[net.sf-lovers] Mrs. Coverlet and the kids

@RUTGERS.ARPA:jo@SCRC-STONY-BROOK.ARPA (03/12/85)

From: Jonathan Ostrowsky <jo@SCRC-STONY-BROOK.ARPA>

From #93:

   >> Can anyone identify the titles or author of a series of children's
   >> books about three siblings, two male and one female, of whom the
   >> older boy is named Malcolm, and the younger, Theodore, is known as
   >> "The Toad".  The kids have a dowager mentor, Mrs.
   >> Dextrose-Chesapeake,

  > The book with the mail-order voodoo kit is _Mrs._Coverlet's_Magicians_
  > (I have no idea who the author was).  I loved it, about 20 years
  > ago, but never found the earlier book (the one about the cat).

	    -Neil Faiman

I also had the pleasure of reading one of the Mrs. Coverlet books in the
early 60s, "While Mrs. Coverlet Was Away."  As I recall, the jovial
housekeeper (for such was Mrs. C's role; I forget what happened to the
kids' parents) had to go off somewhere for the summer.  Another older
woman was supposed to stay with the kids, but somehow they managed to
spend the entire summer alone.  Toad and his sister (whose name escapes
me) had a generally great time, but Malcolm (he of the "complicated
conscience") spent a large portion of the book brooding about the
implications of this youthful anarchy.

I can't remember the author's name, but it's nice to know that the book
I read was part of a series.  This was very good stuff.

alle@ihuxb.UUCP (Allen England) (03/13/85)

>    >> Can anyone identify the titles or author of a series of children's
>    >> books about three siblings, two male and one female, of whom the
>    >> older boy is named Malcolm, and the younger, Theodore, is known as
>    >> "The Toad".  The kids have a dowager mentor, Mrs.
>    >> Dextrose-Chesapeake,
>
> The book with the mail-order voodoo kit is _Mrs._Coverlet's_Magicians_
>
> I also had the pleasure of reading one of the Mrs. Coverlet books in the
> early 60s, "While Mrs. Coverlet Was Away."
> I can't remember the author's name, but it's nice to know that the book
> I read was part of a series.  This was very good stuff.

I read really liked this series also.  The author's name is Mary Nash.

Marguerite (*not* Allen)
...!ihnp4!iwpbd!maggie2