[mod.religion.christian] Canaanites and a loving God

christian@topaz.UUCP (04/15/87)

Hi,

Subject: Re:Joshua and the conquest of Canaan

John Ockerbloom writes about the slaughter of the Canaanites and
others, and asks

>... I can't fathom the morality behind this.  I don't see how the loving God
>of Christianity (or pre-Christianity) could order what I have to call
>genocide. Does anyone on the net have any thoughts or explanations? ...

You're not alone in wondering about this and many other examples of
what we today would consider atrocities.  For me, since I cannot make
a reasoned answer that satisfies me, I finally come to two things.
First, in faith I believe God dealt with the people and situations in
the ways that were best, regardless of how they appear on the surface.
Maybe God knew how our world would be today if the Isrealites had
intermarried with the Canaanites, so what was done was done for the
best of those who chose then and choose today to follow Him.  Maybe
the world would not exist today had certain peoples been allowed to
continue.  Maybe God gave them the chances to change and they didn't
take them, so to protect those who do choose to follow Him, and to
keep His promises of protection, He destroyed those who would destroy
His.  Lots of `maybes' - each `maybe' is an attempt to reason the
answer, and each reason leaves kind of an emptiness as far as seeing a
loving God.  That is one reason why I come to the point were I choose
to believe in faith that God did what was best for all.  I want to
believe it, if I don't then His promises of love for me and you don't
fit.  When I do believe this, then I find myself looking at God's hand
at work even this moment, working all for our best.

Second, I look at Jesus.  Jesus said if you've seen Him, you've seen
the Father.  I never see Jesus hate any person --- only the sin we get
involved in.  Even when He drove the money changers out of the temple,
He was angry.  But there was no hate involved for even those He drove
out.  How do I know - look at what He did and why.  The Jewish temples
had an inner and outer circle.  The Jewish men were allowed in the
inner circle.  Jewish women and those who were not born Jews but
followed the Jewish faith had to pray in the outer circle.  [Side note
- this is why St. Paul tells women to be silent in church - for them
to be heard by the men in church in those days, they'd have to shout
over the wall.  Today the intent of St. Paul's words still applies -
don't disturb others in church, whether you're a man or woman.]  This
outer circle was also the area used by the money changers and animal
sellers; the noise must have been fierce.  As Jesus referred to the
Scriptures, God's temple was being misused.  So I see God (Jesus)
concerned for everyone.  If any of the money changers and animal
sellers wanted to come back to pray and use the temple as a temple, I
doubt Jesus would have thrown them out again.  He was making the
temple a place in which they could pray, too, without interruptions
and distractions.  For me, this points to his love for the sinner and
anger with the sin.

So putting these two things together, I rest on faith to tell me God
does what He knows is best for all, and He does it out of love for us.
I know, it still leaves an empty feeling about a loving God - but
faith looks at what we hope for, an eternity with God and our loved
ones, and looks past what we cannot explain or reason.  Remember one
more thing, Jesus said he brought us a new covenant: no longer are we
called to take an eye for an eye, but to turn the other cheek.  Maybe
God figured we'd grown up some and were ready for the next step?  Ah -
more reasoning.

God Bless,

Mike Andrews (PTL)