[net.sf-lovers] Pointers please?

victoro%Nosc@crash.ARPA (02/11/85)

From: <bang!crash!victoro@Nosc>

I am looking for stories dealing with racial memory or group minds.
--Victor O'Rear         {ihnp4, sdcsvax!bang}!crash!victoro
			bang!crash!victoro@nosc
			sdamos!crash!victoro@ucsd

@RUTGERS.ARPA:Susser.PASA@Xerox.ARPA (02/13/85)

From: Susser.PASA@XEROX.ARPA

> I am looking for stories dealing with racial memory or group minds.

The Fire Lizards in Anne McCaffrey's Pern series had racial memory.  So
did Paul Muad'dib Atreides ("Dune") and his children and his sister
Alia.  Keith Laumer's "The Infinite Cage" has a character who can draw
upon the memories of all of humanity somewhat telepathically.

Group minds?  Heinlein had something in "Methusula's Children" (in the
collection "The Past Through Tomorrow") about The Little People.  Also
the alien enemy bug thingies in "Starship Troopers".  And "I Will Fear
No Evil" had a group of minds in a single body.  "The Puppet Masters"
were kind of a group mind (this story was ripped-off into a Star Trek
episode where a blob of Jello-slime flies onto Spock's back and tries to
take over his body).  Varley had an interesting version of a group mind
in "The Persistence of Vision".  And Gaea ("Titan", "Wizard", "Demon")
could fragment herself into a group of minds.  Also, Varley's Symb-human
pairs that lived in the Rings of Saturn ("Equinoctial") experienced a
very loose form of group mind (mostly due to mating!).  The basic
conflict in Haldeman's "Forever War" hinged upon the incompatibilities
of group and discrete minds.  Julian May's Galactic Milieu ("The Saga of
the Pliocene Exile") had a sort of Galactic group mind called Unity.
Movies -- Nestor in "Battle Beyond the Stars" was a group mind
(hillarious scene of one Nestor eating a hot-dog and all of them
chewing).

And to all you people in net land:  I remember a short story (by
Heinlein or Asimov?) that involved a starship manned by a multi-racial
crew coming to evacuate Earth before Sol goes nova.  A few of the crew
were part of a group mind.  This was important when a landing party was
trapped in a trans-Atlantic subway and cut off from radio
communications.  Anyone know the author/title?

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but it should keep you
busy for a while.

--Josh

Nestor: "That's okay, we always carry a spare."

lkt@ukc.UUCP (L.K.Turner) (02/15/85)

< Line eater : I aint afriad of no mail : -> Munch , Munch >

In article <616@topaz.ARPA> @RUTGERS.ARPA:Susser.PASA@Xerox.ARPA writes:

>And to all you people in net land:  I remember a short story (by
>Heinlein or Asimov?) that involved a starship manned by a multi-racial
>crew coming to evacuate Earth before Sol goes nova.  A few of the crew
>were part of a group mind.  This was important when a landing party was
>trapped in a trans-Atlantic subway and cut off from radio
>communications.  Anyone know the author/title?
>

>--Josh

  I dont know where you got idea that Heinlein or Asimov , wrote the story ,
in fact it was written by Aurthur C. Clarke and was called "Rescue Party".

  As far as the USENET poll goes ; keep the votes rolling in !!

                             |     L.K.Turner
  UUCP: ...!mcvax!ukc!lkt    |     Computing Lab, University of Kent,
  ARPA: lkt%ukc@ucl-cs       |     Canterbury, CT2 7NF, England.

iannucci@sjuvax.UUCP (iannucci) (02/15/85)

>From: <bang!crash!victoro@Nosc>
>
>I am looking for stories dealing with racial memory or group minds.
>--Victor O'Rear         {ihnp4, sdcsvax!bang}!crash!victoro
>			bang!crash!victoro@nosc
>			sdamos!crash!victoro@ucsd

                This may not be exactly what you want, but how about
_Dune_ by Frank Herbert? If you remember, the Reverend Mothers of the
Sisterhood had the composite memories of all past Reverend Mothers, not
to mention Paul and Alia, Leto and Ghanima, who had access to the minds
of ALL their ancestors.
--
David J. Iannucci (the dirty vicar)                   St. Joseph's University
{allegra | astrovax | bpa | burdvax}!sjuvax!iannucci             Philadelphia

"A witty saying proves nothing. "                                  --Voltaire

@RUTGERS.ARPA,@MIT-MC:Shiffman@SWW-WHITE (02/19/85)

From: Hank Shiffman <Shiffman@SWW-WHITE>

    From: Susser.PASA@XEROX.ARPA
    Subject: Re: Pointers please?

    And to all you people in net land: I remember a short story (by
    Heinlein or Asimov?) that involved a starship manned by a
    multi-racial crew coming to evacuate Earth before Sol goes nova.  A
    few of the crew were part of a group mind.  This was important when
    a landing party was trapped in a trans-Atlantic subway and cut off
    from radio communications.  Anyone know the author/title?

That was by Clarke.  I think the story was called "Rescue Party" or
something similar.

bsa@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) (03/01/85)

> Article <616@topaz.ARPA>, from @RUTGERS.ARPA:Susser.PASA@Xerox.ARPA
+----------------
| > I am looking for stories dealing with racial memory or group minds.
|
| The Fire Lizards in Anne McCaffrey's Pern series had racial memory.  So
| did Paul Muad'dib Atreides ("Dune") and his children and his sister
| Alia.  Keith Laumer's "The Infinite Cage" has a character who can draw
| upon the memories of all of humanity somewhat telepathically.

There are two kinds of racial memory (of sorts) in Clarke's CHILDHOOD'S END:
when Joan "remembered" the catalog designation of the Overlords' home
base, and a vcurious kind of "inverse" racial memory linking the last
days of the human race to the shape of the Overlords, resulting in the
classical image of the devil back in our prehistory (racial memory as a
tape loop?).

+----------------
| And to all you people in net land:  I remember a short story (by
| Heinlein or Asimov?) that involved a starship manned by a multi-racial
| crew coming to evacuate Earth before Sol goes nova.  A few of the crew
| were part of a group mind.  This was important when a landing party was
| trapped in a trans-Atlantic subway and cut off from radio
| communications.  Anyone know the author/title?

Clarke again.  I think it was "RESCUE MISSION"; it's in THE SENTINEL.

--bsa
--
Brandon Allbery, decvax!cwruecmp!ncoast!bsa, ncoast!bsa@case.csnet (etc.)
6504 Chestnut Road Independence, Ohio 44131 +1 216 524 1416 -- CIS 74106,1032

derek2@garfield.UUCP (Derek S Keeping) (03/08/85)

	How about ORN by Piers Anthony.

	This one dealt with a species of flightless birds that evolved a
	racial memory as a survival mechanism.

			Derek S. Keeping
			{allegra,inhp4,utcsrgv}!garfield!derek2