[mod.religion.christian] Do Roman Catholics worship Mary ? No, only God is worshipped.

ptl@fluke.UUCP (01/13/87)

Hi,							1/5/87

In a recent article Tom Albrecht writes:
> ... Mariology ... Mariolatry ... The Catholic church uses three terms when
> discussing this concept of Mary worship: latria, dulia and hyperdulia.
> ... but in practice most Catholics' attempts to get to God stop at Mary. ...

I take Mariology to mean "study of Mary, the mother of God" - sounds fine to
me; she is special to Him, and a great example in obedience.

I take Mariolatry to mean "worship of Mary" - not so good.  Only God is to be
worshipped.  To say or imply this is either taught by the Roman Catholic
church or practiced by a majority of Roman Catholics is simply spreading
falsehoods and confusion.  Falsehoods and confusion do not come from God.

A lot of people, like yourself, turn away from religion, or certain beliefs
and denominations, because they have been hurt by one thing or another.
If you think you're the only one ever hurt, you're wrong ... very wrong.
I was thinking seriously of becoming a priest, but changed my mind.  I almost
left the Roman Catholic church 14 years ago - to become a Baptist [how's that
for a change of pace, folks :-) ].  I admire the Baptists for their study of
the Scriptures; and I wanted that.  But my love of the Mass kept me in the RC
church.

What hurt the most I guess, was the belief somehow that if I was kind
and nice to everyone else, they'd be kind and nice to me.  The shock of leaving
a Roman Catholic environment to go to college; learning life wasn't as kind and
peaceful as I'd been brought to believe [or rather chose to hope it would
be] really hurt.  And, with the Second Vatican Council, learning from the
heirarchy that they weren't perfect, that the RC church must change, as well
as some of what we believed over the centuries - tore away a foundation I had.
To learn what was a sin yesterday, now had to be looked at on a personal
basis instead, and may not be a sin today, really made me stop and think that
the RC church was wrong from the start.  It took years for me to come to the
realization that the RC church was growing, and growth requires change.  And
that God has His Hand on the RC church; as the revisions, though some painful,
are intended to make the RC church more responsive to the needs of the
people who make up this denomination, and lead us to a deeper personal love
for God, others and ourselves.

It all sounds nice, but it is taking years, and a lot of hard work - and it
is paying off.  Many Roman Catholics are now involved in their denomination:
lectoring (reading scriptures at Mass), assisting the priest at the
Eucharist during Mass (both men and women distributing the hosts and wine),
working in the parish council dealing with financial and school matters,
working in child, young adult and adult education programs, ... .  You get
the idea.  I mean, good grief --- there are even Roman Catholics involved in
Bible studies and prayer groups!!! :-)

God Bless,

Mike Andrews

hedrick@topaz.UUCP (Charles Hedrick) (01/20/87)

I have received another article describing childhood experiences with
teachers who inculcated something very near to worship of Mary.  I got
protests when the first of these articles was posted, on the grounds
that this looked very much like the sort of attack that I had said was
inappropriate on this group.  I think further postings of the same
nature are probably a bad idea.  We all know that there are
characteristic abuses that flourish in every group.  The adoration of
the Blessed Virgin can go too far, and no doubt has done so in a
number of cases.  But Protestants have their own characteristic
abuses.  (For evidence of that, see any issue of the Wittenburg Door,
assuming that delightful magazine is still being issued.)  I think we
should be pleased to hear from our Catholic correspondents that things
are being done about many of the Catholic weak spots.  I don't think
we want to ignore the very real differences among Christian groups.
But I am reluctant to see the traditional stereotypical attacks in
this group.  I'd be happy to see things like "gee, this thing you guys
do seems really wierd to me.  It seems to contradict I Armaments 2:23.
Can you explain the significance it has to you?"