[soc.women] Talking about others

matt@oddjob.UUCP (Matt Crawford) (09/18/86)

In article <1953@dciem.UUCP> royk@dciem.UUCP writes:
>  Mine always said that
>one can never be upset by anyone speaking the truth about you.

I don't agree with this.  I could upset a few people by
broadcasting some perfectly true things about them, and they
could do the same to me.  (They damn well better not! :-)
Matt		University	crawford@anl-mcs.arpa
Crawford	of Chicago	ihnp4!oddjob!matt

Being a BALD HERO is almost as FESTIVE as a TATTOOED KNOCKWURST.

jc@cdx39.UUCP (John Chambers) (09/22/86)

> Mine always said that
> one can never be upset by anyone speaking the truth about you.

C'mon, is anyone really that naive?  There was the case a couple
years back, reported in much of the scientific press, of a fellow
who finally found out why all his grant applications to any
federal agency had been turned down.  It seems that the FBI
had found out that back in the 30's, long before he had met
his future wife, his future father-in-law had subscribed to
a "communist" publication for about 6 months, then dropped
the subscription.  This sufficed to get his future son-in-law
reported as a potential subversive 40 years later.

OK, it's stupid.  But it had a drastic impact on this fellow's
whole career.  And he never claimed it was false.

There used to be a common-law rule that you were forgiven minor
"offenses" after 7 years.  This isn't true in our society.  Facts
about you can follow you the rest of your life, and can be visited
on your descendants (or even on casual acquaintances).

Some years ago, my phone was tapped by someone.  Upstairs from
me lived a fellow who was very active in all sorts of radical
politics, and I occasionally deigned to talk to him.  I expect
that it could hurt my chances for credit and/or employment if
the true fact were known that my phone has been tapped "for
cause".  Although it's true, I'm not so sanguine about it being
noised about to any witch-hunters that may be in the vicinity.

I regularly attend a Unitarian "church"; in the Boston area this
is an accepted and "normal" thing to do (even if they do have a
harpsichord in the chapel :-).  If I were to move back to the
South, I'm not too sure I'd want it generally known that I have
attended this church, which as everyone knows is full of all
sorts of humanists, peaceniks, pinkos, and other subversive
types.  I'd have a justified fear of having a cross burnt in
my front yard, if not in my living room.

On another front, I once lived in a strongly Mormon area (as
do many of my relatives).  I was good friends with the local
Baptist minister and his family.  After a few years, they
moved out of town.  They couldn't get insurance on their
home any more (after dozens of broken windows and petty
burglaries).  Also, their teen-age son was hospitalized
for most of a year as a result of a beating he received;
the culprits bragged about it openly, and weren't prosecuted.

So much for the truth being harmless.

Yes, we DO live in a country where people do things like that.
Don't be so naive!

--
	John M Chambers
Phone: 617/364-2000x7304

ellen@dciem.UUCP (Ellen Leibman) (09/29/86)

In article <320@cdx39.UUCP> jc@cdx39.UUCP (John Chambers) writes:
                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
					 Actually, I (Ellen) said it!
>> Mine always said that
>> one can never be upset by anyone speaking the truth about you.

This was in response to an opinion seeker wondering about posting info about
his SO on the net!  My, you certainly are quick to jump on a soapbox.

[many horror stories of people misusing or being harmed by the truth being
spoken about them, mostly by the U.S. Gov't. or small town bigots!]

>So much for the truth being harmless.
>
>Yes, we DO live in a country where people do things like that.
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Don't be so naive!

Actually, I don't.  Check the original posting and you'll see.  This IS an
International Network you know!

I still maintain that if I never do anything I am ashamed of I can't be hurt
by the truth.  I will allow certain disclaimers to this.  I am not totally
naive.  There are certain limits to how much truth about me and to whom it is
told I would like to see distributed (sorry about the English!).  The statement
was made in reference to information being exchanged in casual conversation
or discussions.  Not in formal business meetings or tale telling to my mother.
Just in the case of reasonable people having a conversation.

>	John M Chambers

Ellen Leibman (guest user)
{hplabs!seismo!mnetor, decwrl!decvax, ihnp4, watmath}...!utzoo!dciem!royk