[net.sf-lovers] Review of "The Harp of Imach Thyssel" Patricia C. Wrede

@RUTGERS.ARPA:jmellby%ti-eg.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa (03/14/85)

From: John_Mellby <jmellby%ti-eg.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>

Review of
The Harp of Imach Thyssel, Patricia C. Wrede

This is the fifth book by Patricia, and she seems to keep getting better!
Her books seem to be characterized by good plots, believable characters,
and some of the very best prose you can find today!  The background
to the story is believable and detailed!

This is not to say the book is perfect.  The main character never gets a
chance to develop significantly, and I wish this, like so many of the other
best fantasy books today, would stop using the main character who is seemingly
oblivious to the relationship forming between him and the female lead.

::SPOILER WARNING!!
Emereck the minstrel is friends with a prince of a land who is being
attacked by neighbors.  He finds one of the Lost Gifts of Alkyra, the
Harp of Imach Thyssel.  This legendary harp has great powers but is said
to cause injury to anyone who uses it (sound familiar?).  Several of the
great powers of the world (one each, good, evil, and neutral) are trying
to get the harp for themselves.

There is a happy ending, but I won't say more about it.

Some of the best things about the book:

  The prince has one of the best secondary characters I have seen in a long
  time.  Too bad he doesn't stick around longer.

  While individual elements are similar to other fantasy, the total blend
  of story is well done.  The real villians, and heroes are not revealed
  instantly, but develop as the book progresses.

  The background to the story is detailed and intricate, and offer good
  support to the story.  Unfortunately the background is so interesting,
  the reader wishes more of the background was revealed.

Final summary:
Buy this Book!  Read it!

I remain:
John R. Mellby
Texas Instruments
JMELLBY%TI-EG@CSNET-RELAY

Stay Alert!
Trust no One!
Keep your LASER Handy!

glenn@nsc.UUCP (Glenn Skinner) (03/18/85)

In article <967@topaz.ARPA> @RUTGERS.ARPA:jmellby%ti-eg.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
writes:
>From: John_Mellby <jmellby%ti-eg.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>
>
>Review of The Harp of Imach Thyssel, Patricia C. Wrede
>
>This is the fifth book by Patricia, and she seems to keep getting better!
>Her books seem to be characterized by good plots, believable characters,
>and some of the very best prose you can find today!  The background
>to the story is believable and detailed!

He then goes on to make more detailed points.

I also am fresh from reading the book.  I came away from it feeling quite
disappointed.  I felt the plot and characterizations to be fair at best.

My disappointment was probably heightened by contrast with two other books
I've read in the past couple weeks.  The first is _The Black Company_, by
Glen Cook.  Both Wrede and Cook are new authors for me -- I picked up both
books as experiments, hoping that I'd find gems.  Cook fared better in the
comaprison.  Although Wrede's prose style is superior (based only on the
books under discussion), Cook's plot was more inventive (though not very
inspired either) and his characterizations better.

However, both books pale by comparison to _The Infinity Concerto_, by Greg
Bear.  This book is far superior to the others in prose style, plot, and
characterization.  Both this book and Wrede's feature heroes who are initially
callow and naive.  Wrede's character remains static, and is none the wiser at
the end of his adventures.  On the other hand, Bear's hero undergoes genuine
and believable growth, maturing from a fumbling adolescent to a self-assured
adult.  I won't attempt to summarize the plot; it's too rich for me to do it
justice and a surface description would fail to convey the lushness of texture
of the story's setting.  I recommend the book highly.

		-- Glenn Skinner