[soc.culture.misc] soc.culture.iranian

sadeghi@oxy.edu (Behnam Sadeghi) (11/21/89)

>The following message was forwarded from NEWS.GROUPS for further
>discussions.
>
>Is Iranian culture that much different from that of neighboring Islamic
>states? If not, why not start with a soc.culture.mideast or
>soc.culture.islam? If you are going to allow Iraqi or Saudi contributions
>anyway, this would be an obvious change. If not, why not?

	   Iranian culture is surely much different from the
	   neighboring Arab states.   As a matter of fact, many
	   Iranains get upset when they are mistakenly referred to as
	   Arabs.  Not that we have anything against our Arab
	   borthers and sisters; it is just that we are not Arabs and
	   would not like to be lumped with them (just likes the
	   English probably would not like to be called French!).

	   To mention a few differences:  language, literature,
	   religious sect, calendar, new year, social customs, ...

	   For the discussion of Arab cultures soc.culture.arabic
	   exists.

	   As there are more commonalities between Iran and
	   Afghanistan, I think soc.culture.iranian would definitely
	   be nice place for the discussion of Afghani cultural
	   issues. Especially since no newsgroups exists for this
	   purpose.

	   Pakistan is another neighbor of Iran, but
	   soc.culture.indian covers Pakistan.

	   And for the discussion of Turkish culture,
	   soc.culture.turkish exists.

	   If we are going to create a "soc.culture.mideast," then
	   we should dismantle all these other newsgroups.  But I
	   don't think that would be feasible.

	   Sincerely,
	   Behnam Sadeghi

kamvar@cbnewsi.ATT.COM (simin.kamvar) (02/13/90)

I vote yes for the creation of soc.culture.iranian.
I hope to see some discussion about iranian litrature and poetry,
art, folklore, and music in this newsgroup.

Simin Kamvar

mmpam@amdcad.AMD.COM (Ali Moayedian) (02/15/90)

I vote YES for the creation of the SOC.CULTURE.IRANIAN.
I believe this newsgroup can be a good tribune for
Iraninans and non-Iraninans to discuss issues related
to Iran and Iranians.  It seems there is a lot of
interest in creating this group and I hope it will
be created soon.

Here is a list of possible discussion topics for the SCI:

     - Cultural, social and political issues
     - Literature
     - Marriage and divorce.  Family problems encountered
       by Iranian families abroad.
     - Psychological problems of Iranians abroad.
     - Clash of cultures.
     - Do we feel at home, at work or otherwise
     - What can we do to help Iran(or Iranians).
     - Do we stay in touch with Iran & Farsi language? How?
     - Can we or will we ever go back to Iran?
     - How our lives have been affected by living abroad?
     - Types of work we do.  Do we enjoy it?
     - When we were last in Iran.  Any memories?
     - etc, etc, etc ...

bahman@nixtor.uucp (Bahman Koohestani) (02/15/90)

I am in favor of the formation of soc.culture.iranian.
--
Bahman Koohestani 			Nixdorf Computer Canada, Ltd.
bahman@nixtor

eederavi@cybaswan.UUCP (Farzin Deravi) (02/19/90)

The creation of this newsgroup (soc.culture.iranian) is long overdue.
It is essential that the newsgroup should remain unmoderated.
Lets do it.

Farzin Deravi

                                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Dr F. Deravi,                    | UUCP  : ...!ukc!pyr.swan.ac.uk!eederavi|
Lecturer,                        | JANET : eederavi@uk.ac.swan.pyr        |
Electrical Engineering Dept.,    | voice : +44 792 295583                 |
University of Wales,             | Fax   : +44 792 295532                 |
Swansea, SA2 8PP                 | Telex : 48149                          |
United Kingdom.                  |        GreenNet      gn:f1deravi       |
                                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

nader@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (nader.mehravari) (02/19/90)

I vote YES to the creation of the soc.culture.iranian.
I hope to see some very informative discussion and information
in this newsgroup about all aspects of Iranian culture and
history; in particular about Iranian cookery.
Nader Mehrvari
nader@homxa.att.com

tjarc@sleepy.bmd.trw.com (02/20/90)

In article <1896@cbnewsi.ATT.COM>, kamvar@cbnewsi.ATT.COM (simin.kamvar) writes:
> I vote yes for the creation of soc.culture.iranian.
> I hope to see some discussion about iranian litrature and poetry,
> art, folklore, and music in this newsgroup.

