[soc.women] responsible for self-defense?

tjc@hrcca.UUCP (Thomas J. Chapin) (09/28/86)

> In article <169@omssw1.UUCP> hays@omssw1.UUCP (Kirk Hays) writes:
> >> [Does that mean that a shopkeeper who doesn't carry a shotgun is
> >> asking to be robbed?] [-my wording  [sjr]]
> >
> >Remember, kiddies, the cops can't be everywhere! 8-{)}

Everyone is responsible for their own self-defense in the same way
everyone is responsible for any other part of their life.  Adulthood
and autonomy consist of taking responsibility for one's life.  To
abdicate your own responsibility is  to remain a child.

You can contract out the job of protecting you to a police force, or an
army, or "a big strong man--My Hero!", but if you remain in danger then
you once again remain responsible for your own safety.
--
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Tom Chapin  @  AT&T-RM, Hickory Ridge Conference Centre, Lisle, IL

		       Sitting quietly, doing nothing,
		Spring comes, and the grass grows by itself.

benn@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Thomas Cox) (09/30/86)

In article <198@hrcca.UUCP> tjc@hrcca.UUCP (Thomas J. Chapin) writes:

>Everyone is responsible for their own self-defense in the same way
>everyone is responsible for any other part of their life.  Adulthood
>and autonomy consist of taking responsibility for one's life.  To
>abdicate your own responsibility is  to remain a child.

Every few months, I have this urge to post to net.politics.* and ask
"What is a RIGHT?  Where do they come from?  Who grants them?  Who
enforces them?"  I did that once, and never got ANY replies . . .

>You can contract out the job of protecting you to a police force, or an
>army, or "a big strong man--My Hero!", but if you remain in danger then
>you once again remain responsible for your own safety.

I'd like to nitpick on nuances here.  I don't give a tinker's damn over
"who's responsible" for my safety.  I care about BEING SAFE.  This
talk about responsibility sounds to me like we're looking for someone
to point a finger at *after* I get knifed.  I don't like that.

>Tom Chapin

Look:  the thing that comes first to my mind is, HOW do I stay safe?
Not, Who do I blame after it turns out I wasn't.  If women want to
be safe, then they need to do whatever makes them safe.  But it's
up to the individual to decide if that means staying in after dark,
or going out after dark w/ a gun, or taking karate, or what.

	"Honest!  It's just an opinion!  Look, take my wallet, but
	 don't make me read talk.abortion!"

-= Thomas Cox =-
...ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!benn