[soc.women] Changing names

gooley@uicsl.UUCP (09/17/86)

What's so ordinary about the name Smith?  G. K. Chesterton once wrote an
essay about the romance and excitement behind the name.  Recall what a
smith does, especially a blacksmith: pounding red-hot steel into shape.
Dull?  Prosaic?  Hardly.  (Chesterton put it much better than I can.)  If
my name were Smith, I would take great pride in it.

herbie@polaris.UUCP (Herb Chong) (09/17/86)

In article <3212@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU> nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) writes:
>My opinion: Only change your name if he'll also change his.  In that
>case, change both your names to something unrelated to either of you
>that you can both agree upon.

in Chinese weddings, neither the bride or the groom change their family
names.  the Anglicised version is often changed just because it is
traditional in western societies.  my mother's Chinese and Anglicised
family names did not change but very few people outside the family know
that.  to every one she is introduced to, she is Susie Chong.

Herb Chong, IBM Research...

I'm still user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....
(Note: address may disappear after September 22, 1986.  stay tuned to
net.net-people for any changes.)

VNET,BITNET,NETNORTH,EARN: HERBIE AT YKTVMH
UUCP:  {allegra|cbosgd|cmcl2|decvax|ihnp4|seismo}!philabs!polaris!herbie
CSNET: herbie%ibm.com@csnet-relay
ARPA:  herbie@ibm.com, herbie%yktvmh.bitnet@wiscvm.wisc.edu
DISCLAIMER:  what you just read was produced by pouring lukewarm
tea for 42 seconds onto 9 people chained to 6 Ouiji boards.

robt@molihp.UUCP (Robert L Thurlow) (09/18/86)

  I have gone  through  life with my own name of Robert  Thurlow  and am
quite  pleased with it.  It is  relatively  rare, and most people I know
with  the  name  are  related   somehow.  There  is  a  Thurlow  in  the
Encyclopedia  Brittanica (real a**hole, too :-), and a couple of islands
and a town up north of here, plus a street in  downtown  Vancouver,  are
named Thurlow.  So I wouldn't change my name; why should my SO do so?  I
think that the name change is something  that is  anachronistic  and not
really  rational, and I think I would be proud to have an SO who did not
want to lose a part of herself  for me.  On the other  hand, if her last
name was Smith or Jones or Schattenkirchner, what the hell ...  :-)

#   UUCP : ...!ubc_vision!molihp!robt		Robert Thurlow		#
#   My thoughts are my own, and are void where prohibited by law.	#
#   "There was something fishy about the butler.  I think he was a	#
#    Pisces, probably working for scale."	-Nick Danger, 3rd Eye	#

jeffw@midas.UUCP (Jeff Winslow) (09/19/86)

In article <99800002@uicsl> gooley@uicsl.UUCP writes:

>What's so ordinary about the name Smith?  G. K. Chesterton once wrote an
>essay about the romance and excitement behind the name.

G. K. Chesterton is considered a master of paradox.

						Jeff Winslow

paul@mba.UUCP (Nuthin' Fancy) (09/19/86)

Consider "DiGiacomo".
Consider "Yost".
Consider "DiGiacoYost".
Consider the fact that it is being considered.

					paul yost.

					Keep the spirit aLIVE
							 AID.

PS-  ...consider the HORROR!

huds@ur-tut.UUCP (Andrew Hudson) (09/27/86)

A few years ago when my sister got married she decided neither to take
her spouse's last name nor keep her own but to hyphenate the two.
This was due in part to feminist attitudes, and also to the fact
that I'm the last Hudson son and I'm not planning on getting married -
keep the lineage alive!  So now she goes by Hudson-Hankins.
We kid her about being a Hudhank, or a Hudkin, or a Hankson but you
should see what shows up on junk mail addressing!

A. Hudson

The last in line...

gordon@cae780.UUCP (Brian Gordon) (09/30/86)

In article <730@ur-tut.UUCP> huds@ur-tut.UUCP (Andrew Hudson) writes:
>A few years ago when my sister got married she decided neither to take
>her spouse's last name nor keep her own but to hyphenate the two.
>	[...]
>keep the lineage alive!  So now she goes by Hudson-Hankins.
>We kid her about being a Hudhank, or a Hudkin, or a Hankson but you

That always struck me a short-sighted.  My spouse and I could have become
Troublefield-Gordons, then the children from the families could marry to
form Troublefield-Gordon-Hudson-Hankins.  In the meantime, the offspring of
the Barton-Smiths and Kelsey_Gonzales (former co-workers) could have married,
and eventually, the
Troublefield-Gordon-Hudson-Hankins-Kelsey-Gonzales-Barton-Smith family's
children could look forward to seeing THEIR grandchildren's names ...

If you aren't both comfortable with one of the existing names, pick a new
one, don't combine the existing ones.

FROM:   Brian G. Gordon, CAE Systems Division of Tektronix, Inc.
UUCP:   tektronix!cae780!gordon
	{ihnp4, decvax!decwrl}!amdcad!cae780!gordon
        {hplabs, resonex, qubix, leadsv}!cae780!gordon
USNAIL: 5302 Betsy Ross Drive/#58137, Santa Clara, CA  95052-8137
AT&T:   (408)748-4817 [direct]    (408)727-1234 [switchboard]

whitehur@tymix.UUCP (Pamela K. Whitehurst) (10/02/86)

In article <2750@cae780.UUCP> gordon@cae780.UUCP (Brian Gordon) writes:
>In article <730@ur-tut.UUCP> huds@ur-tut.UUCP (Andrew Hudson) writes:
>>A few years ago when my sister got married she decided neither to take
>>her spouse's last name nor keep her own but to hyphenate the two.
>>	[...]
>>keep the lineage alive!  So now she goes by Hudson-Hankins.
>>We kid her about being a Hudhank, or a Hudkin, or a Hankson but you
>
>That always struck me a short-sighted.  My spouse and I could have become
>Troublefield-Gordons, then the children from the families could marry to
>form Troublefield-Gordon-Hudson-Hankins.  In the meantime, the offspring of
>the Barton-Smiths and Kelsey_Gonzales (former co-workers) could have married,
>and eventually, the
>Troublefield-Gordon-Hudson-Hankins-Kelsey-Gonzales-Barton-Smith family's
>children could look forward to seeing THEIR grandchildren's names ...
>
>If you aren't both comfortable with one of the existing names, pick a new
>one, don't combine the existing ones.

Unless what you want is a combination of the existing ones... I just
can't sit back and let someone preach absolutes about what to do with
last names! Next thing you know someone is going to legislate a maximum
length (how about 8 characters)!

I assume the children will have better sense than to continue the tradition
past a reasonable point.  They know that
Troublefield-Gordon-Hudson-Hankins-Kelsey-Gonzalas-Barton-Smith will not
fit in a 10 character computer name field (or on the top of a check), but
then that may be a reason they would choose to continue the tradition.

--
Disclaimer: This is just my responding, with an ambiguous language, to
what someone else wrote, in an ambiguous language. At no time did I

       Pamela K. Whitehurst
 ...!hplabs!oliveb!tymix!whitehur
 ...!sun!idi!tymix!whitehur

"Yes, it is bread we fight for, but we fight for roses too."

sandman@bucsb.bu.edu.UUCP (Sandman) (10/03/86)

In article <2750@cae780.UUCP> gordon@cae780.UUCP (Brian Gordon) writes:
>In article <730@ur-tut.UUCP> huds@ur-tut.UUCP (Andrew Hudson) writes:
>>A few years ago when my sister got married she decided neither to take
>>her spouse's last name nor keep her own but to hyphenate the two.
>>	[...]
>>keep the lineage alive!  So now she goes by Hudson-Hankins.
>
>That always struck me a short-sighted.  My spouse and I could have become
>Troublefield-Gordons, then the children from the families could marry to
>form Troublefield-Gordon-Hudson-Hankins.  In the meantime, the offspring of
>the Barton-Smiths and Kelsey_Gonzales (former co-workers) could have married,
>and eventually, the
>Troublefield-Gordon-Hudson-Hankins-Kelsey-Gonzales-Barton-Smith family's
>children could look forward to seeing THEIR grandchildren's names ...
>
>If you aren't both comfortable with one of the existing names, pick a new
>one, don't combine the existing ones.

