[soc.women] public restrooms

mcb@styx.UUCP (Michael C. Berch) (09/24/86)

In article <524@ucdavis.UUCP> ccrdave@ucdavis.UUCP (Lord Kahless) writes:
> . . .
> In order to prevent discrimination between the sexes, and to end
> these antiquated, sexist and illegal moral codes, it's obvious
> that we must eliminate the distinction between men's and women's
> bathrooms by breaking down the wall between the two bathrooms and
> having one giant bathroom with "TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN" on the door.
>
> Let's all work now to stop this antiquated separation of the sexes.
> Break down bathroom barriers at your company or college, and treat
> the sexes as one.

This article was (I assume) meant to be facetious, but I should point
out that this has been done in various places, notably some dorms and
office/classroom buildings at Univ. of Calif., Berkeley while I was
there in the mid-70's, with no great uproar, and worked quite well.
It is the standard in many parts of the world, and I noticed some relatively
large, unisex public restrooms in several places in Japan (at resorts
and parks) on my trip there last year.

Michael C. Berch
ARPA: mcb@lll-tis-b.ARPA
UUCP: {ihnp4,dual,sun}!lll-lcc!styx!mcb

credmond@watmath.UUCP (Chris Redmond) (09/26/86)

>> Let's all work now to stop this antiquated separation of the sexes.
>> Break down bathroom barriers at your company or college, and treat
>> the sexes as one.
>
>This article was (I assume) meant to be facetious, but I should point
>out that this has been done in various places, notably some dorms and
>office/classroom buildings at Univ. of Calif., Berkeley while I was
>there in the mid-70's, with no great uproar, and worked quite well.
>It is the standard in many parts of the world, and I noticed some relatively
>large, unisex public restrooms in several places in Japan (at resorts
>and parks) on my trip there last year.

It might also be the solution to one of the pettier forms of sex
discrimination -- the imbalance between the public restrooms provided
for men (nearly always adequate) and those provided for women (very
often inadequate -- hence the lineups for women's rooms at theatres,
concert halls, stadiums and so on).

alan@cae780.UUCP (Alan M. Steinberg) (09/29/86)

>>This article was (I assume) meant to be facetious, but I should point
>>out that this has been done in various places, notably some dorms and
>>office/classroom buildings at Univ. of Calif., Berkeley while I was
>>there in the mid-70's, with no great uproar, and worked quite well.

And in the 80's.  Toilet stalls posed little problem, but I've heard of
cases where men are doing their business in the urinals, when a woman would
walk in, and they'd say hi to each other, which is fine, as long as he
doesn't forget what he's doing and turns around  :-).

>It might also be the solution to one of the pettier forms of sex
>discrimination -- the imbalance between the public restrooms provided
>for men (nearly always adequate) and those provided for women (very
>often inadequate -- hence the lineups for women's rooms at theatres,
>concert halls, stadiums and so on).

I thought the imbalance was in the size of women's bladders.  I guess making
more facilities for women than for men would solve that imbalance.  Perhaps
having three bathrooms  -- men's, women's, and either would help solve the
problem for more liberal-minding people.

--
                                             Alan Steinberg
                                             textronix!cae780!alan

Helllp, Mr. Wizarrrrd!  I don't want to be a programmer anymore!

rlw@briar.UUCP (Richard Wexelblat) (09/30/86)

Yeah, next thing you know men and women will have to share bathrooms on
airplanes!

vickyb@rosevax.UUCP (Vicky) (10/02/86)

>>It might also be the solution to one of the pettier forms of sex
>>discrimination -- the imbalance between the public restrooms provided
>>for men (nearly always adequate) and those provided for women (very
>>often inadequate -- hence the lineups for women's rooms at theatres,
>>concert halls, stadiums and so on).
>
>Gee, I thought that it was because women always seem to go to the
>wc in groups...   Silly me!
>--
>Andrew Scott Beals	(member of HASA - A and S divisions)
>bandy@lll-crg.arpa	{ihnp4,seismo,ll-xn,ptsfa,pyramid}!lll-crg!bandy
>LLNL, P.O. Box 808, Mailstop L-419, Livermore CA 94550 (415) 423-1948

	Actually, I think this is a silly issue to be debating.  I can speak
from experience when I say that very very seldom is the mens restroom larger
than the womens restroom anywhere.  I say I speak from experience because I
live approximately half my life as a man and half as a woman (I am a
cross-dresser).  The problem I have noticed in the womens restrooms vs the mens
restrooms is that it just plain takes women longer to do the same job than it
does men.  They usually have more facilities, but it takes longer and YES they
do go in groups!!  The thing I have always bitched about more is the fact that
many places seem to think men do not care about their appearance.  I say this
because I'll go somewhere and the womens restroom is clean and well equipped,
but the next time I go there, the mens restroom has NO mirrors and sinks with
spring-loaded faucets that won't stay on long enough to wash your hands!!

					Vicky Burton

	These ideas are totally mine and no one elses and I thought of
	them all by myself, yes I did!

bl@hplabsb.UUCP (Bruce T. Lowerre) (10/07/86)

In article <393@briar.UUCP>, rlw@briar.UUCP (Richard Wexelblat) writes:
> Yeah, next thing you know men and women will have to share bathrooms on
> airplanes!

Or worse, at home!!

`Men's restrooms'.  `Women's restrooms'.  Whatever became of `restrooms'?

(The booths are private.  Why should we worry about seeing each other
over sinks and soap?)
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 454 1516)
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris