[soc.women] Women Composers

adn@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Andrew Nimmo) (03/18/91)

[I'm posting this on behalf of a friend with no net access]

I'm looking for any information, references, publishers, etc.,. with
regard to Women Composers, past and present.  This can also include
info on Women who have indirectly contributed to music composition.

Any help you can give is appreciated.

Andrew D.Nimmo

wikla@cs.Helsinki.FI (Arto Wikla) (03/20/91)

In <7204@ecs.soton.ac.uk> adn@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Andrew Nimmo) writes:

>[I'm posting this on behalf of a friend with no net access]

>I'm looking for any information, references, publishers, etc.,. with
>regard to Women Composers, past and present.

In 17th centyry in Italy there were at least two famous women composers:
Francesca Caccini was a daughter of famous Giulio Caccini. Francesca
composed for ex. some early operas in the beginning of the century.

Barbara Strozzi was a step-daughter of one of the Strozzis. She was
very competent cantata-composer around mid century. Even 70 years
later one English composer, Pepush, writes in the preface of his
collection something like (I only memorize now): "... We must give
value of inventing this our new cantata style, to the more beatuful
sex. About 70 years ago there lived in Italy certain Barbara Strozzi..."

If somebody needs more information, for ex. The Groves dictionary of
music and musicians is quite good.
If somebody wants to know the exact information about Pepush's preface,
I may help.

Arto Wikla, Helsinki, Finland

strong@tc.fluke.COM (Norm Strong) (03/20/91)

In article <7204@ecs.soton.ac.uk> adn@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Andrew Nimmo) writes:
}
}[I'm posting this on behalf of a friend with no net access]
}
}I'm looking for any information, references, publishers, etc.,. with
}regard to Women Composers, past and present.  This can also include
}info on Women who have indirectly contributed to music composition.

Well, in this latter category we can mention Anna Bach.  She kept his 13
kids out of his hair so old J. S. could get some work done.  :-)

--

Norm Strong  (strong@tc.fluke.com)
2528 31st S.   Seattle WA 98144   USA

silber@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Ami A. Silberman) (03/21/91)

Off the top of my head -

Diamanda Galas - avante-garge stuff, usually lumped in with indie rock
Nadia Boulanger - conductor, composer, most famous as teacher (20th century)
Lily Boulanger - younger sister, composer, died young
Theo Musgrave - One of the best post-Britten British composers.  Has written a
number of operas, one, "Mary, Queen of Scotts" is recorded.  Also concertos etc.
Ruth Crawford Seeger - Pete Seeger's step-mum.  Graduated from Barnard.  Wrote
	mostly during the 20s-40s, then turned to collecting fold songs.
Several of the composers in the "Minnisota Composers Forum" are women (they put
out a record or two each year.)  I seem to remember the name Libby Ellis.
There is a Dutch composer, last name of Meelenk (or something like that).
If you have access to a music library with open stacks, you might try just browsing.
You could also get a copy of OPUS (the replacement for the classical Schwann
guide.) There is also a boxed set of women's classical music called something like
"Women's Work".  You might also try looking at CRS (Composer's recording series)
records, they present works by real living composers, some of whom are women.
There are a lot of women doing new age stuff, most of it as bad as that done by
most of the men.  Of all the ones I mentioned, I like Galas the best (most of
her recordings are available on "Stumm" records, I'm not sure who the US
distributer is.  She is French of Greek descent.)  Nadia Boulanger was probably
the most important, she taught almost everyone of any importance.  Theo
Musgrave is probably the closest we will come in the forseeable future to a
"great" woman composer.  (That is a great composer who is also a woman.)
(IMHO one of the marks of a great composer is his/her impact on music, the
quality of the best of the works, the quality of the bulk of the works, and the
breadth of forms.  Since c. 1950, only Bernstein has managed to produce, and
have recorded, that breadth of work.  With the increasing academization of
music, it is unlikely that one will find a composer who can write, and have
recorded, a body of work similar to that of Stravinsky,	Shostokovich, or
Britten.  Well, one can hope...

ami silberman - janitor of lunacy

eijkhout@s41.csrd.uiuc.edu (Victor Eijkhout) (03/21/91)

strong@tc.fluke.COM (Norm Strong) writes:

>In article <7204@ecs.soton.ac.uk> adn@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Andrew Nimmo) writes:
>}
>}[I'm posting this on behalf of a friend with no net access]
>}
>}I'm looking for any information, references, publishers, etc.,. with
>}regard to Women Composers, past and present.  This can also include
>}info on Women who have indirectly contributed to music composition.

