[soc.motss] Gay Style

ped@mtuxo.UUCP (p.davidson) (09/18/86)

	Whenever I have read the personal ads in the gay
papers, everyone seems to want someone into movies, theater
and diners. Don't any gays beside myself like, hunting, fishing
camping, motorcross racing, the woods and hiking.

wray@uiucuxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU (09/18/86)

Well, I like concerts, good food, hiking in the woods, etc, and I know a few
others who do. If you are in an area where there are a wide variety of
gay organizations, you can probably find some like minded people if you find
the right group.  If not, maybe you need to place an ad yourself.  Good luck.

root@ozdaltx.UUCP (root) (09/19/86)

In article <1987@mtuxo.UUCP>, ped@mtuxo.UUCP (p.davidson) writes:

> 	Whenever I have read the personal ads in the gay
> papers, everyone seems to want someone into movies, theater
> and diners. Don't any gays beside myself like, hunting, fishing
> camping, motorcross racing, the woods and hiking.

You've noticed that too! Hummmm. There are times I really think
that if a prospective 'trick' didn't have an alligator tatooed on
his chest or a horse stamped on his ass, most would loose interest
instantly. Give me 501s any ole day. ;-).

I'll admit it's fun to get "pissy" every now and then, but
personally, it's not me. I DO enjoy dinners out, although I CAN
cook better than most resturants, and an occasional symphony,
(Beethovan and Wagner send me into orgasmic estisicy). BUT,
having grown up in West Texas, (ever heard of Pecos?) I could
ride a horse before I could walk and still enjoy that, hiking and
camping. (Not the kind done in the middle of Cedar Springs Rd.)
I have this strange quirk about hunting though, and generally
prefer to do mine with a camera. My experience
in fishing is limited to trout fishing in New Mexico and
drowning worms at the pier in Corpus Christi. I _have_ always
wanted to try salmond fishing in Washington. We have a local
group here called 'Outdoor Dallas' that promotes just those sort
of activities. I could send you more info if you'd like to get
one started in your area.

But, really, it's just as much fun to get a group of people together
and take off somewhere for a weekend in the woods. Finding the
people can be a chore; some folks idea of 'roughing it' is no
outlet for their blow dryer or missing an episode of DALLAS.
Good luck....

Scotty
...ihnp4!killer!ozdaltx!root

"Oh, my friend, it's not what they take away from you that counts-
 It's what you do with what you have left." - Hubert Humphrey

davet@oakhill.UUCP (Dave Trissel) (09/19/86)

In article <1987@mtuxo.UUCP> version B 2.10.3 4.3bsd-beta 6/6/85; site oakhill.UUCP oakhill!im4u!ut-sally!seismo!columbia!caip!clyde!cbatt!ihnp4!houxm!mtuxo!ped ped@mtuxo.UUCP (p.davidson) writes:

>	Whenever I have read the personal ads in the gay
>papers, everyone seems to want someone into movies, theater
>and diners. Don't any gays beside myself like, hunting, fishing
>camping, motorcross racing, the woods and hiking.

Of course! There are outdoors clubs all over the country for people
specifically interested in such things and more are popping up all the time.
A really great alternative to the bar scene. And even if a group is not in the
immediate vacinity the closest one probably has events near your home some
time or other.

As a public service here is the latest list for such groups as known by IGLOO
(International Gay and Lesbian Outdoor Organizations) for the U.S. and
Canada in zip code order. Addresses belonging to residences have been left out
but send me mail and I'll supply any particular one. (Isn't it sad I have to
do this?) The address for IGLOO itself changes from club to club each year but
for now is:

	IGLOO Representative
	Out & Out Club, Inc.
	P.O. Box 331, Station F
	Toronto, Ontario
	Canada M4Y 2L7

*The individual club list follows*

Chiltern Mountain Club
P.O. Box 407
Boston, MA 02117

Outdoors Conn-ection
Bridgeport, CT 06610

Diff'rent Spokes
New York, NY 10019

Helen Wheels Cycle Club
New York, NY 10014

Hikin' Dykes
New York, NY 10024

Sundance Outdoor Adventure Society
P.O. Box 3971
New York, NY 10163

Hike & Bike Group
c/o Gay Professionals of Buffalo
P.O. Box 287, Station C
Buffalo, NY 14209

Rochester Outing Group
Rochester, NY 14607

GO! Philadelphia
P.O. Box 15784
Philadelphia, PA 19103

Outdoors Club of Pittsburgh
McKeesport, PA 15132

Adventuring, D. C.
P.O. Box 2584
Washington, DC 20013-2584

Washington Women Outdoors
P.O. Box 301
Garrett Park, MD 20896

Atlanta Venture Sports
P.O. Box 7718
Atlanta, GA 30309

Friends - Atlanta
P.O. Box 900246
Atlanta, GA 30329

Sunshine Athletic Association
P.O. Box 14481
Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33302

Houston Outdoors Group
Houston, TX 77098

Dallas Outdoors Group
P.O. Box 35474
Dallas, TX 75235

Adventuring Outdoors
P.O. Box 43918
Austin, TX 78745

Gay and Lesbian Outings
P.O. Box 14255
Chicago IL 60614

Minneapolis GAMMA
P.O. Box 9536
Minneapolis, MN 55440

Different Spokes
Minneapolis, MN 55404

Milwaukee GAMMA
P.O. Box 1900
Milwaukee, WI 53201

Gay Coalition of Des Moines
Des Moines, IA 50317

The Group
P.O. Box 9733
Denver, CO 80209

Desert Adventures
P.O. Box 2008
Phoenix, AZ 85001

Great Outdoors - Tucson
P.O. Box 42740
Tucson, AZ 85733

Great Outdoors - San Diego
P.O. Box 82106
San Diego, CA 92138

SAGA Ski Club
P.O. Box 3203
San Diego, CA 92103

Great Outdoors - Inland Empire
1550 North Arrowhead
San Bernadino, CA 92405

Great Outdoors - Orange County/Long Beach
2619 East Palmyra Street
Orange, CA 92669

Amazon Spokes
P.O. Box 633
Temple City, CA 91780

Arriba Ski Club
Woodland Hills, CA 91364

Great Outdoors - Los Angeles
P.O. Box 93247
Los Angeles, CA 90093-9998

SAGA Ski Club
P.O. Box 27193
Los Angeles, CA 90027

Great Outdoors - Pomona/San Gabrial Valley
P.O. Box 2934
Pomona, CA 91769

Spokesmen
P.O. Box 29651
Las Angeles, CA 90029

Great Outdoors - Santa Cruz
711 Sumner Street
Santa Cruz, CA 95062

Gay & Lesbian Sierrans
San Francisco, CA 94117

Different Spokes
P.O. Box 14711
San Francisco, CA 94114

Great Outdoors - San Francisco
P.O. Box 4814
San Francisco, CA 94101

Women on Wheels
San Francisco, CA 94118

River City Cyclists
Sacramento, CA 95824

Gay Hiking Group
P.O. Box 4991
Portland, OR 97208

Outdoor Adventure Club
801 East Harrison Street, Ste 105
Seattle, WA 98102

Take-A-Hike
P.O. Box 2259
Vancouver, B.C.
Canada V6B 3W2

Spokes
P.O. Box 2259
Vancouver, B.C.
Canada V6B 3W2

Gay Outdoors Group
c/o Gays for Equality
Box 27, UMSU
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Canada R3T 2N2

Amazon Canoe Co.
P.O. Box 71
Little Current, Ontario
Canada P0P 1H0

Out & Out Club
P.O. Box 331, Station F
Toronto, Ontario
Canada M4Y 2L7

*That's All Folks*

stoner@noao.UUCP (Jeff Stoner) (09/19/86)

In article <1987@mtuxo.UUCP> ped@mtuxo.UUCP (p.davidson) writes:

>	Whenever I have read the personal ads in the gay
>papers, everyone seems to want someone into movies, theater
>and diners. Don't any gays beside myself like, hunting, fishing
>camping, motorcross racing, the woods and hiking.

