[net.sf-lovers] Dr. Who companions

@RUTGERS.ARPA:Joseph.Henr@Xerox.ARPA (03/15/85)

From: Brenda <Joseph.Henr@XEROX.ARPA>

I second the vote for Leela as favorite.  The first time I saw her (it
was also one of the first times I saw Dr.Who) she was wearing her
"bikini" and all of my feminist instincts were entirely revolted (the
comments by the  guys watching with me didn't help!).  But Leela fast
became my favorite.  I especially like the way she grows during the
episodes.

My second favorite is Romana II.  I thought that she was the one the Dr.
always had a special soft spot for.  I liked their relationship.  (S.o.
mentioned the actress who played her was once Mrs. Tom Baker. Is this
true??)

My LEAST favorite was Romana I -- obnoxious, know-it-all, -- everything
Tom Baker plays with a charming lovableness and grace that makes one
forgive all. To me, this actress was entirely lacking, any sympathetic
qualities.

NOTE:  Tom Baker is the only Dr. I've ever seen.  I love the character
of the Dr., but I was thinking that in real life people with his
personality drive me crazy.  I can't stand being around them.  Has
anyone else ever thought about this?  Of course,  I have never met
someone with his superiority complex that actually IS right all of the
time and superior in the way TimeLords are to us earthlings.

~Brenda

@RUTGERS.ARPA:milne@uci-icse (03/15/85)

From: Alastair Milne <milne@uci-icse>

   How could you leave out Sarah Jane Smith !!??!!  Introduced on various
occasions by the Doctor as "my best friend" (eg, in Seeds of Doom); a
journalist; independent and high-spirited; rescued him on a couple of
occasions; and, on at least one occasion, blew him a raspberry when she
thought he needed it.  Nothing like his technical ability (which Romana had),
but she at least knew what "proficient" meant (which Leela didn't): a good
foil, but not too much of one.

   I don't have a favourite companion, since there are things about all of
them that I like (even Harry, though he was surely one of the most
ineffectual), but Sarah is certainly one of the best.

   (And if you thought the Doctor looked upset when he said "Good-bye,
Savage," at the end of Invasion of Time (to Leela), how about his leave-taking
of Sarah at the end of Hand of Fear?  He was not at all pleased, and neither
was she.  In fact, I really expected him to come back to pick her up again,
after he had finished with Gallifrey.  Which shows what I knew of the rest
of the series at the time.)

				Alastair Milne

@RUTGERS.ARPA:phil@rice.ARPA (03/17/85)

From: William LeFebvre <phil@rice.ARPA>

> My second favorite is Romana II.  I thought that she was the one the
> Dr. always had a special soft spot for.  I liked their relationship.
> (S.o.  mentioned the actress who played her was once Mrs. Tom Baker.
> Is this true??)

The actress' name, by the way, is Lalla Ward.  She actually first
appeared in "The Armageddon Factor", one episode before Romana
regenerated (involving the last segment to the key of time).  She is
also one of my personal favorites, I guess because her and the Doctor
got along so well.  And, in fact, after Lalla left the show, Tom Baker
and her did get married.  Unfortunately, the marriage only lasted about
a year because their careers went in different directions (not because
of any personal problems).

                                William LeFebvre
				Department of Computer Science
				Rice University
                                <phil@Rice.arpa>

percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) (03/20/85)

>    By the way, anybody know of any relation between Tom Baker and Colin Baker?

No, they're not related.  (Not to give the impression that 2 out of 6
Britons have Baker as their last name :-)
                                         A. G. Percus
                                  (ARPA) percus@acf4
                                   (NYU) percus.acf4
                                  (UUCP) ...!ihnp4!cmcl2!acf4!percus

gayde@ihuxp.UUCP (Peter Gayde) (03/21/85)

>> By the way, anybody know of any relation between Tom Baker and Colin Baker?
>
> No, they're not related.  (Not to give the impression that 2 out of 6
> Britons have Baker as their last name :-)
>                                          A. G. Percus
>                                   (ARPA) percus@acf4
>                                    (NYU) percus.acf4
>                                   (UUCP) ...!ihnp4!cmcl2!acf4!percus

BUT, Colin Baker does have a son named Tom!
--
	Peter Gayde	AT&T Technologies	Naperville, IL
	ihnp4!{iwslc,ihuxp}!gayde

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (03/22/85)

>>> By the way, anybody know of any relation between Tom Baker and Colin Baker?
>>
>> No, they're not related.  (Not to give the impression that 2 out of 6
>> Britons have Baker as their last name :-)
>>                                          A. G. Percus
>>                                   (ARPA) percus@acf4
>>                                    (NYU) percus.acf4
>>                                   (UUCP) ...!ihnp4!cmcl2!acf4!percus
>
>BUT, Colin Baker does have a son named Tom!