>Well, in this latter category we can mention Anna Bach.  She kept his 13
>kids out of his hair so old J. S. could get some work done.  :-)

A week ago I attended a recital by Judith Radell (Indiana University
of Pennsylvania it says in the announcement. I suppose that you
could write to her if you want info) who played works
by various women composers, most of whom I'd never heard of.
One contemporary of Mozart, the more talented sister of
Felix Mendelssohn, Cecile Chaminade (the only one I knew,
thus the only one I remember), and a few contemporary
composers. Most of it was pretty nice. If anyone is
interested I can dig up the program.

Victor.

george@wind55.seri.gov (George Scott) (03/21/91)

eijkhout@s41.csrd.uiuc.edu (Victor Eijkhout) writes:

>A week ago I attended a recital by Judith Radell (Indiana University
>of Pennsylvania it says in the announcement. I suppose that you
>could write to her if you want info) who played works
>by various women composers, most of whom I'd never heard of.

There is a CD, with JoAnn Faletta conducting the Bay Area Women's Philharmonic
(or something like that), of music by women composers, most of whom I'd never
heard of. Some are baroque, I don't know if some are contemporary.
What I've heard (on the radio) sounds interesting. Anyone have more info?
George N. Scott                         EMAIL: george@wind55.seri.gov
Wind Research Branch.                   VOICE: 303-231-7667
Solar Energy Research Institute         1617 Cole Blvd., Golden, CO  80401-3393

cbullin@athena.mit.edu (Carrie L Bullington) (03/21/91)

In article <1991Mar20.185059.30271@m.cs.uiuc.edu> silber@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Ami A. Silberman) writes:
>Off the top of my head -

and mine:
	Clara Schumann
	Fanny Mendelssohn
	Alma Mahler

(add to Ami's list)

mvb@eagle.mit.edu (Mary V. Burke) (03/21/91)

A couple more from the Baroque period: Anna Bon and Elisabeth-Claude
Jacquet de la Guerre.   Probably listed in Baker's Bio.

MVB
"A woman came up to me and said, 'I'd like to poison your mind/With wrong
ideas that appeal to you, though I am not unkind.' "--TMBG
Disclaimer:  Homey don't play dat.

cb@tamarack12.timbuk (Chris Brewster) (03/21/91)

Here are some other obvious names:

    Hildegard of Bingen, a true Renaissance man except that she was a woman and
    about 400 years before the Renaissance.

    Fanny Mendelssohn

    Elisabeth Schumann

    Alma Mahler

    Germaine Tailleferre (one of the French "Six")

    Ellen Taffe Zwilich, Pulitzer winner, and very solid IMO

Also, a very good composer of rags was ___ Aufderheide, forgot her first name.
Virginia Eskin has recorded some of her work.

I think people interested in women composers should be careful to avoid the
"affirmative action" aspect of it (and the resultant overrating that can occur).
Considering these composers without any reference to gender, I would still take
an interest in Bingen, Seeger, Zwillich, and Musgrave.  I agree with the

Christopher Brewster

allyn@milton.u.washington.edu (Allyn Weaks) (03/21/91)

adn@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Andrew Nimmo) asks:
>I'm looking for any information, references, publishers, etc.,. with
>regard to Women Composers, past and present.  This can also include
>info on Women who have indirectly contributed to music composition.

Hildegard von Bingen - medieval Abbess who wrote lots of nice stuff

Germaine Tailleferre (1891-1983), one of Les Six.

Claude Arrieu (1903-?).  At least one wind quintet.

Lina Mathon Blanchet, a Haitian pianist and composer.  Once upon a time, at
least, there was a recording of a wind quintet version of her _Haitian Folk
Tale_ (originally for piano) played by Soni Ventorum.

Sofia Gubaidulina.  Russian.  I've heard brief excerpts of some of her work -
just enough to be interested.  I wasn't able to go to the concert of her music
given in early March, but I heard that it was excellent.

