[soc.women] Treat 'em like dirt boys...you do an' you'l be singin soprano!

dnelson@joevax.UUCP (Dorothy Nelson) (10/08/86)

> O.k. I've had just about enough of this bulls**t, I wish some
> WOMEN (not men) would explain to me why they must be treated
> like dirt for them to like you back?  Yes it does sound stupid
No, it isn't *that* stupid.  *This* is stupid:  "I-hit-my-head-on-the-
tay-bull!!!!!"  "Ooowhhh, shut up!"  "There's a piece of brain lodged
in the cupboard!!"  "Soorrree..."
*Ahem*  Sorry.  I really am taking you seriously.

> but unfortunately no matter where I travel that is all I find.
> No it is not just me, anybody I know that has a girlfriend doesn't
> treat them like they deserve and yet they still stay with him.
> Perplexing eh ?
Here's the phenomenon as I see it.  There's a very healthy reaction
humans have called, "Picking partners who feel good about themselves."
But society, which sears the lil field mice and voles and spiders with
asphalt in the making of I-98, has bent this perfectly nice reaction.
Feeling good about yourself has classicly been interpreted as not giving
a shit for anyone else.  (NOTE to would-be flamers... I don't like this
attitude).

The indifferent male has always been presented as a romantic figure whereas
the male who cares is a foot licking woos who has dinner at Mama's on
Fridays.  Similarly, the "hard to get" female is the most luscious, whereas
the female who is nice is portrayed as a clinging vine.  Binary modes, pure
and simple.  Some of this is hard-wired already in our brains-- and it's
difficult to extract it.

This attitude is abetted with respect to the male because it's more hip
for man to not show his feelings, or care.

The real facts are(I think):
There are some nice guys who fit the stereotype, and others who
feel good about themselves, and all sorts of in-betweens.  There will be
women who judge by stereotypes, and this is the kind of woman
you were bitching about.  You don't even *want* to get involved with this
kind of person unless you wanna be a "TV shrink" (like me) and rewire her
hardware.  'Course, there *are* women who do try to look at the whole
picture... and they *may* find the man less attractive if he thinks
he's the lowest thing since... since... since Liberace.

Conversely, there are assholes who *do* feel good about
themselves, and others who are just letting out the shit they feel inside.

The vice versa with respect to gender happens, too.

> I guess this is where the saying "Nice guys finish last." came
> from.
Oh, now, now.  You want a nice bedtime story?  Here's a goodie... I saw
two assholes (male and female) duking it out in a 10 month relationship
(still going strong).  They live together for about two weeks, Person A
throws crockery at Person B, they break up(claiming that it's over
for good this time, of course).  After 3 days they get back
together.  Two weeks go by, Person B humiliates Person A in public by
throwing a cold beer in the face and storming out.  They break up (claiming
that it's over for good this time, of course).  They sense NOTHING CYCLICAL
about this.  That's the best definition of hell I can come up with.

On the flip side, I'm involved with a guy who is nice as all git-out, who
loves life and a good laugh.  We have fun.  Don't despair.  Many women
are not assholes.  Go out there, talk to them, and see what *they* think.
I'm curious, if you've traveled extensively, why you *haven't* gotten an
opinion from a woman about this.  Very strange.

THE KEY QUESTION HERE IS NOT:  What's happening to these awful women that they
like to be abused?
THE KEY QUESTION HERE *IS*:    What's happening to *all* of us?

> Dazed Confused, etc...
> Sean@ritcv
>
> (You can't live with them and you can't live without them.)
Men.  Can't live with them, can't shoot them in the back of the neck and
have a talented taxidermist stuff the pe... wait a minnit... I *can* do
that, can't I?  (*MOO* *HA* *HA*)

Scuse me.  I'm off to buy me a Luger. ;-)

		--cosmique muffin (dorothy)

SWTelevision Shrink, seeks Patient with neurosis... prefer nymphomania and/or
an aero-wombat fetish

thain@magic.UUCP (10/10/86)

In article <305@joevax.UUCP>, dnelson@joevax.UUCP (Dorothy Nelson) writes:

> THE KEY QUESTION HERE *IS*:    What's happening to *all* of us?

     Retrograde evolution my dear, retrograde evolution. ;-)

     This is an interesting question. I'll take a moment to get serious and
open the discussion.

