[soc.culture.misc] CALL FOR DISCUSSION: soc.culture.french

bob@verdix.com (Bob Boulanger) (02/13/90)

                   Formal call for discussion
                   ==========================

 This is the 1st call for discussion for the creation of a French
 soc.culture newsgroup.
 The proposed newsgroup, unmoderated soc.culture.french, is intended
 to generally provide a medium for those interested to express and share
 their views and feelings about *things* (normally discussed in soc.culture
 newsgroups) related to France and Frenchmen.
 The discussion period will last for 2 weeks from today.
 Comments and discussions are welcome provided they are also posted to
 news.groups newsgroup.

*     Bob Boulanger                          Verdix Corporation     *
*     bob@verdix.com                         1600 NW Compton Drive  *
*     (503)690-1116(w) (503)357-4644(h)      Aloha, OR  97006       *

mketch@pawl.rpi.edu (Michael D. Ketchen) (02/13/90)

In article <233@verdix.verdix.com> bob@verdix.com (Bob Boulanger) writes:
|  The proposed newsgroup, unmoderated soc.culture.french, is intended
|  to generally provide a medium for those interested to express and share
|  their views and feelings about *things* (normally discussed in soc.culture
|  newsgroups) related to France and Frenchmen.

I'm for it, but does it have to be restricted to French culture?  What about
French-Canadian culture?

- Mike
--

dave@cgdco2.ucar.edu (Dave Darr) (02/13/90)

In article <9886W$@rpi.edu> mketch@pawl.rpi.edu (Michael D. Ketchen) writes:
>In article <233@verdix.verdix.com> bob@verdix.com (Bob Boulanger) writes:
>|  The proposed newsgroup, unmoderated soc.culture.french, is intended
>|  to generally provide a medium for those interested to express and share
>|  their views and feelings about *things* (normally discussed in soc.culture
>|  newsgroups) related to France and Frenchmen.
>
>I'm for it, but does it have to be restricted to French culture?  What about
>French-Canadian culture?

   I'm for it as well, but it should be for francophone culture in
general.. not just France. La Louisiane, le Quebec, l'Afrique francophone..
etc., etc.

-David

mshute@r4.uucp (Malcolm Shute) (02/13/90)

In article <6302@ncar.ucar.edu> dave@cgdco2.ucar.edu (Dave Darr) writes:
>   I'm for it as well, but it should be for francophone culture in
>general.. not just France. La Louisiane, le Quebec, l'Afrique francophone..

Despite the original poster's specification, I expect the group would evolve
to Dave Darr's interpretation anyway.  When looking for somewhere to post
an article pertaining to somewhere which is *French* speaking, the average
new user is going to hit upon the first group with *.french* in the title,
regardless of the group's formal charter.  But yes, the charter ought to
sort this out properly, first, if it is considered to be sufficient of a
problem.

You can count on my 'Yes' vote.
I am a little worried that I might miss the formal call for votes though,
since I rarely stray into either of these groups.  Can someone poke me
when the time comes, please.

Malcolm Shute.         (The AM Mollusc:   v_@_ )        Disclaimer: all

ibuki@flab.fujitsu.co.jp (02/14/90)

In article <6302@ncar.ucar.edu> dave@cgdco2.ucar.edu (Dave Darr) writes:
>   I'm for it as well, but it should be for francophone culture in
>general.. not just France. La Louisiane, le Quebec, l'Afrique francophone..
>etc., etc.

  I also support the creation of this group and including francophone
culture in it. Maybe we could discuss things in New Caledonian
Islands, Haiti, etc. I think we could also include some aspects of
Indochina coutries since there remains influence of French
colonization.
                                               Jun