[soc.women] Group / matrilineal marriage

eric@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Eric Fielding) (09/18/86)

In article <5250@decwrl.DEC.COM> chabot@3d.dec.com writes:
>> One great (?) idea I once had was that a clan system could be
>> started up in *colleges*, in much the same way that the present
>> Greek system works, only with the houses accepting both sexes.
>
>Er, well, the two fraternities with which I was affiliated as an undergraduate,
>one in which we smashed our fingers with a hammer in our own house, and one
>in which we mostly smashed our fingers with hammers in other people's houses,
>had significant occurences of "incest".  These were both coed fraternities
>..
>Many happy marriages resulted from relationships begun within both
>fraternities.
>Also, if for 18 years you've
>heard that foos are for dating, sometimes it's hard to keep your heart pure.:-)
>
>L S Chabot

I was also a brother in a coed fraternity in college (we called men and women
"brothers").  Incest was common, but in our case there were no rules against
it.  It seemed kind of natural to go out with people that had enough similar
interests to join the same fraternity and whom one saw often.  The 50/50
ratio of our frat also provided small relaxed atmosphere compared to the
rest of Dartmouth with its then 2.5:1 male:female ratio.  I did have one
friend who tried to date only women outside the house on principle.  As
far as it being a matriarchal clan, we had female house presidents for several
years in a row.  The incest occasionally caused problems when things went sour,
but it sure is convenient when you are already living in the same house ;-).

				--Eric Fielding
DARPA Internet:

eric@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu