[soc.women] public restrooms - women's smaller than men's?

bandy@lll-crg.ARpA (Andrew Scott Beals) (10/01/86)

>It might also be the solution to one of the pettier forms of sex
>discrimination -- the imbalance between the public restrooms provided
>for men (nearly always adequate) and those provided for women (very
>often inadequate -- hence the lineups for women's rooms at theatres,
>concert halls, stadiums and so on).

Gee, I thought that it was because women always seem to go to the
wc in groups...   Silly me!
--
Andrew Scott Beals	(member of HASA - A and S divisions)
bandy@lll-crg.arpa	{ihnp4,seismo,ll-xn,ptsfa,pyramid}!lll-crg!bandy

Question Authority - Think For Yourself.

credmond@watmath.UUCP (10/01/86)

In article <6541@lll-crg.ARpA> bandy@lll-crg.ARpA (Andrew Scott Beals) writes:
>>It might also be the solution to one of the pettier forms of sex
>>discrimination -- the imbalance between the public restrooms provided
>>for men (nearly always adequate) and those provided for women (very
>>often inadequate -- hence the lineups for women's rooms at theatres,
>>concert halls, stadiums and so on).
>
>Gee, I thought that it was because women always seem to go to the
>wc in groups...   Silly me!

At intermission at a concert or between innings at a ball game
this is hardly the problem.  The difference arises not because women's
restrooms are smaller, but because the two are built about the same
size, but women (for obvious reasons and some cultural ones) take
longer in the bathroom.

Some years ago there was a tiny golden-fleece-style controversy
(can't remember whether it was in the US or here in Canada) over a
government study of how long it took people to urinate!  Nobody, as
I recall, pointed out that such information might be useful in setting
building standards.

tron@fluke.UUCP (10/06/86)

Bandy says;
>>>... the imbalance between the public restrooms provided
>>>for men (nearly always adequate) and those provided for women (very
>>>often inadequate -- hence the lineups for women's rooms at theatres,
>>>concert halls, stadiums and so on).

I like the fact that Bandy doesn't say how many restrooms or whatever there
are, just that there aren't enough for women.  As a semi-interesting sidelight
to this; the Kingdome in Seattle is your typical multi-use public stadium.
I'm sure more men go there than women and yet there are *more* women's
restrooms than men's.  Still not enough but at least they thought of it.

Peter B

ugeileen@sunybcs.UUCP (Eileen McGowan) (10/07/86)

In article <6541@lll-crg.ARpA> bandy@lll-crg.ARpA (Andrew Scott Beals) writes:
>>..........-- the imbalance between the public restrooms provided
>>for men (nearly always adequate) and those provided for women (very
>>often inadequate -- hence the lineups for women's rooms at theatres,
>>concert halls, stadiums and so on).
>
>Gee, I thought that it was because women always seem to go to the
>wc in groups...   Silly me!

	A good number of women go into the women's room to fix their
   hair and makeup, and spend lots of time doing it......"hence the
   lineups"

   (one great mystery of the world solved...on to the next...)

Muffy@arisia.berkeley.edu (Muffy Barkocy) (10/09/86)

In article <1098@sunybcs.UUCP> ugeileen@gort.UUCP (Eileen McGowan) writes:
>In article <6541@lll-crg.ARpA> bandy@lll-crg.ARpA (Andrew Scott Beals) writes:
>>>..........-- the imbalance between the public restrooms provided
>>>for men (nearly always adequate) and those provided for women (very
>>>often inadequate -- hence the lineups for women's rooms at theatres,
>>>concert halls, stadiums and so on).
>>
>>Gee, I thought that it was because women always seem to go to the
>>wc in groups...   Silly me!
>
>	A good number of women go into the women's room to fix their
>   hair and makeup, and spend lots of time doing it......"hence the
>   lineups"

I don't "go in groups," but I usually take a book along.  You see, there's
this long line in the bathroom, and I get really bored with just standing
there, so I like to have something to do.  I suspect that this is the
motivation behind "going in groups"...at least then you have someone to
talk to while you wait in those long lines.  Which are of course made
longer by the group you just came in with.  I don't think that fixing
hair and makeup (what's that?) has any effect on the lines for the stalls.

                       Muffy

Muffy@SCRC-STONY-BROOK.ARPA (really CERRIDWYN.SSF.SYMBOLICS.COM, but
                             this doesn't work right (yet? ever?))
muffy@arisia.berkeley.edu, muffy%arisia@Berkeley.EDU,
muffy%arisia@ucbjade.BITNET
{ihnp4,decvax,decwrl,sun,etc}!ucbvax!arisia!muffy