The Filipinos (at least my family) has been following a pretty simple
tradition.  The wife keeps her own maiden name and passes it down to
her children.  So my mumsy is formally: Maria Loreto Cabangnon Galang.
When my sister marries Mr. Kennedy (Boston joke :-) she will become
simply Mrs. Gigi Galang Kennedy.  I kinda like it.  After all, the
purpose isn't to keep the entire family tree.  Isn't it supposed to
simply keep some individuality from your spouse and his/her family?
           _
Puertorricano (Puerto Rican) friends do the same thing only in reverse
the order.  My roommate's name on the books is Mr. James-Bernat but
he's referred to as Mr. James (his father's name).  They probably stole
the idea from us :-)

			-- Dominick M. Cabangnon Galang

--
	      {========================================}
              +					       +

figmo@lll-crg.ARpA (Lynn Gold) (10/06/86)

In article <2750@cae780.UUCP> gordon@cae780.UUCP (Brian Gordon) writes:
>In article <730@ur-tut.UUCP> huds@ur-tut.UUCP (Andrew Hudson) writes:
>>A few years ago when my sister got married she decided neither to take
>>her spouse's last name nor keep her own but to hyphenate the two.
>>	[...]
>>keep the lineage alive!  So now she goes by Hudson-Hankins.
>>We kid her about being a Hudhank, or a Hudkin, or a Hankson but you
>
>That always struck me a short-sighted.  My spouse and I could have become
>Troublefield-Gordons, then the children from the families could marry to
>form Troublefield-Gordon-Hudson-Hankins.  In the meantime, the offspring of
>the Barton-Smiths and Kelsey_Gonzales (former co-workers) could have married,
>and eventually, the
>Troublefield-Gordon-Hudson-Hankins-Kelsey-Gonzales-Barton-Smith family's
>children could look forward to seeing THEIR grandchildren's names ...
>
>If you aren't both comfortable with one of the existing names, pick a new
>one, don't combine the existing ones.

Sometimes the children of such marriages will take matters into their
own hands.  Let's face it, Troublefield-Gordon-Hudson-Hankins-Kelsey-
Gonzales-Barton-Smith doesn't fit onto an SAT form. :-)

I had a friend in college who had a long, nasty, multi-hyphenated
name; what she wound up doing was eventually dropping everything from
the first hyphen on.

--Lynn
--
UUCP: ...lll-crg!figmo
ARPA: Lynn%PANDA@SUMEX-AIM

* Any resemblance between my postings and any person, living or dead, *
* is purely coincidental.  Besides, I'm only a guest user here...     *

andrews@ubc-cs.UUCP (10/08/86)

In article <2750@cae780.UUCP> gordon@cae780.UUCP (Brian Gordon) writes:
>... the
>Troublefield-Gordon-Hudson-Hankins-Kelsey-Gonzales-Barton-Smith family's
>children could look forward to seeing THEIR grandchildren's names ...

      There's been a bit more discussion on this, so I
thought I'd reiterate my favourite solution for the
new.netters (I believe this came out of discussions with
Jym "Peace-symbol" Dyer).

Ms. Troublefield-Gordon \__ Ms. Troublefield-Hankin \
Mr. Hudson-Hankin       /   (their daughter)         \__ M*. Troublefield-Smith
                                                     /   (their offspring)
Ms. Kelsey-Gonzales     \__ Mr. Kelsey-Smith        /
Mr. Barton-Smith        /   (their son)

      ... that is, the first part of your name is the first
part of your mother's name, and the second part is the
second part of your father's. Extrapolate this through a
few generations and you'll see that the second part works
like a patrilineal name, passed down through all-male
lines, the same way as our standard last name works.  The
first part works in exactly the same way for all-female
lines, thus working like a matrilineal name.

      So, if this had been done since the adoption of last
names, everyone would have in their names a record of the
names of their father, father's father, etc., and mother,
mother's mother, etc., back into the deeps of time.

      You can pretend that this really happened by tracing
your roots back to find out the earliest name you can find
in your matrilineal line, and then changing your name to
<that>-<your current last name>.  For example, my mother's
mother's mother's mother's last name was Nelson, so I've
been thinking about changing my last name to Nelson-Andrews.

      One alternative is that when you get married, you
both change your names to the names your children will
have.  E.g. when Ms. T-G and Mr. H-H above get married,
they change their names to Ms. and Mr. T-H.

--Jamie.
...!ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision!ubc-cs!andrews
"The candy-coloured clown they call the sandman"