Hunting, no; fishing, yawn; camping, YEAH!; motorcross, no; the woods, YEAH!;
hiking, OF COURSE! Movies, sometimes; theater, not too often; dinners, sure
(if it's your credit card, not mine).   ;-)

Actually, I am amazed at the number of gay men and women taking to the
outdoors. Being a member of the Tucson Great Outdoors (one of eleven or so
such chapters in AZ and CA), I am really enjoying seeing gay people out
enjoying things such as the San Diego chapter's whale watch cruise, or
just simple day hikes of a few miles roundtrip in the local area (I also
find it stimulating dragging my lover, Gary, out into the great outdoors.
The effort I expend... *sigh*   :-o  )

-----------and now, for something completely different, sort of-------------
In recent times there was a thread of conversation along the lines of "what
is gay culture?". Well, any poor antropologist trying to use the Advocate's
(or any major city's gay newspaper's) personals would probably be led to
believe the 'average' gay male is summarized as follows:

--------------------------------------
SUBJECT: Gayess maless dynastii          (English usage flames -->/dev/null)
					 (heck, ALL flames ------>/dev/null)

PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION: About 30, blond, blue eyes, good physique (maintained
	by 'workouts' at a local gym or YMCA).

EMOTIONAL STATUS: Highly emotional and expresses emotions well. Often
	emotionalizing all over the place, much to the chagrin of the
	general "straight" population. Example: loudly decrying Joan
	Collin's dress in a photo on the cover of the Enquirer as
	being "just the <wrong> thing for the b**ch to wear to a party!"

INTERESTS/HOBBIES: Foremost, the physique and sexual attributes of other
	similar males (shown in the oft-used phrase in a personal of "...seeks
	same..."). In addition, prime-time dramas such as Dynasty and/or
	Dallas taken precedence over nearly everything else. Also, the rite of
	'Sunday brunch' includes conversation about the current status of
	Broadway theater (even if said brunch is occurring in Sioux Falls,
	South Dakota), the latest movies just appearing, and how good or
	bad the food is at the 'charming little place that just opened'.

DISLIKES: Sweat(*), any minor physical discomfort(*), drugs, smoking, "fats",
	"fems" and married men. However, the smoking dislike is believed to
	be only an attitude due to the heavy blue clouds of cigarette smoke
	that plague the primary meeting centers of gayess maless, the "gay bar".

MISCELLANEOUS: Serious contributor to Salvation Army of clothing, due to
	fetish of desiring "always the latest fashion". A current side effect
	is the commonplace sight of a bum with 501's, a white tank top,
	white tennis shoes, and mirrored sun glasses (especially in San
	Francisco, the primary concentration of gayess maless).

	Is a near-lethal player of the card game "Trivial Pursuit", due to
	extensive internal database of random knowledge.

(*) -- Note that two somewhat despised subgroups of gayess maless dynastii,
	known as gayess maless outdoorsii and gayess maless dominii, find sweat
	and/or minor physical discomfort (such as hiking exhaustion, sports
	competition, major home rennovation--in addition to, or instead of,
	the sado-masochistic methods of sexual interaction) stimulating.
	Gayess maless dynastii apparently find these men undesirable, using
	such derogatory phrases as "Oh, ignore him, he's just trying
	to be butch". Our analysis indicates that these groups are so small
	as to be negligible to our survey.

END OF REPORT.
--------------------------------------
Obscure English word of the day: "bissextus: (bis-sex-tus) noun. February
	twenty-ninth; the extra day added to the Julian calendar every
	fourth year (except those evenly divisble by 400) to compensate
	for the approximately six hours a year by which the common year
	of 365 days falls short of the solar year.
--------------------------------------

	Jeff L. Stoner
	(...!noao!stoner)

	(also, CompuServe 71535,2043; The Source BDB 970)

	[Views expressed are not necessarily those of NOAO, AURA,
	 my terminal or the after-hours janitor at the 24-hour 7-11
	 at the corner of Warren and Speedway].

rjw@ptsfc.UUCP (Rod Williams) (09/19/86)

In article <1987@mtuxo.UUCP> ped@mtuxo.UUCP (p.davidson) writes:

>        ... Don't any gays beside myself like, hunting, fishing
>camping, motorcross racing, the woods and hiking.

 No...you're the only one.

--

 rod williams  |  pacific bell  |  san ramon  |  california
 {ihnp4,qantel,lll-crg,pyramid}!ptsfa!ptsfc!rjw