[soc.roots] Genealogy Software Wanted

steve@utcsri.UUCP (Steven M. Armstrong) (03/06/87)

I posted the following message to soc.roots about a month ago and have
received exactly zero replies.  Thus, I'll make one more attempt.
I'm also cross-posting to comp.sources.wanted and comp.sys.ibm.pc in an
attempt to reach a wider audience.

Hi,
	A friend of mine is interested in a good genealogy program for
a Zenith Z-158 PC (IBM clone) running MS-DOS.  A public domain program
would be nice, but he's willing to pay a reasonable price for top-quality
software.  I'm sure this has been covered a million times before
(like the topic of what C compiler to buy in comp.sys.ibm.pc), but my friend
and I would really like to here some recommendations.  A short description of
features and an address and/or phone number for ordering the product would
be great.  You can either post to the net (if you've got a lead on a fantastic
new product) or mail to me directly if you think that's better.  If there's
interest, I'd be more than willing to summarize the recommendations I
receive and post the results.

					Thanks a bunch,
					   Steve

			Steve Armstrong
			University of Toronto

			Usenet:	{utzoo,allegra,cornell,decvax,
				 ihnp4,uw-beaver}!utcsri!steve
			CSNET:	steve@Toronto
			ARPA:	steve%Toronto@CSNet-Relay

tomp@hercules.TEK.COM (Tom Pereira) (03/09/87)

In article <4318@utcsri.UUCP> steve@utcsri.UUCP (Steven M. Armstrong) writes:
>	A friend of mine is interested in a good genealogy program for
>a Zenith Z-158 PC (IBM clone) running MS-DOS.  A public domain program
>would be nice, but he's willing to pay a reasonable price for top-quality
>software.
As my 17 year old son is researching his genealogy, I also would be interested
in what might be available.

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

Tom

--
* I know that you believe you understand *
* what you think I said, but I am not    *

brian@asci.UUCP (brian) (03/10/87)

Expires:

In article <4318@utcsri.UUCP> steve@utcsri.UUCP (Steven M. Armstrong) writes:

> A friend of mine is interested in a good genealogy program for
>a Zenith Z-158 PC (IBM clone) running MS-DOS.  A public domain program
>would be nice, but he's willing to pay a reasonable price for top-quality
>software.

A coworker of mine was involved in developing such a program that is now
available.
It was developed by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day
Saints, (Mormons) who happen to be one of the foremost authorities on
Genealogy.  I believe they have the largest genealogical archives
in the world, however, you currently cannot dial in for info, but should be
able to sometime in the future.  Instead, you must travel to Salt Lake City
for detailed research.  The program they offer is called Personal Ancestral
File and is available for $35 for IBM-PC's and Apples.

--Note-- This is second hand info of at least a year old and I apoligize for
errors and would appreciate any corrections.

For more information, contact:

Lance Jacob
Genealogy Dept -- 2WW
50 East N. Temple
Salt Lake City, UT  84150

--
Brian Douglass
Applied Systems Consultants, Inc. (ASCI)

jordan@cod.UUCP (Martin C. Jordan) (03/18/87)

        There are at least two decent genealogy programs in the public
domain for the PC. One, FT-ETC by Pinecone Software (methinks) has
caught my eye.  I haven't had much of a chance to try it out, but it
seems much more sophisticated than another set of BASIC programs named
GENEALOGY.  Any vendor of public domain software can supply you with
the disks.  If you need more info, drop me a line at jordan@cod.nosc.mil.

                                        Have a nice day!

                                                MarLIBOilrnt s