[soc.women] Reverse sexism is OK!

rb@cci632.UUCP (Rex Ballard) (10/09/86)

In article <611@zeus.UUCP> rob@dadla.tek.com (Rob Vetter) writes:
>In article <153@druxo.UUCP> nap@druxo.UUCP (ParsonsNA) writes:
>>The "crimes" of the fathers gave all males an advantage (in terms of
>>cultural expectation, encouragement, control of power, education, etc).
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ -> pressure!

>>Yes, the mothers paid a price.  The children benefit only on the basis of
>>their sex--i.e., males benefit, females don't.

Devil's advocate :-).  Women recieved indirect benifit in that they were
not obligated to support themselves, their husbands, and their children.
While a women had the OPTION of working, men had the OBLIGATION to work.
(like housework isn't working?!?!;-).

>>You have agreed that there is a problem (i.e., you agreed that my point is
>>valid).  Why ask how *I* would solve it?  Why don't *you* suggest some
>>solutions?

I'll take this as an open invitation.

The current society, reflected in media, schools, and social interaction,
does not provide enough pressure for women to prepare for complete self-
sufficiency, and places too much pressure on men to be not only self-
sufficient, but able to support a number of dependents as well.  Some
"family oriented" churches even pressure men to support excessively large
families, and their parents to when they retire.

It is possible, and even common in some circles, for a woman never to
have to be self-sufficient.  There is even a gaping hole in the english
language between virgin daughter, wife, and widow.  King James english
calls a non-virgin unmarried woman a harlot!  "Woman" would be a more
apropriate word, just plain woman.  "Working girl", "working woman",
"career woman", and similar names are often associated with prostitution.

On the flip side, a man who is dependent on a woman is a "giggalo",
a "hustler", or a "free-loader".

Today, women are allowed, even encouraged, to become doctors, lawyers,
engineers, sales professionals, and even enterpeneurs.  How often are
men encouraged to become nurses, secretaries, or maids?

Right now, men MUST make more than women to support the obligatory
wife and 1.8 kids.  Even the single mother who supports 1.8 kids doesn't
need as much.  She's feeding 2.8, and he's feeding 3.8.

Men and women should both be raised with the expectation that they may
be the ones to provide primary support for themselves and their families.
In other words, they should both be playing with trucks, construction
toys, puzzles, and books.  They should both be looking at careers that
provide the income required for a primary provider.

At the same time, they should be prepared for the option of being the
secondary provider, or the dependant.  This may include taking care
of children, sewing, cooking, cleaning, and shopping for groceries and
clothes.  In other words, boys, as well as girls, should be encouraged
to play with dolls, toy kitchens, toy sewing machines, and handicrafts.

The primary provider should be the one to initiate relationships with
a secondary.  They should also be able to show there abilities to provide
by paying the expenses of the relationship, with the occaisional "dutch"
date.  The secondary might be able to contribute, but should not be
expected to do so all the time.  That means the graces of such things
as tipping, ordering, making reservations, planning, and various other
responsibilities should be learned by both sexes.

The secondary should have the skills to attract a primary's interest
and approach.  Skills such as make-up, fashion, color coordination,
and other "defect hiding" techniques should be taught to both sexes.
This means boys and girls should be encouraged to play with "Barbie"
and "Ken" dolls.

Both sexes should have appropriate skills in self defense, technology,
and "street survival" techniques.  The secondaries to defend themselves
against undesired primaries, the primaries to defend themselves against
rival primaries, and to prove their superiority to other primaries
(forget that last one, it's "macho" b***sh**).  So both boys and
girls should be encouraged to play with guns, swords, and similar
"war toys", right?

Now, to overcome the reverse discrimination of the past X centuries,
we have to find ways of overcoming parents natural tendency to
raise boys as primaries, and girls as secondaries.

Television has been a very effective tool for changing the general
attitudes toward racism, poverty, anti-semitism, ethnic persecution,
and even female supressive sexism.  Some parents are even raising their
their girls to be primaries.  But that is only half the battle.

Encourage Mattel to include boys in it's "Barbie" commercials.
If Joe Namath can wear panty-hose, certainly Ricky Shroeder could
play with barbie dolls.  He did play "jacks" when he was younger.

Show women showing men a "good time", and men attracting them on the
physical level AS WELL AS the emotional level.  She can pick him up in
her business suit, and he'll show up at the door in skin-tight spandex
pants, satin shirt, ruffle tie, and velour jacket.  Have Prince's
costume designer do the outfit.  Prince, by the way, is an excellent
step in the right direction.

She can tell him about the hard day at work, and he can tell her
the latest neighborhood gossip (men gossip more than women, but
it's "shop talk" instead of "girl talk").  Imagine the "honeymooners"
or "I love lucy" with full role reversal (which was closer to real life
in Lucy).  Ricky: "Lucy, Please take me to the club, I haven't been
out of the house all week".  It might be a good idea to make both
Ricky and Lucy very glamorous.  Who's the Boss, Bosom Buddies,
and similar ilk, made men doing "non macho" things look like something
one should not imitate, hence doing "macho" things was better.

Show men and boys in "pretty" clothing.  Men's and Boy's wear usually
comes in black, brown, blue, and almost pure hues of red, green, or
yellow.  Boy's wear often has pictures of some aggressive character
doing something agressive on the front).  Try and find boy's wear with
flowers, pastel colors, or even intricate patterns on it.

How about if some cosmetics firm came out with a makeup line modeled
by the men of Chippendales!  Does someone really think all men have
no zits and perfect skin color?

And why should women worry about "panty lines" when men wear undershorts
that you can outline blindfolded?  More importantly, why shouldn't men
be aware of products that can give them firm, tight tushes?  Waist cinchers
are even advertised in magazines, why not on television?  You can spend
$25 to order one from a magazine using a male model, or $15 at Fredricks
of Hollywood.  They're great under a vest.  They make you stop slouching.

All of the above suggestions are examples of reverse sexism in a
positive form.  Men who, for whatever reasons, realize they have
the ability to enter a relationship with a woman who is a superior
provider should be encouraged to do so.

The alternative would be highly skilled couples with no children,
and poorly equipped couples with children they cannot support
emotionally, or financially.  This would truly be the crime
of the fathers, and the greatest crime in history.

If all men were equal, economically, politically, and influencially,
and there were no "rank", all women could be equal to all men.  Since
some men are superior, women who settle for being equal to the lowest
common denominator are selling themselves short if they are in fact
superior in terms of skills, experience, intellect, and ability.

Women have come a long way toward equality, but to make it, men have to
see that it is acceptable for them to give superior women superiority.
Without "men's lib", it is economically, politically, and socially
impossible for superior women to achieve superiority.

Yes, my son likes his barbie coloring book, and yes I played with dolls.
I also cook, sew, knit, crochet, and take care of the kids when my
wife is at work.

Rex B.