[net.sf-lovers] Group minds and LeGuin....

@RUTGERS.ARPA:nancy@MIT-HTVAX.ARPA (03/12/85)

From: nancy@MIT-HTVAX.ARPA

    From: jcr@Mitre-Bedford

    > From: nancy@MIT-HTVAX.ARPA
    >
    > Ursula LeGuin wrote a short story about a group mind called "Vaster
    > than Empires and More Slow".

         As I recall, LeGuin wrote another story called "Nine Lives" that
    also explored the group mind concept to some degree. In this one, a
    group of nine human clone-siblings (all cloned from the same parent)
    are sent to work with a planetary exploration team made up of
    basically normal humans. The story depicts the relationship(s)
    between the clones as well as how the humans react to them. The group
    mind aspects of the story are not dealt with very explicitly, but the
    normal folks can't help noticing how connected and in tune the clones
    seem to be with each other. Some of them speculate as to whether the
    clones represent a true group mind; this possibility is brought to
    the fore by the reactions of the clones when some of their group (the
    clones) are killed.

         I recommend the story, but I don't know where it can be found
    today; I know only that it originally appeared in "Playboy."

This is in the same collection as the other story... "The Winds 12
Quarters".

        -Nancy