.
   >Question is what does it mean.  Does this relate to some book?  Can
   >anyone help with a reference?  Please reply by mail.

	I think one possible answer is a line (or the theme) from NATIONAL
LAMPOONS "DETERIORATA" sung by Melissa Manchester. The line is "You are a
fluke of the universe. You have no right to be here. Whether you believe it or
not the universe is laughing behind your back."... and so forth and so on.

						wesm@mitre-bedford

todd@reed.UUCP (Todd Ellner) (03/07/85)

> From: wesm@Mitre-Bedford
>

>    >I have a button that reads
>    >
>    >     I am the Imp of the Perverse
>    >       (knowing this won't help you either)
>    >
>    >That I bought and stuck on our MILNET IMP.  Actually, I had to by
>    >another one because I think our IMP hardware guy took the first one.
>    >Question is what does it mean.  Does this relate to some book?  Can

   As I posted before, The Imp of the Perverse is the title of an essay
by Poe.  It concerns the tendency or voice within which makes you do things
which you know are evil/self-destructive/perverse. Knowing what you are about
to do doesn't help at all (I know I'll go splat, but I've just got to step off
that cliff).

                                                 Todd