     I'd like to think that there are three key elements which need to be
understood before we can come to grips with Dorothy's question. The first
is the environmental conditions in which we live, the second is the educational
experiences we receive, the third is the media propaganda to which we are
exposed. All three help influence and shape the world we live in, they reflect
in our manner of speech, our clothing, our personalities. Ultimately they set
the patterns by which we live, how we react, how we interact. They are the
tripod on which we build castles of stone or air.

     The first, the environment, is not only the physical environment outside
our eyes but also the emotional environment we live in. Supportive emotional
environments like hazard free physical environments enrich and help stimulate
individuals by promoting growth and expansion. Likewise, hazard filled
environments teach us to be wary, trust nothing, look out for yourself.
Hopefully these are intermixed, the result is a reasonably well adjusted person
able to deal with the trials and tribulations of the world. There are however
times when these become unbalanced, such as divorce, loss of a parent through
death, extreme hardships such as unemployment, drug addiction, etc. Then the
environment will change and not always for the better. As pressure to maintain
a stable environment increases, it changes the individuals outlook on certain
issues and changes they're reactions in a like manner.

     The second is education, which is also variable due to many factors. This
too includes education in a formal sense, a racial sense, and an intuitave
sense. Education is perhaps the single most important because education allows
us to synthesize information about our environment and the media influence.
It is important to be as well educated as one possibly can. When an issue is
presented in which we know very little, education is necessary to alievate any
negative connotations. Education is also necessary so rational decisions can be
made about issues which effect us and the environment. Ignorance in enough
quanity breeds suspicion, false information, biased opinions. Ignorance reduces
a person's perception and ability to deal with the unknown and unexpected.

     The third is media propaganda. This includes peer pressure, television,
upbringing at home, conditioning at school, etc. Each of us gets a healthy/
unhealthy dose of the above in our daily life. Media propaganda gives us the
values and lifestyles of others around us, gives us oral and visual stimulation
to match the educational/environmental inputs of other people against our own.
Media also influences lifestyles and trends by portraying behaviors and
attitudes which startle and confuse. It offers many illusions about how life
really is.

     It becomes necessary to reconize that people do what they have to do
to survive. Survival is open ended in it's interpertation. But if you threaten
someone with what they believe to be essential to they're survival they will
perform drastic measures to insure that it is protected.

     Given that these factors are the represenative qualities which shape a
person and his opinions, we can now take a look at the social dynamics of the
world today and the driving forces which are present.

     We live in a complex technological world which has placed increasing
demands on us. Not only are we expected to cope with the everchanging physical
environment in which we live, we are also expected to cope with the ever-
changing emotional one. Many of the values we were taught as children are
being challenged, many of the social myths have been shattered, open to new
questions and interpertations. We are striving to regain the balance of what we
were taught as children without compromising ourselves into corners which would
be difficult for us to resolve.

     To answer your question Dorothy, what is happening to us, we must also
ask the question, what has happened to us? We have become adults and the
naivety of youth has been stripped away in our excitment and anticipation of
becoming adults. Most of our superstitions have been replaced by cold logic,
the values we grew up with are fading away, being replaced by our children's,
and our children's childrens values. Our parents professed not to understand
our generation's values, likewise we are mistyfied by our children's values.
No doubt out chlidren will be confused by their children.

     Why? Because the envrionmental/educational/media propaganda differs
between generations. We would be neglecting our educational duties to
ourselves if we didn't observe this. Like our parents, we're trying to live
in three different worlds, theirs, ours, and our childrens.

     Because certain values within our environment have changed and the media
is conflicted about whether these changes are healthy or not, our educational
experiences become open to further inward questions. No longer are we
complacently accepting things as they come, but striving to resolve the
internal conflicts between the three factors. Many times we find them at odds
because our educational experiences conflict against the media propoganda,
the environment, or both, which changes our perception of the world at large.

     What is happening to us? In a sense, the flip answer I offered has the
haunting ring of truth. We are in the midst of a severe social revolution, one
which is causing us to analyze ourselves in relationship to those around us. We
are desperately trying to maintain our identies and individuality in a world
which demands conformority and an acceptence of the status quo. We are
attempting to understand our children in light of what we were taught, finding
in them the same rebellious streak which we defied our parents with, hang on to
our cultural idenity, and continue to rebel against our parents. We are
running into a New World, in some ways hauntingly familiar to the one we knew,
yet frightingly different from the one of our youth.  We are changing in ways
only the advancement of age and collective wisdom can bring about.

We are doing what we have to do to survive.

                              Happy Trails to you all,

                                       Glenn

thain@src.dec.com