[soc.motss] Insect eradication

eric@batcomputer.UUCP (10/13/86)

In article <1436@burl.UUCP> geoff@burl.UUCP (geoff) writes:

>This is a good point, but there is one thing that bothers me about the whole
>idea of insect eradication.  Suppose we found the perfect insecticide which
>kills all of the insects in the area and is totally harmless to people.
>		geoff sherwood

I am not a biologist, but the idea of anything killing *all* of the insects
anywhere seems preposterous, given their excellent ability to adapt/evolve
to survive environmental changes.  Their short generations and relatively
simple systems mean that they can mutate and evolve quickly to adapt to
formerly toxic elements much faster than higher forms of life, especially
people.  If/when we wipe our selves out in a nuclear war, the cockroaches and
houseflies will have a grand time.

				++Eric