[soc.women] Do We Really NEED This Group?

scott@hou2g.UUCP (Ma-Ma-Ma-Max Ma-Ma-Max Headroom) (09/23/86)

Well, after attempting to get through all the articles in this group,
I've noticed something interesting.  Roughly 2 % of the articles here
on net.women were NOT cross-posted to/from somewhere else.  Why don't we
just eliminated the group?  Unless you want to read about business
letter salutations, everything on here can be read in net.singles,
net.religion.jewish, or the occasional foray into net.jokes. :-)

Seriously, do you think this observation has escaped the notice of
the "powers that be", and their net.reorganization?  Let's cut down
on the cross-posting, OK?

"I was watching television recently and something occurred to me.
 If you play with the contrast knob, you can make Peter Jennings
 look like a Klingon."
		Scott J. Berry		ihnp4!hou2g!scott

larrabee@decwrl.DEC.COM (Tracy Larrabee) (09/25/86)

In article <982@hou2g.UUCP> scott@hou2g.UUCP (Ma-Ma-Ma-Max Ma-Ma-Max Headroom) writes:

>Well, after attempting to get through all the articles in this group,
>I've noticed something interesting.  Roughly 2 % of the articles here
>on net.women were NOT cross-posted to/from somewhere else.  Why don't we
>just eliminated the group?  Unless you want to read about business
>letter salutations, everything on here can be read in net.singles,
>net.religion.jewish, or the occasional foray into net.jokes. :-)

I suggest you not read this group.  As for me, my newsreading software
will only show me a cross-posted article in the first group I read to
which it is posted.  Not to mention that I have completely given up on
net.singles and net.jokes.

Why do people waste bandwidth trying to get rid of groups they clearly
have no sympathy for?
--
Tracy Larrabee	tracy@sushi.stanford.edu	decwrl!larrabee

bogstad@brl-smoke.ARPA (William Bogstad ) (09/27/86)

In article <982@hou2g.UUCP> scott@hou2g.UUCP (Ma-Ma-Ma-Max Ma-Ma-Max Headroom) writes:

>Well, after attempting to get through all the articles in this group,
>I've noticed something interesting.  Roughly 2 % of the articles here
>on net.women were NOT cross-posted to/from somewhere else.  Why don't we
>just eliminated the group?  Unless you want to read about business
>letter salutations, everything on here can be read in net.singles,
>net.religion.jewish, or the occasional foray into net.jokes. :-)
>
>Seriously, do you think this observation has escaped the notice of
>the "powers that be", and their net.reorganization?  Let's cut down
>on the cross-posting, OK?

	I agree with your comments about reducing cross posting, but
I have to dispute your figures.  I am reading your message using rn in
the newsgroup "soc.women" and when I entered the group there were
approximately 130 messages.  I executed the command: /Newsgroups:.*,/hj
which kills all mesages which have commas in their Newsgroups line, i.e.
all cross-posted messages.  There were 46 messages after this command
completed.  I think this level of cross-posting is far to high, but it is
a far cry from 2%.

				Bill Bogstad
				bogstad@hopkins-eecs-bravo.arpa