[soc.women] Unusual characteristics of Humans

g-rh@cca.CCA.COM (Richard Harter) (01/21/88)

Note:  I changed the title from the reproductive advantages of
rape to one suiting the contents of this article. My apologies
for violating net usage.  I also removed soc.men and soc.women
from the followup list.

In article <1413@sugar.UUCP> peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:

>There just aren't that many qualitative differences between humans and other
>species... most of the differences are in degree rather than kind.

This isn't true.  It is true that humans are mammals and retain many of the
body plan features of mammals.  However humans are quite unusual.  They have
unique characteristics and others that are very rare.  Many differences are
so marked that they constitute a difference of kind rather than merely
degree.  Here is a partial list.

(1)	Upright posture.  There are, and have been many bipeds.  However
all other bipeds keep the spine at right angles to the body and balance
the body over the legs.  Humans rotate the spine so that it is vertical
over the legs.  Some animals can assume the upright posture for limited
periods of time, but none are built for it.  There are a remarkable
number of adjustments that have to be made in the skeleton to do this.
Upright posture seems to be the key evolutionary innovation in the
hominid line.

(2)	Lack of estrus.  In almost all animals the females have an
estrus cycle, i.e. they only copulate at certain specific times.
[In some species the estral cycle is weak, but this is rare.]
Human sexual behaviour has many unusual features.

(3)	Long life.  Interestingly enough, almost all mammals have
the same lifespan -- if you count lifespan in heartbeats.  Humans
are the notable exception; they live four times longer than they ought
to, if they fit the general pattern.

(4)	Big brains.  Humans have much bigger brains (particularly
cerebral cortex) for their body weight than any other animal.  The
difference is so marked as to be a difference in kind rather than one
in quantity.

(5)	Complex non-instinctual social behaviour.   Again the difference
is so large as to be a difference in kind rather one of quantity.

(6)	A true opposable thumb.   I think that this is unique to humans
among vertebrates.  The Panda does have an opposable "thumb" which is
actually an enlarged wrist bone.

(7)	An advanced tool user.  Other animals do use tools upon occasion.
However they lack the structural modifications needed for tool using.
Again, a difference in kind.

(8)	Cursorial hunter adaptations.  Not unique, but rare.  Cursorial
hunters kill game by chasing it until it gives up.  Example -- a human
being (in good condition) can capture a horse by chasing it until it
collapses.  The horse can run faster, but the human has more endurance.
There are a host of modifications needed for this, effecient sweating is
an example.  Wolves are cursorial hunters.

(9)	Premature birth.  If humans followed the patterns of other
mammals human gestation would take about 18 months.  Human infants
are born semi-foetal.  Much of the development that is completed in
the womb in other placental mammals is completed after birth in humans.
In particular, brain growth is not completed until well after birth.
[This is necessary -- if the head finished development the foetus
couldn't get out through the birth canal.  As it is, it's a tight
squeeze; birth in humans is unusually traumatic.]

Are the graves of dreams allowed to die.
	Richard Harter, SMDS  Inc.