[soc.motss] For a good time, call ...

mgdlin@beryl.berkeley.edu (Gary D. Lindsay) (10/10/86)

I've been off the net for several weeks, since I turned in
my draft of my thesis and (groan) started working (temp -
groan, groaner, groaniest).

Anyway,  in checking up  on the net tonight, I found the bulletin
board net.singles.

My first  impression is that it would  be more accuracely styled
net.horny.straight.singles.  Has anyone  else read this bulletin
board?  Do you think this be written proof that WE are not totally
obsessed with S-E-X - just made out to  be in a selectively blind
public eye?

Gary

henry@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU (Henry Mensch) (10/13/86)

Hey!  Some of us have one helluva time in soc.singles!  'specially
when Mikki Barry talks about the big-n-stupid types (Mikki and I share
some tastes, I see ;->).  We have all seen these types before--these
are the guys who attach the velcro on their shoes to the lapels of
their flannel shirts (they obviously couldn't read the manual!)

8-)

Henry Mensch     |   XXXXXXXXX XXXXXX  | XXX/XXXXXXX XXXXXX
henry@athena.mit.edu          ..!mit-eddie!mit-athena!henry

david@gladys.UUCP (David Dalton) (10/13/86)

In article <1401@jade.BERKELEY.EDU>, mgdlin@beryl.berkeley.edu (Gary
D. Lindsay) writes:

> Do you think this be written proof that WE are
> not totally obsessed with S-E-X - just made out to be in a selectively
> blind public eye?

Herein lies one of the wondrous ironies of being gay. Those who are not
gay, looking in from the outside, are all too likely to see sexual
preference as our distinguishing characteristic. They are also highly
likely to see us as having exaggerated sexuality. Wrong. Very, very
wrong.

In the best of all possible worlds, perhaps sexual preference would be
our distinguishing characteristic. The world we live in, though, is
intolerant of diversity, nervous about sex, nervous about masculinity,
nervous that Billy or Judy might be different, and nervous that
certain minorities, if left unrepressed, might contaminate the majority
with their peculiar ways. All these nervousnesses are deeply rooted
in our institutions and have a truly frightening power to assert
themselves. They assert themselves in law. They assert themselves in
public policy -- who can live where and who can or cannot have a
certain job. They assert themselves when someone's mother cries nonstop
for two weeks because she got The News and when someone's father tells
someone not to come home again. They assert themselves when children
are teased, ostracized, or even beaten by their peers. They assert
themselves when gay people go through years, alone, of self-hatred,
self-doubt, and dread of a life that they fear lies ahead. These may
be extreme examples, but all of us have gone through this to some
degree.

This common cultural experience is more unifying than mere shared
sexual preference could ever be.

As I find my youth waning and my character, I hope, maturing, I find
that I have less and less appetite for confrontation -- though I am
resigned to it and would storm the Bastille if need be -- and I find
more and more satisfaction in opening up my life to straight friends
so that they can see, if they are curious, what life is like for us.
Most of them ARE curious, and it's surprising how quickly they seem
to start thinking of you not as a GAY friend -- but just as a friend,
because they realize that the differences are trivial. Show me a
straight person who has gay friends and I'll show you someone who
realizes as strongly as we do that the conflicts are bunk.

Political struggle is difficult, divisive, and time-consuming.
It tends to drain our energies, which I think naturally try to find
a more human expression. Political struggle is essential in the
circumstances in which we find ourselves. But I think we are wrong
if we think that the struggle is purely a political one and that
we will have won it when we've amassed sufficient power to push back
the boot heel aimed at us by Georgia legislatures and old-time
preachers. We are 7% to 13%. Alone, we will never have such
political power.

We speak of liberation, and I think by that we mean political
liberation. It implies confrontation. But winning friends and
supporters is also an act of liberation, and it is the opposite
of confrontation.

Someone wrote shortly after the Supreme Court's sodomy decision that
one of the justices -- I believe it was Justice Brennan, voted
against the Georgia sodomy law in Bowers vs. Hardwick, even though
several years ago he had come down against gay people in another
rights case. Something, the commentator wrote, had changed his
mind on the question of gay rights during the past several years.

A gay friend, maybe?

--
David Dalton 	ihnp4!gladys!david  -or-  ethos!gladys!david
____________	P.O. Box 256, Bethania, NC 27010

konicek@uiucdcsb.cs.uiuc.edu (10/14/86)

                         No