[misc.wanted] want 286 accelerator for normal PC

dd26+@andrew.cmu.edu (Douglas F. DeJulio) (06/19/91)

I've got an old, ordinary IBM-PC with a 5-slot 256k motherboard.  I'd
like to bring this machine at least into the mid-80s, with a 286
accelerator card.  Ideally it'd have a meg of memory and an 80286
running at at least 8 or 10 MHz.  I can't afford to spend a lot of
money on it though -- this is basically a machine for messing around
and playing games.  Does anyone have one they might want to sell?  Can
anyone point me at a good magazine to look for such things in?
--
Doug DeJulio
dd26+@andrew.cmu.edu

U35828@uicvm.uic.edu (06/19/91)

In article <gcLgDAW00VI8MFXUV4@andrew.cmu.edu>, dd26+@andrew.cmu.edu (Douglas F.
DeJulio) says:

>I've got an old, ordinary IBM-PC with a 5-slot 256k motherboard.  I'd
>like to bring this machine at least into the mid-80s, with a 286
>accelerator card.  Ideally it'd have a meg of memory and an 80286
>running at at least 8 or 10 MHz.

No problem.  SOTA makes the 286i, an 80286-based accelerator card for
the PC/XT machines.  Elek-Tek, a local computer store, is asking for
$249.  For more information, call them at 1-800-395-1000 (before 8pm
Central Standard Time).

Standeard disclaimer applies.

 John Serrano-Bitnet: <U35828@UICVM>, Internet: <U35828@UICVM.UIC.EDU>

 Bond:  "Do you expect me to talk?"
 Goldfinger:  "No Mister Bond, I expect you to die!"

baer@uwovax.uwo.ca (06/21/91)

In article <91170.110705U35828@uicvm.uic.edu>, U35828@uicvm.uic.edu writes:
> In article <gcLgDAW00VI8MFXUV4@andrew.cmu.edu>, dd26+@andrew.cmu.edu (Douglas F.
> DeJulio) says:
>>
>>I've got an old, ordinary IBM-PC with a 5-slot 256k motherboard.  I'd
>>like to bring this machine at least into the mid-80s, with a 286
>>accelerator card.  Ideally it'd have a meg of memory and an 80286
>>running at at least 8 or 10 MHz.
>
> No problem.  SOTA makes the 286i, an 80286-based accelerator card for
> the PC/XT machines.  Elek-Tek, a local computer store, is asking for
> $249.  For more information, call them at 1-800-395-1000 (before 8pm
> Central Standard Time).

But watch out for the 16i memory card that goes with it.  A bit of a
dog from my point of view (I own one).  If doing it again, I'd have
stuck to the accelerator and not bought the memory card add-on.
This limits the machine a bit (no EMS, etc.), but the memory card
I bought was quite glitchy and you are at the mercy of Sota with
respect to drivers for things like Windows (the drivers I got
only half worked).
> Standeard disclaimer applies.
>

>  John Serrano-Bitnet: <U35828@UICVM>, Internet: <U35828@UICVM.UIC.EDU>
>
>  Bond:  "Do you expect me to talk?"
>  Goldfinger:  "No Mister Bond, I expect you to die!"
Douglas Baer,