DISCLAIMER:  the following opinion is solely mine!

I vote NO for any sort of soc.culture.iranian until such time as the Iranian
controlled United States and all other foreign hostages are released from
Lebanon.  No offense to you domestic or imported folks who have so successfully
assimilated yourselves into the American culture.  To those Iranians, who come
to this country to get an education, and then demonstrate against the great
Satan United States,  I say get your ass outta here.  I'm not trying to offend
anyone directly here.  I'd just feel a lot better about things if the govern-
ment of Iran would quit dickin' around, get the hostages released - which
I firmly believe they could instantly accomplish, and lets get on with life.
Iran has problems, the United States has problems, HELL, we ALL have problems.
Hasen't this shit gone on long enough?  Until such time as the crisis is
resolved, I vote NO!

jamshid@maxwell.mmwb.ucsf.edu (Jamshid Naghizadeh) (02/20/90)

Once more I strongly support the creation of soc.culture.iranaian.
This topic has attracted more interest in recent weeks, in
view of the recent cultural upheaval in the southern republics
of the USSR.

jamshid@maxwell.mmwb.ucsf.edu

ska@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (siroos.k.afshar) (02/20/90)

Yes! I think it's a VERY good idea and I support the creation of the
soc.culture.iranian.

		-Siroos Afshar

ra0746@cec1.wustl.edu (Ramin Aghevli) (02/21/90)

I vote YES for the creation of soc.culture.iranian.  This should create a great forum to discuss social, cultural, and political issues pertaining to Iran.

mack@portia.Stanford.EDU (Siamak Hashemi) (02/21/90)

In article <132.25dffba9@sleepy.bmd.trw.com> tjarc@sleepy.bmd.trw.com writes:

>I vote NO for any sort of soc.culture.iranian until such time as the Iranian
>controlled United States and all other foreign hostages are released from
>Lebanon.

What do politics and soc.culture have to do with each other?
As if we in the U.S. are controlling the situation.

>No offense to you domestic or imported folks who have so successfully
>assimilated yourselves into the American culture.  To those Iranians, who come
>to this country to get an education, and then demonstrate against the great
>Satan United States,  I say get your ass outta here.

So those Americans who demostrate against the government should get
their asses out of here as well?
See how ridiculous your argument is?

>I'm not trying to offend anyone directly here.

Instead you're insulting a coutry as a whole!

>Iran has problems, the United States has problems, HELL, we ALL have problems.
							  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I should have guessed!

--
					Siamak Hashemi
					Electrical Engineering Department

gae@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Geraint A Edwards) (02/23/90)

In article <132.25dffba9@sleepy.bmd.trw.com> tjarc@sleepy.bmd.trw.com writes:
>[deleted bit about hostages in Iran]
>Hasen't this shit gone on long enough?  Until such time as the crisis is
>resolved, I vote NO!

I'm sorry to hear such a negative attitude. Those who wish to create S.C.I are
not necessarily directly involved with the hostage-takers and are not all
members or voters for the Iranian Govt by a long chalk.

From the input to other S.C.* groups that I trace, these contributors comprise
mostly of N.Americans who have an interest in the particular subject.

Don't penalise people for things that are beyond their control: should the ng
S.C.british have been setup whilst the British are in N.Ireland?

I agree that the situation in Iran is terrible regarding hostages, but blaming
& punishing others is my idea of reactionary tripe.

Only trying to help,

Geraint. JANet:	gae@uk.ac.cf.cm

mbanan@bcsaic.UUCP (Mohsen Banan) (02/23/90)

In article <13134@cgl.ucsf.EDU> jamshid@maxwell.mmwb.ucsf.edu (Jamshid Naghizadeh) writes:
>Once more I strongly support the creation of soc.culture.iranaian.
>This topic has attracted more interest in recent weeks, in
>view of the recent cultural upheaval in the southern republics
>of the USSR.
>
>jamshid@maxwell.mmwb.ucsf.edu

Me too.

I stopped reading soc.culture.misc a few month ago.
One of my friends mentioned about this soc.culture.iranian discussion,
so I am back.
My primary interest in this group is middle east and Iran.
soc.culture.misc is too much to read particularly when
some specific event becomes hot.

Let's go for soc.culture.iranian. Me and lots of others like
me get to read what we are interested in.