[soc.women] Stereotyping an entire State in one 30sec commerical

erict@flatline.UUCP (eric townsend) (01/18/88)

[This is cross-posted to alt.flame and soc.women because I think both
 groups care about this sort of thing.]

Goodwrench commercial:

Stock footage of alligators            Louisiana, state of swamps and
running around in swamps, egrets       alligators.  It's places like
taking flight from trees in swamp,     these that make you glad you
long bridge going thru bayous and      took your car to Goodwrench.
swamps.

This is depressing.  The state of Louisiana is *not* (contrary to
popular belief) one huge swamp; no more than Texas and California are
big deserts and New York City is a big place full of drugs and hookers.
In the eight years I lived there, I met many people who had just moved
to the state.  Before moving, friends of theirs had expressed concerns
such as "Isn't Louisiana just a big swamp with a bridge through it?"
This is the same sort of problem that the women's movement is having,
that minority groups are having, that anyone who isn't white, middle-class,
and living in a nice suburb and driving a BMW have:

  The forcing of stereotyped role-models onto a huge cross-section of the
  american public, affecting not only non-members of the groups, but members
  of the group, propogandizing both into believing the 'myth' pushed by
  the ad.
--
J. Eric Townsend ->uunet!nuchat!flatline!erict smail:511Parker#2,Hstn,Tx,77007
Just another journalist with too much computing power.| 'Hey, watch me ollie

ugfailau@sunybcs.uucp (Fai Lau) (01/19/88)

In article <299@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (eric townsend) writes:

>This is depressing.  The state of Louisiana is *not* (contrary to
>popular belief) one huge swamp; no more than Texas and California are
>big deserts and New York City is a big place full of drugs and hookers.
>In the eight years I lived there, I met many people who had just moved
>to the state.  Before moving, friends of theirs had expressed concerns
>such as "Isn't Louisiana just a big swamp with a bridge through it?"
>This is the same sort of problem that the women's movement is having,
>that minority groups are having, that anyone who isn't white, middle-class,
>and living in a nice suburb and driving a BMW have:

	HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! No offend but do you know what the name
Louisiana reminds me of? Remeber Live And Let Die? Remember that
big Louisiana highway patrol sheriff? He's such a fu*king funny
guy, man. And why do you think they chose Louisiana to shoot
the speed boat chasing scene? Because they're saying Louisiana
IS a big swamp! A wedding can be held where there is water
within 100ft on four sides! I still remember that big sheriff
goes "my brother got the fastest boat in all Louisiana!"
Man, does it really mean in Louisiana a fast boat is more
valuable and practical that a Porsche?
	No offends, ya know, just joking. Can't help it!
I don't even think Venus is a swamp. Ya know?8-)

Fai  Lau
SUNY at Buffalo (The Arctic Wonderland)
UU: ..{rutgers,ames}!sunybcs!ugfailau
BI: ugfailau@sunybcs INT: ugfailau@joey.cs.buffalo.EDU

rlw@philabs.Philips.Com (Richard Wexelblat) (01/19/88)

In article <299@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (eric townsend) writes:
>This is depressing.  The state of Louisiana is *not* (contrary to
>popular belief) one huge swamp; no more than Texas and California are
>big deserts and New York City is a big place full of drugs and hookers.

NYC?
Is so!

--

--Dick Wexelblat  {uunet|ihnp4|decvax}!philabs!rlw
		  rlw@philabs.philips.com

erict@flatline.UUCP (eric townsend) (02/02/88)

In article <7910@sunybcs.UUCP>, ugfailau@sunybcs.uucp (Fai Lau) writes:
| 	HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! No offend but do you know what the name
| Louisiana reminds me of? Remeber Live And Let Die? Remember that

  Yes I do, I like that movie.  It gives a pretty decent representation
  of New Orleans in the early 70s, but that's about it.

| big Louisiana highway patrol sheriff? He's such a fu*king funny

  Yeah..  He lived near me, I think.

| guy, man. And why do you think they chose Louisiana to shoot
| the speed boat chasing scene? Because they're saying Louisiana
| IS a big swamp! A wedding can be held where there is water
| within 100ft on four sides! I still remember that big sheriff
| goes "my brother got the fastest boat in all Louisiana!"
| Man, does it really mean in Louisiana a fast boat is more
| valuable and practical that a Porsche?

Not really.  There's not too many places *in* Louisiana where a fast
boat would be any good.  Off the coast, maybe... Or in the middle
of the Red or Mississippi Rivers.  The best boat (my opinion)
would be a big pontoon boat, or a swamp-skimmer. (Flat-boat with
a big fan on the back.)

| 	No offends, ya know, just joking. Can't help it!
| I don't even think Venus is a swamp. Ya know?8-)
|
| Fai  Lau
| SUNY at Buffalo (The Arctic Wonderland)
| UU: ..{rutgers,ames}!sunybcs!ugfailau
| BI: ugfailau@sunybcs INT: ugfailau@joey.cs.buffalo.EDU

No offense taken, but that's where most people are wrong.  Only the
southern 1/4 or so of La. has anything approaching swampland.
Lousiana is shaped like a boot, and only the 'sole' and 'toe' of the boot
have swampland.  I lived in wonderous Leesville, and the only thing we had
that approached a swamp were some wide, slow moving creeks.