[mod.religion.christian] IQ level of the diciples

christian@topaz.UUCP (04/05/87)

>Subject: Re: More Questions on Christianity<

>Luke, the physician, and Matthew, the tax collector, were a members of
>the "crew."  So I would conclude from Luke's profession that he was a
>scholar. By studing the book of Matthew and examining the style in
>which it is written, one can conclude that Matthew was an Old
>Testament scholar.  (N.B. the references to O.T.)

Luke wasn't one of the 12 disciples. He actually didn't even meet
Jesus.  He only knew him by the info given to him by Paul.  Matthew
was indeed a tax collector.  This is an important fact since in those
times the tax collectors and the whores were the lowest class in Judea
and Galilee. Tax collector was another title for a sinner. It's VERY
unlikely that a sinner would be an OT scholar in those times. There
are certain places in the NT where Jesus or the society refers to the
tax collectors as sinners.  The fact remains as it is: The "crew"'s
members weren't too educated.