[soc.roots] genealogy program - wanted

wales@ucla-cs.UUCP (09/13/87)

In article <113@aardvark.UUCP> steve@aardvark.UUCP () writes:

>I am aware of a "data base" program written specifically for storage of
>genealogical info.  It's called the Personal Ancestral File, or some-
>thing like that.  I personally haven't used it, but I've talked to
>people who say it's reasonably good and not too expensive.  You can get
>it from [the LDS (Mormon) Church; address deleted here].

>These guys have (I think) one of the largest genealogical archives in
>the world, so I guess they might know what they're doing.  (You might
>also be able to draw on their records to help you with your research...
>It seems to me that someone was talking of the program having the abil-
>ity to tap into those records via a modem...)

I have been using PAF for several months now, and I find it a very good
program.  It has some features which will be useful only to Mormons sub-
mitting their genealogical information to the Church, but these features
can simply be ignored by non-Mormon users.

(I'm a Mormon, by the way, for what it may matter in this discussion.)

Unfortunately, neither PAF nor any other publicly available software
provides modem access to the LDS Church's genealogical archives.  You
may be able to examine some of the LDS material by contacting church
officials in your area to see whether there is a "branch genealogical
library" nearby.  (Branch libraries vary widely in the amount of mater-
ial they carry.)  Best of all, of course, would be to visit the main
genealogical library in Salt Lake City.  The LDS libraries are open to
anyone, whether LDS or not.

Look in the white pages under "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day
Saints".  If there is no specific listing for a genealogical library,
anyone at any of the other listings should be able to help you.

Although we Mormons are (of course) well known for our enthusiasm in
sharing our religion with others, I doubt you will find yourself unduly
harassed in this regard if you indicate that your interest is specific-
ally with genealogy.  As I said, the LDS genealogical libraries are open
to all interested people, regardless of religion, and I understand that
both the main library in Salt Lake and the branch library here in Los
Angeles are heavily utilized by non-Mormons.

-- Rich Wales // UCLA Computer Science Department // +1 213-825-5683
	3531 Boelter Hall // Los Angeles, California 90024-1596 // USA
	wales@CS.UCLA.EDU   ...!(ucbvax,rutgers)!ucla-cs!wales
"Sir, there is a multilegged creature crawling on your shoulder."