[soc.culture.misc] CALL FOR DISCUSSION: soc.culture.german

bob@verdix.com (Bob Boulanger) (02/13/90)

                   Formal call for discussion
                   ==========================

 This is the 1st call for discussion for the creation of a German
 soc.culture newsgroup.

 The proposed newsgroup, unmoderated soc.culture.german, is intended
 to generally provide a medium for those interested to express and share
 their views and feelings about *things* (normally discussed in soc.culture
 newsgroups) related to Germany and Germans.

 The discussion period will last for 2 weeks from today.
 Comments and discussions are welcome provided they are also posted to
 news.groups newsgroup.

*     Bob Boulanger                          Verdix Corporation     *
*     bob@verdix.com                         1600 NW Compton Drive  *
*     (503)690-1116(w) (503)357-4644(h)      Aloha, OR  97006       *

bob@verdix.com (Bob Boulanger) (02/15/90)

                   Formal call for discussion
                   ==========================

hack@ncrclm.Clemson.NCR.COM (Elaine Hacklaender) (02/16/90)

In article <241@verdix.verdix.com>, bob@verdix.com (Bob Boulanger) writes:
>  This is the 1st call for discussion for the creation of a German
>  soc.culture newsgroup.
>  The proposed newsgroup, unmoderated soc.culture.german, is intended
>  to generally provide a medium for those interested to express and share
>  their views and feelings about *things* (normally discussed in soc.culture
>  newsgroups) related to Germany and Germans.
> *     Bob Boulanger                          Verdix Corporation     *
> *     bob@verdix.com                         1600 NW Compton Drive  *
> *     (503)690-1116(w) (503)357-4644(h)      Aloha, OR  97006       *

Great idea!!

Everywhere on the net, there are news groups for just about everyone.
--I think it would be good to have one for the "deutschies" among us.
Think about it, recent studies have indicated that close to 25% of the
population of the US can trace their origins back to German ancestry!

If the group were formed, what exactly would be its intent?  Would/Could
postings be bilingual?  (Please forgive my questions -- I'm relatively
new to the net, and I've still a great deal to learn.)

*  Elaine Hacklaender@Clemson.NCR.COM   * Dare to go where Angels fear tread,*
*  ...!uunet!ncrlnk!ncrcae!ncrclm!hack  *      The gods are with you         *

efsl@tahoma.UUCP (Michael D. Riston) (02/16/90)

In article <234@verdix.verdix.com>, bob@verdix.com (Bob Boulanger) writes:

>                    Formal call for discussion
>                    ==========================
>  This is the 1st call for discussion for the creation of a German
>  soc.culture newsgroup.
>  The proposed newsgroup, unmoderated soc.culture.german, is intended
>  to generally provide a medium for those interested to express and share
>  their views and feelings about *things* (normally discussed in soc.culture
>  newsgroups) related to Germany and Germans.

If we include other French-speakers in a proposed soc.culture.french, I
would propose something analogous for a soc.culture.german:  Austrians,
Swiss-Germans, Alsatians, Eupener-Belgians and such should be invited
and encouraged to contribute.  That said, I believe both newsgroups would
provide worthwhile forums on the net.  We already enjoy the range of
opinions expressed in soc.culture.nordic, as well as the numerous soc.
culture.asian groups, and others too, with net-contributors interested
in things African, Arabic, Greek, and virtually everywhere else.

Given that Germany is a focus of world attention, with its dynamic
economic success (can it be true?  Germany now has the world's largest
trade surplus, at $88 billion?), and the impending reunification of the
Federal Republic with the soon-to-be-former Democratic Republic, the
creation of soc.culture.germanic is certainly timely.

And given the ongoing contributions of French culture to the modern world,
I see the creation of soc.culture.french as similarly positive, with
French, Belgian, Quebecois, and other French-influenced cultures joining
in.

-- These opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my
employer. --
Don
efsl@tahoma
...!bcstec!tahoma!efsl

MRB118@psuvm.psu.edu (Mark Boltz) (02/18/90)

I think soc.culture.german will be a most beneficial addition to the cultural
newsgroups.  With all the things happening in central Europe right now, a group
to discuss Germany and Germans (and german speaking peoples - ie Austrians,
and Swiss), would be an opportune place to discuss such issues, as well as the
past history, and other cultural stuff.
------------------
Q:  Can/Would postings be bi-lingual?  Ich moechte naemlich auf Deutsch schrei-
ben, wenn moeglich.
------------------
MRB118@PSUVM.PSU.EDU                          "Fuer das leibliche Wohl
                                               ist bestens gesorgt."

dkrause@orion.oac.uci.edu (Doug Krause) (02/18/90)

In article <90048.121218MRB118@psuvm.psu.edu> MRB118@psuvm.psu.edu (Mark Boltz) writes:
#Q:  Can/Would postings be bi-lingual?  Ich moechte naemlich auf Deutsch schrei-

You can.  But those of us of German descent who do not speak German would
feel terribly left out.

