[misc.wanted] PL/I compiler

orville@weyrich.UUCP (Orville R. Weyrich) (06/04/91)

Hi!

This seems to be my week for needing strange and exotic things.

I need to obtain a PL/I compiler (close to full implementation) for any of
the three computers which I have:

	Microport Unix System V/386

	MS-DOS

	CP/M  (just about any soft-sector 5 1/4" format will do).

I would be grateful for any recommendations as to where I can find such an
animal.

Also, if you have one you don't need, how about letting me have it cheap?

Thanks,

Orville.

--------------------------------------           ******************************
Orville R. Weyrich, Jr., Ph.D.                   Certified Systems Professional
Internet: orville%weyrich@uunet.uu.net             Weyrich Computer Consulting
Voice:    (602) 391-0821                         POB 5782, Scottsdale, AZ 85261
Fax:      (602) 391-0023                              (Yes! I'm available)
--------------------------------------           ******************************

dww@math.fu-berlin.de (Debora Weber-Wulff) (06/06/91)

orville@weyrich.UUCP (Orville R. Weyrich) writes:

>I need to obtain a PL/I compiler (close to full implementation) for any of
>
>	Microport Unix System V/386
>	MS-DOS
>	CP/M  (just about any soft-sector 5 1/4" format will do).

PL/I? On an MS-DOS or CP/M (!!!) platform with close to full
implementation? Well, the beast compiler we used to use on our
IBM 370 was a wee bit on the overweight side. I mean, when you
stuff all the goodies from Algol, COBOL, FORTRAN and whatnot
in one bag, it won't exactly be petite. But lots of luck, and let
us know if you find anything!

--
Debora Weber-Wulff
snail: FU Berlin, ZI Fachdidaktiken, Habelschwerdter Allee 45, W-1000 Berlin 33

dww@math.fu-berlin.de (Debora Weber-Wulff) writes:

>PL/I? On an MS-DOS or CP/M (!!!) platform with close to full
>implementation? Well, the beast compiler we used to use on our

I had a PL/1 compiler for MS-DOS about 5 years ago.  I'll look around
my basement to see if I can come up with the manufacturer (I know it
was distributed by IBM).

--
Conor P. Cahill            (703)430-9247        Virtual Technologies, Inc.
                                                Sterling, VA 22170

tpoind@skipy (Tom Poindexter) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun06.124251.241@virtech.uucp> cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>dww@math.fu-berlin.de (Debora Weber-Wulff) writes:
>>PL/I? On an MS-DOS or CP/M (!!!) platform with close to full
>>implementation? Well, the beast compiler we used to use on our

comment: remember that long ago, in a place far away, Fortran & Cobol were compiled on
cpus with 4096 words of memory (not kilobytes or megabytes, just 4,096).

>I had a PL/1 compiler for MS-DOS about 5 years ago.  I'll look around
>my basement to see if I can come up with the manufacturer (I know it
>was distributed by IBM).

It was distributed by Digital Research.  The compiler first came out for 8080 in CP/M,
then migrated to 8086 & MS-DOS.  It was *quite* buggy;  I don't think DR ever released
any version beyond 1.0.  The compiler supposedly supported PL/I ANSI Subset G.

There is some sort of PL/I language *interpreter* on Simtel20.  Look for
RUNPLI or some such.

--
Tom Poindexter        tpoind@uswest.com       ..!uunet!boulder!uswat!tpoind

/usr/bin/postnews: $HOME/.signature rejected, poor taste

shore@theory.TC.Cornell.EDU (Melinda Shore) (06/06/91)

In article <60LR3ND@math.fu-berlin.de> dww@math.fu-berlin.de (Debora Weber-Wulff) writes:
>PL/I? On an MS-DOS or CP/M (!!!) platform with close to full
>implementation?

Digital Research has (had?) a CP/M PL/I compiler, subset G.  My dim
recollection is that it was painfully slow and had about eleventy-
five passes, but it may be what you're looking for.
--
                    Software longa, hardware brevis
Melinda Shore - Cornell Information Technologies - shore@theory.tn.cornell.edu

jamesp@world.std.com (james M peterson) (06/07/91)

As I remember the digital research pl/1 compiler was not real compatable
with our vax pl/1 stuff - as in major recoding.

kludge@grissom.larc.nasa.gov ( Scott Dorsey) (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun7.120942.3626@world.std.com> jamesp@world.std.com (james M peterson) writes:
>As I remember the digital research pl/1 compiler was not real compatable
>with our vax pl/1 stuff - as in major recoding.

   The DR PL/I was a PL/I subset G compiler, whereas the VMS PL/I is a full
implementation.  PL/I was the Ada of the 1960's; enormous with every programmer
using a different subset.
   The DR compiler was still being sold as late as 1983.  I have a manual for
it somewhere, though I don't have the software.
--scott

clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca (Chris Lewis) (06/08/91)

In article <60LR3ND@math.fu-berlin.de> dww@math.fu-berlin.de (Debora Weber-Wulff) writes:
>orville@weyrich.UUCP (Orville R. Weyrich) writes:
>>
>>I need to obtain a PL/I compiler (close to full implementation) for any of

>>	Microport Unix System V/386
>>	MS-DOS
>>	CP/M  (just about any soft-sector 5 1/4" format will do).