Janice Giteck.  French. I heard her _Leningrad Spring_ for flute, piano and
percussion last night.  I think I'd like it if I could hear it again a few
times.  It's rather busy to take in all at once though.

Elena Firsova.  Russian.  I heard her _Two Inventions_ for solo flute last
night, and mostly liked it.

Ursula Mamlok.  I've heard a couple of pieces, one I liked, one I hated...

Thea Musgrave - I like Chamber Concerto #2, where Rollo keeps butting in

Susan Botti
Anna Rubin
Ruth Crawford Seeger
Joyce Mekeel
Susan Blaustein

And three from Seattle:

Diane Thome  - has some recordings, but I've never heard anything.
Karen Thomas - some choral songs from Lewis Caroll; Father William
               and Jabberwocky among others.
Carol Sams   - mostly songs and small operas, I think.

And as a side question:  Are there any women conductors?  Particularly
instrumental/orchestral conductors?  The few I know of conduct local small
choruses...

Allyn Weaks
allyn@milton.u.washington.edu

cbullin@athena.mit.edu (Carrie L Bullington) (03/21/91)

In article <18791@milton.u.washington.edu> allyn@milton.u.washington.edu (Allyn Weaks) writes:

[about women composers, then asks]

>And as a side question:  Are there any women conductors?  Particularly
>instrumental/orchestral conductors?  The few I know of conduct local small
>choruses...

	Sarah Caldwell - Director/Conductor of Opera Company of Boston
	Margaret Hillis - Chicago & once conductor of San Francisco
			  Symphony Chorus
	Kathryn Cathcart - Has conducted regional groups in San
			  Francisco Bay Area, and the San Francisco Opera

An aside: Ann Ewers is now general director of Utah Opera (I think
she used to be assistant or associate director of Boston Lyric Opera).

ccs009@deneb (Michael J Johnson Jr) (03/22/91)

In article <18791@milton.u.washington.edu> allyn@milton.u.washington.edu (Allyn Weaks) writes:
>And as a side question:  Are there any women conductors?  Particularly
>instrumental/orchestral conductors?  The few I know of conduct local small
>choruses...
>
>Allyn Weaks
>allyn@milton.u.washington.edu

Nan Washburn is the new music director of the Camelia Symphony here
in Sacramento. I believe she is a former conductor of the Bay Area
Women's Philharmonic. Each of our first two concerts featured works
by modern day women composers (Libby Larson, Lilia (?) Vasquez).

Michael J Johnson, Jr   Bass Trombone
mjjohnson@ucdavis.edu

hsu@sp24.csrd.uiuc.edu (William Tsun-Yuk Hsu) (03/22/91)

allyn@milton.u.washington.edu (Allyn Weaks) writes:

>Janice Giteck.  French. I heard her _Leningrad Spring_ for flute, piano and
>percussion last night.  I think I'd like it if I could hear it again a few
>times.  It's rather busy to take in all at once though.

Are you sure she's French? She has an interesting tape on Mode, with
a piece based on the Native American coyote legends.

Mode has a series of recordings of contemporary women composers and
performers. The Bernadette Speach CD in the same series has a wonderful
jazz-influenced suite with lyrics by Thulani Davis.

Bill

pmy@vivaldi.acc.virginia.edu (Pete Yadlowsky) (03/22/91)

Judith Shatin (formerly Shatin-Allen)
Associate Professor of Music, UVa
President, American Women Composers, Inc.

'J' writes wonderfully difficult acoustic, electro-acoustic and
computer/electronic stuff.

--
Peter M. Yadlowsky		| "You know - when I talk to people, I try to
Academic Computing Center	|  look more intelligent than I actually am.

silber@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Ami A. Silberman) (03/22/91)

allyn@milton.u.washington.edu (Allyn Weaks) writes:

>And as a side question:  Are there any women conductors?  Particularly
>instrumental/orchestral conductors?  The few I know of conduct local small
>choruses...
Judith Somogi, primarily opera.  I don't think that she was all that good
when I played under her at a music Institute, but she may have gotten better.
Ornette Coleman also wrote a few classical pieces.

ami silberman - janitor of lunacy

rchrd@well.sf.ca.us (Richard Friedman) (03/22/91)

adn@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Andrew Nimmo) writes:

>I'm looking for any information, references, publishers, etc.,. with
>regard to Women Composers, past and present.  This can also include
>info on Women who have indirectly contributed to music composition.

