[soc.women] Women Composers the digital variety

gtaylor@vme.heurikon.com (Gregory Taylor) (03/21/91)

Here we are in comp.music, and not a peep about women who use computers
to make music. How about Maria ** [Teresa?] des Oyens, Kaaija Saariaho
[just did a 2 hour show of her for womyn's history month on my radio
show, only to have a couple of womyn call me to tell me that this was
not "womyn's music!"], and Frances White [who I believe bagged the big
one at Bourges this year for her "Still Life with Piano."] There's also
Mara Helmuth at Columbia....

Of course, here I am stuck out in dairyland unable to do much other than
guess at the rest. Can the left/rightcoasters aid us in this task so
that the list does not consist solely of dead, white northern European
womyn?

--
I am so lonely for the twentieth century,/for the deeply felt, obscene
graffiti/of armed men and the beautiful bridges/that make them so small and

roger@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Roger Lustig) (03/22/91)

In article <213@heurikon.heurikon.com> gtaylor@vme.heurikon.com (Gregory Taylor) writes:
>Here we are in comp.music, and not a peep about women who use computers
>to make music. How about Maria ** [Teresa?] des Oyens, Kaaija Saariaho
>[just did a 2 hour show of her for womyn's history month on my radio
>show, only to have a couple of womyn call me to tell me that this was
>not "womyn's music!"], and Frances White [who I believe bagged the big
>one at Bourges this year for her "Still Life with Piano."] There's also
>Mara Helmuth at Columbia....

>Of course, here I am stuck out in dairyland unable to do much other than
>guess at the rest. Can the left/rightcoasters aid us in this task so
>that the list does not consist solely of dead, white northern European
>womyn?

Frances is not dead; I'm pretty sure of that--unless it was her double
walking by with a coffee yesterday.  Around here, living women doing
computer-music include the Net's own Linda Seltzer, Katherine Norman,
Alicyn Warren (an AMS 50 prizewinner), and others.  Down at UVA you can
study with Prof. Judith Shatin (also an occasional netter).

I haven't seen Shulamit Ran on the composer list.  One could also add
Dika Newlin and hundreds of others.

For conductors, add Antonia Brico and Margaret Hillis.  Barbara Schubert
conducts the U of Chi orchestra.

Roger