>PL/I? On an MS-DOS or CP/M (!!!) platform with close to full
>implementation? Well, the beast compiler we used to use on our
>IBM 370 was a wee bit on the overweight side. I mean, when you
>stuff all the goodies from Algol, COBOL, FORTRAN and whatnot
>in one bag, it won't exactly be petite. But lots of luck, and let
>us know if you find anything!

Sure, such things were available.

Digital Research Inc sold a PL/1G compiler for CP/M.  "G" was supposed to be
a relatively machine independent subset of fully bloated IBM PL/1.
Supposedly a semi-international standard.  PL/1 G was available on a lot of
different platforms.  Maybe DRI still has a few copies of it, perhaps for
machines other than CP/M.

Also, LPI (I think it was LPI, or maybe it was Greenhills) builds their
compilers in PL/1, and since they have to port PL/1 first to each platform,
there's likely to be a commercial version of their PL/1 for the platform you
want.

I pondered using PL/1G on my CP/M machine, then I discovered it didn't allow
you to "*" array declarations in procedure argument declarations so I
abandoned it.
--
Chris Lewis, Phone: (613) 832-0541, Domain: clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca

vsnyder@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Van Snyder) (06/08/91)

I saw an ad in PC Week (or was it Byte?) some months ago for a PL\I compiler
for '386s.  It wasn't DR or MS or IBM.
--
vsnyder@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov
ames!elroy!jato!vsnyder

stinson@tifsim.pac.sc.ti.com (Jim Stinson) (06/10/91)

Digital Research's PL/I compiler was very screwed up. After buying the compiler
for $600 - $500, and sending in the registration form, they set a list of about
50 or more bugs with it. Things like A = A * B where A and B were floating
point numbers messed up the stack and you program would eventually dump.
X = 105331 where X is an integer, would assign 15331, that is, the comiler
would drop 0's from integer constants from time to time. There were others,
I don't remember them all, I just could not believe some one would sell a
compiler for so much knowing it did not work and wouldn't give refunds.

    Jim Stinson  stinson@tifsim.csc.ti.com, @tifsim.pac.sc.ti.com

eversole@acae037.cadence.com (Richard Eversole; x6239) (06/10/91)

As of 1988 the VAX VMS PL/I compiler was not a full implementation of the
language as defined by IBM.

I had a 65,000 line PL/I program for the IBM 3090 that required
15,000 lines of changes just to get it to compile under VAX PL/I.
Unfortunately, the program also required a CODASYL compliant database
which was not available for the VAX at our site at that time.

I do not remember the exact problems but they were subtle uses of
the language.

The only company I'm aware of that has a PL/I compiler that may be
of any value is LPI (I do not have the address). Unfortunately, I
think their compilers only run under UNIX and maybe a handful of
other operating systems (But not MESSDOS).

DR's PL/I compiler is garbage. All "Subset G" PL/I compilers are going
to be worthless if you are transferring from an IBM mainframe compiler.

    eversole@cadence.com

    Live long and prosper !

barton@holston.UUCP (Barton A. Fisk) (06/11/91)

In article <60LR3ND@math.fu-berlin.de> dww@math.fu-berlin.de (Debora Weber-Wulff) writes:
>orville@weyrich.UUCP (Orville R. Weyrich) writes:
>>
>>I need to obtain a PL/I compiler (close to full implementation) for any of
>>
>>	Microport Unix System V/386
>>	MS-DOS
>>	CP/M  (just about any soft-sector 5 1/4" format will do).
>
>PL/I? On an MS-DOS or CP/M (!!!) platform with close to full
>in one bag, it won't exactly be petite. But lots of luck, and let
>us know if you find anything!

LPI just announced PL/I for RS6000, SPARC, M88000, i386/486
systems running UNIX as well as 386/486 running DOS.

The sheet says it's an ANSI PL/I X3.74 1981 General Purpose
subset and includes extensions for compatibility with PL/I
dialects for IBM mainframes, and DEC VAX.

Never used it myself, but looks like what you're looking for
LPI's number is 1-800-833-3678. I have no affiliation with them
just a satisfied user.
(of another one of their products)
--
uucp: holston!barton
pseudo: barton@holston.UUCP

car@trux.UUCP (Chris Rende) (06/12/91)

From article <60LR3ND@math.fu-berlin.de>, by dww@math.fu-berlin.de (Debora Weber-Wulff):

> PL/I? On an MS-DOS or CP/M (!!!) platform with close to full
> implementation?
>
> email: weberwu@inf.fu-berlin.de, dww@math.fu-berlin.de

Actually, "Control Program for Microcomputers" (CP/M) was created to serve
as an O/S base for "Programming Language for Microcomputers" (PL/M).
[ Where PL/M is a subset of PL/I - not "close to full implementation" ].

However, CP/M became popular in its own right as a stand-alone operating system.

So the thought of running PL/M on CP/M isn't as far fetched as one would think.

car.
--
Christopher A. Rende           Central Cartage (Nixdorf/Pyramid/SysVR2/BSD4.3)
uunet!edsews!rphroy!trux!car   Multics,DTSS,Unix,Shortwave,Scanners,UnixPC/3B1