Sorry, this is wrong.  Colin Baker has only one (living) child.  She
was born one week ago (15 March) at 8 lb. 11oz.  He had fathered a
child earlier, but that child succumbed to "cot death" (SIDS).

Since that time, Colin and his wife have been in the forefront for
fund raising in the UK to fight this disaster.
--
James C Armstrong, Jnr.  { ihnp4 || allegra || mcnc || cbosgb } !abnji!jca

I think he needs more than water, Peri, ay?

gayde@ihuxp.UUCP (Peter Gayde) (03/23/85)

>>> No, they're not related.  (Not to give the impression that 2 out of 6
>>> Britons have Baker as their last name :-)
>>
>>BUT, Colin Baker does have a son named Tom!
>
> Sorry, this is wrong.  Colin Baker has only one (living) child.  She
> was born one week ago (15 March) at 8 lb. 11oz.  He had fathered a
> child earlier, but that child succumbed to "cot death" (SIDS).
>
> Since that time, Colin and his wife have been in the forefront for
> fund raising in the UK to fight this disaster.
> --
> James C Armstrong, Jnr.  { ihnp4 || allegra || mcnc || cbosgb } !abnji!jca
>
> I think he needs more than water, Peri, ay?

My information comes from the October 1983 issue of "Whovian Times", the
newsletter of the Doctor Who Fan Club of America.  The exact quote is:

	"Baker is presently 40 years young.  He is married to actress
	 Marion Wyatt.  He has a seven-year-old son (Tom Baker) from
	 his previous marriage to actress Lisa Goddard!  This, of
	 course, is not 'the' Tom Baker known as the Doctor, nor are
	 the two related; but yes, it is ironic."

I have no idea how accurate this report is, but it seems to come from
a reliable source.
--

@RUTGERS.ARPA:JC595C%GWUVM.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA (03/24/85)

From: Richard  <QU229C%GWUVM.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA>

Sarah Jane is a popular companion just not one of mine. To me despite
her independence, she was boaring.  Always screaming and complaining.
I like Harry he was resourceful in a number of instances. The ark
in Space and Genesis of the Daleks where he saved the Doctor's life
twice.

Louise Jameson (Leela) stared in a BBC miniseries Tenko that was shown
on the ARTS network.  It is the story of English women in a Japanese
prison camp during WW2.  This is very different role than Leela, but is
shows Jameson`s versatility as an actress.
The Doctor did have a soft spot for Romana 11, she was a kindred spirit.
I must disagree with a comment about Adric.  Adric was an important
factor in all of the Baker shows.  In Keeper of Traken his relationship
with Nyssa is very important and their sabatoge of the Source was a
crucil part of the story.  In Logopolis he was of equal importance.
Three companions are too many for one Doctor so the show had to get rid
of one and unfortunatly they chose Adric.  A better choice would have
been Tegan whom Adric and Nyssa had to contiually put in her place and
who caused nothing but trouble.
The Doctor is always upset when a major companion leaves.  Sarah Janeand
he were forced to part when he was called to Gallifrey.  He was
unhappywhen Leela left him to marry Andred.  He understood that it was
better forRomana to stay in E-Space rather than return to Gallifrey, so
she could be her own Romana.  He remarks to Adric in Logopolis on how
much he misses her.  Adric's death was especially hard for the Doctor
becasue scientificly it was  possible   for the Doctor to go back in time
to save him, but this was one rule he couldn't break.  Finnaly when
when Tegan left him he remarked that he would have to mend his ways.  This
dictated his action in the next two stories and caused him to give his
life for Peri.