[soc.roots] LDS

rickc@pogo.TEK.COM (Rick Clements) (09/21/87)

In article <8126@shemp.UCLA.EDU> wales@CS.UCLA.EDU (Rich Wales) writes:
>Although we Mormons are (of course) well known for our enthusiasm in
>sharing our religion with others, I doubt you will find yourself unduly
>harassed in this regard if you indicate that your interest is specific-
>ally with genealogy.  As I said, the LDS genealogical libraries are open
>to all interested people, regardless of religion, and I understand that
>both the main library in Salt Lake and the branch library here in Los
>Angeles are heavily utilized by non-Mormons.

I have used branch library.  It is a useful and friendly places to work.

The branch libraries have micro fiche indexes to the materal in Salt Lake
City.  Micro film of the sources can be rented from the main library.  (It
costs money to ship them.)  I also requested cencus information.  You can
also request hard copy.  I was told it would take a four to six weeks.  It
was over six months.  They are working on clearing up the back log.

The people there were helpful when I had questions.  They are interested in
genealogy and willing to give you ideas when you get stuck.  No one "harassed"
(Rich's term) me at all.