[soc.women] materialistic little yuppies, aren't we?

rcj@burl.ATT.COM (Curtis Jackson) (10/12/86)

In article <455@cci632.UUCP> rb@ccird1.UUCP (Rex Ballard) writes:
>In article <1150@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU> garry%cadif-oak@cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu writes:
>>In a recent article rb@ccird1.UUCP (Rex Ballard) wrote:
>>>The partner with the greater education, training, experience, and success
>>>has a right to expect the partner with less to make sacrifices...
>>So: them that has, gets more. That's a cruel way to think about a partnership!
>>garry wiegand   (garry%cadif-oak@cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu)
>Cruel?  Perhaps, but also realistic.  A promotion worth 10% to a partner
>making $40,000 might cost the other partner making $10,000, 10%.  Net gain
>for the parnership, $3,000.
.
.
.

>One of the best investments anyone can make is in the education of
>a highly motivated person who has not yet reached their potential.
>The education of a talented spouse almost guarentees a safe maximum
>return on the investment.

[Note:  the following is not a personal attack; it is meant to be an
 eye-opener.  I don't even know Garry!]

The way you write reminds me of the asshole professor in Rodney
Dangerfield's movie "Back to School" -- he was such a prick he couldn't
even ask a woman to marry him; he instead talked of "merger" and
"consolidation".  "safe maximum return on investment"?  Come on!

Has everyone lost sight of life/job satisfaction as an issue?  Do *you*
want to live with someone who spends 40+ hours a week doing something
they hate because you make more money than they do and therefore the
career/location/job decisions always go your way?  Do you think they're
going to be very much fun to be around?  Would you be?

I know money is important; after all, you spend 2/3 of your waking
hours away from work (unless you're like me lately  ;-) and money helps
you to enjoy that.  But let's also face the fact that you spend 1/3 of
your waking hours at work so you'd damned well better be doing something
you enjoy.  Is money more important than job satisfaction?  Not to me,
and not to anyone I have any real respect for, either.

Last night I was having a discussion with a couple of friends; she's a
schoolteacher fed up with her job (and for good reason, I might add).
She knows that she can *easily* get a good job teaching elsewhere
within easy driving distance of her current home.  She bitched for
well over an hour about the conditions she was working under at her
current job.  I finally asked her, "Why don't you quit?"; to which she
replied, "But in a year I'll be tenured!"

Not me, bud!
--

The MAD Programmer -- 919-228-3313 (Cornet 291)
alias: Curtis Jackson	...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd allegra ]!burl!rcj