[soc.women] Mark Ethan Smith: For real?

dlm@cuuxb.ATT.COM (Dennis L. Mumaugh) (10/07/87)

This whole argument is getting a bit amusing. (Just  a  bit,  not
much).  People  are talking about libel and slander and law suits
and ....

Please remember one major thing.  Libel and slander MUST  involve
damage to one's reputation and must be monetary in nature.

Law cases have  shown  that  a  "libel"  isn't  such  if  NO  ONE
seriously  would  believe  that  the  statement  is  to  be taken
seriously.  Not that the  court  will  accept  the  "I  was  only
joking"  defense  very often but I seriously doubt that screaming
"!!!!!!" during a shouting match would get too much attention.

Also even if it is taken seriously, damage must  be  shown.  Pain
and  suffering,  loss  of  business, damage to one's professional
reputation (to the degree it affects employability), etc  and  so
forth.   To   some   degree  this  must  include  the  degree  of
publication and the nature of readers.

AFTER you explain to the judge and jury about  the  esoterics  of
computer  bulletin  boards, mailing lists and stuff, then explain
what a flaming match is.  After explaining  some  of  the  USENET
classics  which  did  cause  damage (were there any?) explain why
this particular situation is worthy of the court's attention.

Also, which court?  By law the suit can be brought in the  courts
of  either  the  plaintiff's or defendant's legal residence or in
ANY  place  the  libel  appeared   (Australia,   Europe,   Canada
perhaps?).  By  the  way don't forget to have the full legal name
and address of all participants.

By now you should have had second thoughts about the whole thing.

MORAL: don't accuse some one of libel or slander unless something
more important than your ego is hurt.  Don't talk about any flame
on USENET as libel unless you are  serious.  Otherwise  it  is  a
waste of our time, communications bandwidth and money.
--
=Dennis L. Mumaugh
 Lisle, IL       ...!{ihnp4,cbosgd,lll-crg}!cuuxb!dlm

vnend@engr.uky.edu (D. V. W. James) (10/11/87)

In article <1342@cuuxb.ATT.COM> dlm@cuuxb.UUCP (Dennis L. Mumaugh) writes:

>Please remember one major thing.  Libel and slander MUST  involve
>damage to one's reputation and must be monetary in nature.
>
>=Dennis L. Mumaugh

     For a libel to occur,  at least four,  and  sometimes five,  conditions
must  be fulfilled. These are:

     1) the statement must be defamatory.   That  is,  it must tend to
        hurt someone's reputation;
     2) it must identify its intended victim;
     3) it must be  communicated,   that is,  it must  be broadcast in
        such  a way  that at  least one  other person  other than  the
        victom or perpetrator hears or sees it;
     4) in cases  involving the  mass media there  is also  required a
        proof of  fault.   That means a  the publisher must  have been
        either  guilty of  actual  malice or  have  been negligent  in
        publishing it;
     5) in  cases where  actual  malice cannot  be  proven,  the  U.S.
        Supreme Court has said that the  victom of the libel must also
        prove damages. (Overbeck and Pullen, 1985)

     Overbeck, Wayne and Pullen, Rick D. (1985).   Major Principles of
        Media Law (Second Edition) New York,  NY:  Holt,  Rinehart and
        Winston

Copyright (c) 1987 by David W. James

	The above is from a paper I wrote this summer on the subject of
Libel and USENET.  Note that damages need not be proven in all cases.

--
Later y'all,             Vnend            Ignorance is the Mother of Adventure.
cbosgd!ukma!ukecc!vnend;  vnend@engr.uky.edu;  vnend%ukecc.uucp@ukma.BITNET