[soc.women] Lust, Fantisies, Men.

rb@cci632.UUCP (Rex Ballard) (09/30/86)

In article <30206e39.33cd@apollo.uucp> maggie@apollo.uucp (Margaret Daniel) writes:

>Marie desJardins (marie@ernie.Berkeley.EDU) says
>
>  There are many men out there (my husband included) who do not
>  think about sleeping with other women. There are all kinds of
>  people in this world. Sounds like you are trying to rationalize
>  this behavior/attitude by saying it can't be any other way.
>  Well, it can. All you have to do it try.
>
>I have to agree with Marie's statement. There *are* many perfectly
>normal men I've met who are not particularly interested in fantasizing
>about women with whom they are not involved in a relationship.

I can't remember where, but one of the famous sex researchers found that
a man averages a sexual thought about once every 15 minutes.  Younger
men more often, older men less often.  Women had them less often, and
younger women less often, older women more often. (Probably Masters and
Johnson).

If a man *never* lusted after a woman other than his regular partner,
he would not be *normal*.

>Sometimes I think our society overdramatizes the
>male sex drive, enforcing the whole "playboy" scenerio of man's need for
>endless sexual escapades. Who in the world could keep pace with this
>image (please, guys, this is a rhetorical question...)?

Actually, Playboys target audience (16-21 year old males) probably *could*
if they had the resources to do so :-).  Under certain conditions, a 16
year old male is capable of achieving orgasm as much as 10 times a day.
For a good, humorous look at this pattern, "Portnoy's Complaint" gives an
interesting example of such a person.  When this book came out, many 16
year olds thought the main character was very similar to themselves.

>To Dave Hayes, who replied to Marie's comment in this way,
>
>  C'mon Marie, hubby has NEVER made a remark about another woman's
>  looks? Well that was it, the momentary lust thought, you just
>  missed it... By the way, how do you know your husband has never
>  had these thoughts?
>
>I have to say c'mon Dave, we're not talking about "making a remark
>about another woman's looks" -- Marie is talking about a man's "thinking
>about sleeping with other women"! You're talking about two completely
>different things here.

Actually, we are talking about the same thing, just different degrees.
Most men have *thoughts* of lust, given the right stimulus.  How these
thoughts effect the individual's behavior may very, again with the
stimuli.

The reactions may very from man to man.  One may simply look at a woman
only for the period she is directly in front of him, another may suddenly
turn into a clumsy oaf straining his neck.  Rarely will a man actually
attempt to follow up on even the more arousing encounters.  This is
primarily because they realise that the fantasy and the reality are
likely to be quite different.

Given the right conditions, a man can lust madly for his own wife,
yet not even tell her directly.

A simple excercise in observation is to go to any shopping center
and notice who has "rubber necks", for what, and how often.
Rubbernecking is not an exclusively male characteristic either.  Given
the right stimuli, women (especially teen-agers) will be less than
discrete about it.

>Do you think I lose sleep
>over any silly daydreams that he might have concerning other women?

Good for you.  Very seldom is lust the *only* cause for a man to "fool
around".

nolan@lll-crg.ARpA (Matt Nolan) (10/01/86)

>a man averages a sexual thought about once every 15 minutes.  Younger

 I am pretty sure it is 15 seconds not minutes.

 ... 11 12 13 14 Boing!

Matt