[soc.motss] sexual orientation/identity & nature/genetics/etc

keith@telesoft.UUCP (Keith Shillington @prodigal) (09/18/86)

<eat me, you low down line eater you....>

In <989@druhi.UUCP> Karen M. writes:
> Questions like "Why hasn't homosexuality bred itself out of the human
> race by now?" bother me.

Good.  I say that there is a great deal masked behind such a
question.  THAT bothers me.  I wouldn't mind a question like: "Being
as we have now proven beyond a doubt that homosexuality is a genetic
trait, why hasn't it been selected out?  What is the nature of this
trait that causes its persistence?"  To me, this is a somewhat more
scientific investigative question, given some condition, why does this
condition prevail.  (Calm down folks, I know that the original premise
is steer manure....)

> Has anyone considered that it is not necessary for 100% of humans to
> breed?  That it is adequate for the mechanisms of sexual orientation
> and identity to "only be 90% effective" for the human race to survive?

Gads!  Given the population situation it's a durned good thing that
humans are slowing down in breeding.  I had this flash the other day
of what the world would look like at "stability".  Imagine for a
moment, that the population stops growing, and we do whatever it takes
to manage this garden we are living in..... (sigh, it is possible, and
I get stuck in the notion of 'probable'....)

90%!  Given the historical nature of families to be in the 3-7
children domain, maybe only 50% of the population should be breeding!

> Personally, I would like to believe that Nature prefers a little
> "random variation" in her universe.  :-)

You damn her with faint praise.  Just think how boring life would be if
snowflakes were all the same.  Nature is about infinite variety to an
extent not comprehensible by a mere human mind.

"... and me with a brain the size of a planet ..." Marvin
--
Keith Allan Shillington   telesoft!keith@UCSD.ARPA      619/457-2700x388.ATT
			  {ucbvax!sdcsvax,celerity,bang}!telesoft!keith.UUCP