Contact the National Women Composers Resource Center,
which is an activity of the Women's Philharmonic,
330 Townsend St., Suite 218, San Francisco 94107
--
/\=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=/\
\/Richard Friedman (415)540-5216  |     rchrd@well.sf.ca.us  \/

allyn@milton.u.washington.edu (Allyn Weaks) (03/22/91)

hsu@sp24.csrd.uiuc.edu (William Tsun-Yuk Hsu) writes:
>allyn@milton.u.washington.edu (Allyn Weaks) writes:

>>Janice Giteck.  French. I heard her _Leningrad Spring_ for flute, piano and
>>percussion last night.  I think I'd like it if I could hear it again a few
>>times.  It's rather busy to take in all at once though.

>Are you sure she's French? She has an interesting tape on Mode, with
>a piece based on the Native American coyote legends.

Mea culpa - I only briefly read the program notes, and 'On a French government
grant' got mentally translated into 'French'.  The notes don't say where she
was born, but most of her schooling and teaching seems to be in the US.

Allyn Weaks
allyn@milton.u.washington.edu

fredg@marob.uucp (Fred Goldrich) (03/22/91)

In article <18791@milton.u.washington.edu> allyn@milton.u.washington.edu (Allyn Weaks) writes:

>And as a side question:  Are there any women conductors?  Particularly
>instrumental/orchestral conductors?  The few I know of conduct local small
>choruses...
>
>Allyn Weaks
>allyn@milton.u.washington.edu

	There are quite a few women conductors, and the number is increasing
rapidly.  Among the best known these days are probably Catherine Comet, Marin
Alsop, and JoAnn Falletta.  There has also been a well-known woman conducting
teacher, Elizabeth A.H. Green of the Univ. of Michigan, who has written a
number of conducting textbooks, as well as a monograph on orchestral string
technique.

	I can think of the names of several less well known women conductors;
perhaps someone out there can think of more prominent names that I've omitted.
Oh -- Eve Queler should also be mentioned.
--
	Fred Goldrich
	{att,philabs,rutgers,cmcl2}!phri!marob!maestro!fred

hsu@sp64.csrd.uiuc.edu (William Tsun-Yuk Hsu) (03/23/91)

silber@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Ami A. Silberman) writes:

>Ornette Coleman also wrote a few classical pieces.

Ornette Coleman is a man.

Bill

rchrd@well.sf.ca.us (Richard Friedman) (03/23/91)

allyn@milton.u.washington.edu (Allyn Weaks) writes:

>Janice Giteck.  French. I heard her _Leningrad Spring_ for flute, piano and
>percussion last night.  I think I'd like it if I could hear it again a few
>times.  It's rather busy to take in all at once though.

Janice is American, (from New York I believe), lived for many years
here in Berkeley, and is now living in Seattle.  Did the program guide
for the concert you attended actually say she was French?  That would be
interesting to consider.
--
/\=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=/\

silber@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Ami A. Silberman) (03/23/91)

hsu@sp64.csrd.uiuc.edu (William Tsun-Yuk Hsu) writes:

>silber@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Ami A. Silberman) writes:

>>Ornette Coleman also wrote a few classical pieces.

>Ornette Coleman is a man.

Quite correct.  I'm not sure what I was thinking of...

mea culpa...
ami silberman

gds@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Greg Skinner) (03/24/91)

Stephanie Henry is the conductor of the UCLA university chorus, which
is the largest choral group at UCLA.  She is also the conductor of the
UCLA campus choir.  She has been really good at getting a good sound
out of both groups.

--gregbo

ethan@edda.css.gov (Ethan Brown) (03/26/91)

Thea Musgrave is a well known composer of Opera.

--
--Ethan Brown
--Science Applications International Corp.

lseltzer@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Linda Ann Seltzer) (03/30/91)

>In article <18791@milton.u.washington.edu> allyn@milton.u.washington.edu (Allyn Weaks) writes:
>
>>And as a side question:  Are there any women conductors?  Particularly
>>instrumental/orchestral conductors?  The few I know of conduct local small
>>choruses...

Joann Faletta frequently conducts the Bay Area Women's Philharmonic.