[soc.women] Boys vs. Girls

cheryl@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (cheryl) (09/17/86)

In article <1025@ucbcad.BERKELEY.EDU> faustus@ucbcad.BERKELEY.EDU (Wayne A. Christopher) writes:

>How about this: an irresponsible girl gets pregnant in order to trap
>her boyfriend into marriage (let's say the girl is 17 and the boy is
>19).  He refuses, and a court orders him to pay child support.
>Instead, he proposes that the child be taken away from the girl and be
>put in his custody (he has a good job and is a generally ok guy).
>Is there be any chance that a court would allow this?
>	Wayne

Yes.  I know of two cases where this has happened.  In both cases the
women were not *real* *bad* (not drug addict prostitute types) and *NOT*
all that young (early twenties, not 17).  Their only real problems
were a lack of education, poor employment records, low social standing,
and a history of instability.

But of course all us "hardened feminists" are asking for is a higher
level of education , better employment opportunities, higher social
standing for women in general.    I would say that taking custody
away from such a woman would be doing her a favor by giving her
a chance to establish herself better, and making it clear that her
standards for an adequate home for an infant are unacceptably low.

Cheryl