[net.sf-lovers] Heretics of Dune

trumpler@UCLA-CS.ARPA (04/17/84)

From:            Mark Trumpler <trumpler@UCLA-CS.ARPA>

[Note to Moderator: I don't remember if you've distributed one of these ...
if not, here are my impressions. MET]

Heretics of Dune takes place about 3000 years after  Leto  II's  fall.  The
main  characters are Bene Gesserit Reverend Mothers, Tleilaxu Masters (yes,
we find out a bit more about that elusive people),  and  a  few  people  on
Dune,  now  called  Rakis.  There's  the  Priests of the Divided God, and a
young priestess who can control the  (relatively)  stunted  descendants  of
Leto  II.  There  is,  of course, also a Duncan Idaho ghola, but he's being
raised by the BG, and trained by their Bashar, an Atreides  descendant  who
is about 300 years old.  There are also a few "bad guys" from what's called
the Scattering.  As you can imagine, this rather large cast makes the story
very  complex.  There  is the usual BG intrigue, not to mention that of the
secretive Tleilaxu.  The story jumps about,  as  it  did  in  the  previous
books,  but  with  the  large cast, and the fact that he uses flashbacks at
times, tends to make the whole thing a bit difficult.
On the whole, it's a good book for Dune fans.

-+- Mark

@RUTGERS.ARPA:herbjornsen%vax.runit.unit.uninett%ubc.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa (03/08/85)

From: Anders Herbj|rnsen <herbjornsen%vax.runit.unit.uninett%ubc.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>

11:15:08  8/3/1985

>"Heretics of Dune" should be out in paperback shortly.  There is a
>sixth book in the works, I forget the title.

>    The fifth DUNE book is called "HERETICS OF DUNE" and has been
>out since early 1984 in hardcover.  I don't think it is in trade or
>regular paperback just yet.

The paperback version of Heretics of Dune has been in sale in Norway
for more than 3 months now. I believe it's an american edition.

..anders....