[mod.religion.christian] God Helps Those Who Help Themselves

ptl@fluke.UUCP (10/17/86)

Hi,							10/16/86

"God helps those who help themselves" is a saying I've always disliked,
only to find out it has much truth in it.  As a Christian I'm told to
turn everything over to God, then somehow He'll work in my life.  So I
say the words with all the meaning I can muster, and wait for God to act.
And wait, and wait.

Today I bottomed out --- fed up with trying to act Christian but not
feeling it in my heart, and not seeing it in my actions and words with family
and friends..  Tired of presenting my views of Christianity to
Christians and non-Christians alike who actually enjoy putting
others down more than they enjoy sharing their own thoughts.  And fed up with
those many Christians out there who never do more than look-in on the
newsgroup, or write email only to complain when their sensitivities have been
offended, very few words of support.  Tired of listening to pious Christian
words, mine and others, and the poisonous anti-God words.  Tired of
defending God's goodness when it is hard for me to see and believe in.
Fed up with myself for not being the person I think I'm supposed to be.
And mad at God for not lifting a hand to help.

So I plopped into my chair today and smoldered.  I read the newsgroups
only to find more junk, finished with that and smoldered even more.  Then
my best friend Bob dropped by.  He is at one of our other plants, and
very seldom makes it over here.  We talked.  He reminded me I used to
say "Say a prayer and go like hell"; an updated version of `pray as if
everything depends on God, and act as if everything depends on you.'
Then he mentioned the phrase I dislike so much - "God helps those who
help themselves."  We talked about it.  He had a meeting to go to, so
I went back to the newsgroups, and found new articles, one by Kiki where she
made the same exact statement and spoke on the idea some.

The more I think about it, the more I realize Jesus didn't seek out
people to heal, they sought Him out.  There is even one instance where
two blind men called to Him and He walked right by them.  They ran after Him
trying to get His attention.  I can just picture them falling and bumping
into things.  They catch up to Him, and He asks them what they want.  You can
figure the rest of the story.  There's the woman who was hemoraging - she had
to go to Him.  Even the centurion and the parents of the girl who died had to
go to Jesus to ask Him to come to where His help was needed.  The man on the
stretcher had to have friends tear up the roof of a house to lower him
on the stretcher down to Jesus inside the house.

Then I remembered the place where Jesus says to `ask, seek and knock'.
I wonder why I have to act first, why can't He, He is God anyway.
What strikes me thru all this is something I already know, but wish was
easy to live, so I fight it - God wants me to know what I want, and to know
I can depend on Him to answer, provide and open the things I need in life.

God Bless,

Mike Andrews (PTL)

dcm@sfsup.UUCP (David C. Miller, consultant) (10/18/86)

In article <6281@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> Mike writes:

>I wonder why I have to act first, why can't He, He is God anyway.

Have you ever had someone do something for you without your asking them?
And then felt a bit miffed that they didn't let you know what they were doing?
Well, It's sort of like that in our relationship with God.  If He was always
"butting in" and fixing things unasked, I think 2 things would occur.

    1.  A lot of people would grow to resent His "interference".

	Sort of the way a teenager does when his or her parents lay down
	the law.  More often than not the person being helped is not
	necessarily in a position to understand that what has been done is
	for their own good.

    2.  The people that didn't would come to depend on His divine intervention.

	I sure we have all encountered this or at least seen it happen to
	someone else.  The problem is that man is basically greedy and lazy.
	I've heard many a teenager praying something like, "Dear God, please
	help me pass this test," when they haven't even opened the text book.
	This brings up the same Catch-22 as above.  What if something that
	we expected God to do wasn't in our best interest?  I suspect a lot
	of people would be crying, "if God loves me why didn't he...."

Also, don't forget that we've been given free choice.  God's not going to
interfere where he hasn't been asked.  Plus, going through things instead
of around them is a good learning experience.  I'm sure Mike learned something
through this experience.

>What strikes me thru all this is something I already know, but wish was
>easy to live, so I fight it - God wants me to know what I want, and to know
>I can depend on Him to answer, provide and open the things I need in life.

Sigh, it is hard.  We always seem to fight so against what is best for us.
I guess that's just part of life on Earth.  It is however refreshing to
remember that "My God shall supply all my needs according to His riches
in Glory" and that He causes "all things to work together for the good for
those that love the Lord."

>God Bless,
>
>Mike Andrews (PTL)

Maranatha!
Dave Miller (ihnp4!sfsup!dcm)

[I received two other attempts at postings today. Unfortunately the bodies
 of the messages were empty.  Both of them were via seismo, with which we
 have been having horrible communications problems.  I sent mail to
 the original authors, but I am afraid it may not get through.  Hence
 this note.   --clh ]

bourland@unc.UUCP (Daniel Bourland) (10/23/86)

Fortunately, this phrase is not scripture and thus, we (Christians)
are not "bound" to it.  The problem with this little phrase is that
grace is eliminated from the picture - that is, if we do something,
God will reward us.  That's called conditional love.  Christ died
for us, regardless of anything we could be or do - His death was not
by our merit, but by God's grace.  His death for us is act of grace.
Now, it may be that this phrase is used out of context (I have heard
it ascribed to Winston Churchill), because there are some Christians
who are spiritually well-fed, but refuse to act on their knowledge
and/in faith (the Corinthians are an example).  I can see God in a
sense "waiting" for these people (I am one of them occassionally)
to respond, however, it is only by His grace that any response is
possible.  To believe that we must first create within ourselves
the motivation to act, then God will help us, is not the will of
our loving God.  The bottom line is grace without merit.