[soc.women] PBS's 'Story of English'

beth@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (JB) (09/30/86)

[Love is a nose, so ya better not pick it...or something like that.]

In article <15817@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> kos@ernie.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP
(Joshua Kosman) writes:
>In article <1992@mtgzy.UUCP> ecl@mtgzy.UUCP (e.c.leeper) writes:
>>Did anyone else watch Part 1 of "The Story of English" on PBS?
>
>Actually, I found it fairly diffuse and not consistently interesting.
>BUT: what I thought was more than simply a matter of taste was the brief
>segment on feminist critiques of language. While discussing the feminist
>objections to words like "mankind" and so on, the accompanying film footage
>was of a women's self-defense class, in which we could hear instructions
>like "now: groin kick!" This is apparently what feminism is about: women
>teaching other women to kick men in the balls.

Could we also here instructions like "now: kick *him* in the groin", or
did you just decide that they were aiming at men?  If it had been a class
of men training, would you have assumed they too were anti-male because
they kicked to the groin?

A kick to the groin is:
a) a basic move in almost all martial arts (which, BTW, have been
   traditionally overwhelmingly male dominated sports);
b) an effective defensive tactic against an attacker of either gender; and
c) not the least bit relevant to "what feminism is about" (nor is it, for
   that matter, relevant to the feminization of language).
--

--JB  ((Just) Beth Christy, U. of Chicago, ..!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!beth)

  All we learn from history is that we don't learn anything from history.