[net.sf-lovers] Best SF <[DFilm

muffy@lll-crg.ARPA (Muffy Barkocy) (02/28/85)

> Also who wrote THE SHEEP LOOK UP , ( an english guy ?) , the
> Best SF Book of all time .
>
> -Julian Long

John Brunner.  The sequel to this is STAND ON ZANZIBAR, I believe.

					Muffy

jsc@ucbvax.ARPA (James Carrington) (02/28/85)

> On the subject of Best SF film . Has any one seen a film called
> UBX 11.. i can't remember the whole title . It is a futureistic
> society type film (1984 ish) this guy is getting all sorts from
> them in charge , funny seens with his wife/lover? . Oh yes , the
> police are robots , everyone is bald , i think they have to
> take some drug ? now it's starting to sound like brave new world .

This sounds an awful lot like THX 1138, George Lucas's first(?) film.
a very strange movie...

-----
PS -- George Lucas/Star Wars Trivia Question: what cell block did Han Solo
and Luke Skywalker tell Leia's guards they were transferring Chewbacca from?
--
					James Steven Carrington
					The INGRES Project

tedi@dartvax.UUCP (Edward M. Ives) (03/01/85)

> From: Julian R. Long <jlong@BBNCCM.ARPA>
>

> On the subject of Best SF film . Has any one seen a film called
> UBX 11.. i can't remember the whole title . It is a futureistic
> society type film (1984 ish) this guy is getting all sorts from
> them in charge , funny seens with his wife/lover? . Oh yes , the
> police are robots , everyone is bald , i think they have to
> take some drug ? now it's starting to sound like brave new world .
> It has a real nail bitting ending .. but of course i wouldn't tell
> about that . I saw it in england  it was in colour so must be
> fairly new ?? .
> 	Also what about some of the REAL clasics like METROPOLIS .
> A must for anyone who wants to be a real s-f fan , black&white
> very old and , of course ,  silent .
>
> Also who wrote THE SHEEP LOOK UP , ( an english guy ?) , the
> Best SF Book of all time .
>
> -Julian Long

I believe you are refferring to THX-1138, not UBX-11 something.  People on
here mention it once in awhile; it is worthy of note mainly because it was
George Lucas' first film.  It was kind of 1984ish with people running around
with bald heads and lots of bright white sets.  Doesn't seem quite the
"Best SF" material, though.
                                            -Ted Ives
                                        Dartmough College
                                        I mean DartmouTh
                                    philabs!ihnp4!dartvax!tedi

zmh10@udenva.UUCP (zmh10) (03/06/85)

> From: Julian R. Long <jlong@BBNCCM.ARPA>
>
> On the subject of Best SF film . Has any one seen a film called
> UBX 11.. i can't remember the whole title .
 The title is THX 1138.  The first film by everyone's pal
George Lucas.  The  phrase THX 1138 shows up as Harrison Ford's
license plate in American Graffiti and as a serial number in Star Wars
Also, THX is the name of Lucasfilm's new sound system.  Neat, hunh?

Steve Howard.

leeper@ahutb.UUCP (m.r.leeper) (03/10/85)

REFERENCES:  <798@topaz.ARPA>, <485@udenva.UUCP>

>> On the subject of Best SF film . Has any one seen a film called
>> UBX 11.. i can't remember the whole title .
> The title is THX 1138.

Yup, that's what it is all right.  40 net responses identifying a film
can't be wrong!!!  Is there some way to be sure this is the last
response on this question?

				Mark Leeper
				...ihnp4!ahutb!leeper