[soc.women] Arguing for good bad times

dianeh@gryphon.COM (Diane Holt) (01/19/90)

In the referenced article bschwart@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Trashy) writes:
I wrote:
>]And aren't you having a grand old time doing that?
>
>It is hard to say.  In the long run, yes, [...]

Ta-da and ipso facto.

A tip o' the hat to you, Mr. Schwartz, for being able, even though it
was "hard to say", to say just that.

>[...] but surely I don't enjoy it while it is happening.

Not in the same way you'd enjoy a Robin Williams concert, no, of course
not.  But, the more you understand the process, the more you can, in
fact, come to know that you're wallowing and appreciate that and not
feel like you're being overwhelmed by the emotionalism, not think of it
as some "entity", outside yourself, but know it as coming from you
because it's what you need -- what you _feel_like_ -- doing (i.e., it's
what will [and is] making you "happy" at that point in time, because it's
what you need to do, and [as Tom Chapin will readily remind you] having
your need(s) met makes you happy).

*That's* "sophisticated understanding."

>It is kind of like getting dental work done.

Not the best analogy, since it implies something be done _to_ you,
external to you, like the way people talk about "anxiety attacks"
or "feeling" guilty, but, okay, as a starting point to understanding,
sure.

Diane Holt
(dianeh@binky.UUCP)

"A watermelon will not ripen in your armpit."
                             --Unique Egyptian Proverb