Douglas Krause                     One yuppie can ruin your whole day.
University of California, Irvine   Internet: dkrause@orion.oac.uci.edu
Welcome to Irvine, Yuppieland USA  BITNET: DJKrause@ucivmsa

fr@icdi10.UUCP (Fred Rump from home) (02/19/90)

In article <241@verdix.verdix.com> bob@verdix.com (Bob Boulanger) writes:

>                   Formal call for discussion

Not much to say, except I'm all for it.
Fred Rump

--
This is my house.   My castle will get started right after I finish with news.
26 Warren St.             uucp:          ...{bpa dsinc uunet}!cdin-1!icdi10!fr

eob@cbnewsk.ATT.COM (eamonn.j.o'brien) (02/19/90)

From article <25DE69BA.13757@orion.oac.uci.edu>, by dkrause@orion.oac.uci.edu (Doug Krause):
> In article <90048.121218MRB118@psuvm.psu.edu> MRB118@psuvm.psu.edu (Mark Boltz) writes:
> #Q:  Can/Would postings be bi-lingual?  Ich moechte naemlich auf Deutsch schrei-
>
> You can.  But those of us of German descent who do not speak German would
> feel terribly left out.

I hope there is plenty of German as I would like to practice
reading and writing the language.

Ich moechte Deutsch lernen. Ich moechte in Deutschland arbeiten.
--
Eamonn O'Brien          ohm!eob      eob@ohm.att.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JIW2@psuvm.psu.edu (John Wagner) (02/20/90)

                   Formal call for discussion
                   ==========================

 >This is the 1st call for discussion for the creation of a German
 >soc.culture newsgroup.
 >The proposed newsgroup, unmoderated soc.culture.german, is intended
 >to generally provide a medium for those interested to express and
 >share their views and feelings about *things* (normally discussed in  ure
 >soc.cult newsgroups) related to Germany and Germans.
 >The discussion period will last for 2 weeks from today.
 >Comments and discussions are welcome provided they are also posted to
 >news.groups newsgroup.

    This is a great idea!  As an American of German descent, I
 try to keep in touch with events in Germany by reading German
 magazines, and would find a German newsgroup of great interest.

    There has been some concern, I have noticed, about making
 entries bilingual, since not everyone (including me) writes German
 particularly well.  I don't think this need be a problem.  I also
 am in touch with a Mexican newsgroup in which the ground rules are:
 The language of choice is English.  If you can write in both languages,
 do so.  If you do not write English at all, Spanish-only is okay.
 As far as I can tell, this is working out very well.  If the proposed
 German newsgroup followed the same pattern, it should be able to
 accomodate the maximum number of participants.  Plus, the bilingual
 entries would help in sharpening written German skills, so that
 more of us (including me again) could eventually start submitting
 bilingual entries of our own.  Personally, I could read the German-
 only entries, but those who cannot can just skip them, as I skip the
 Spanish-only entries in the Mexican newsgroup.

                                      Gluck auf!

                                  John Wagner
                             Pennsylvania State University

hack@ncrclm.Clemson.NCR.COM (Elaine Hacklaender) (02/20/90)

In article <2077@cbnewsk.ATT.COM>, eob@cbnewsk.ATT.COM (eamonn.j.o'brien) writes:
> From article <25DE69BA.13757@orion.oac.uci.edu>, by dkrause@orion.oac.uci.edu (Doug Krause):
> > In article <90048.121218MRB118@psuvm.psu.edu> MRB118@psuvm.psu.edu (Mark Boltz) writes:
> > #Q:  Can/Would postings be bi-lingual?  Ich moechte naemlich auf Deutsch schrei-
> >
> > You can.  But those of us of German descent who do not speak German would
> > feel terribly left out.

	Perhaps we should get someone to translate for you.  Most of the
	people I know with German ancestry made an attempt to learn the
	language.

> I hope there is plenty of German as I would like to practice
> reading and writing the language.
>
> Ich moechte Deutsch lernen. Ich moechte in Deutschland arbeiten.
> --
	Ich brauche auch die Uebung.  Seit dem ich in Deutschland war,
	habe ich mein deutsch totall verlernt.  Meine Grammatik ist leider
	sehr schlecht geworden.  Hoffentlich wenn wir eine deutsche Gruppe
	haben werden, werde ich die Gelegenheit haben mein deutsch zu
	verbessern.
	Ich wunsche Ihnen viel Glueck in die Stellungssuche, da mir
	bekannt ist wie schwierig es ist in Deutschland eine Stelle
	zu bekommen.  Ich war sechs Monate als Praktikantin bei BMW
	und wunsche jetzt dass, ich zuerueck gehen koennte.  Aber
	zuerst muss' ich wieder mein deutsch verbessern.  Tja, was
	kann man machen???

	Tchuess.
	Elaine

*  Elaine Hacklaender@Clemson.NCR.COM   * Dare to go where Angels fear tread,*
*  ...!uunet!ncrlnk!ncrcae!ncrclm!hack  *      The gods are with you         *

jgw@cbnews.ATT.COM (John G. Weinhardt) (02/21/90)

I would like to voice an enthusiastic "jawohl" for the proposed
soc.culture.german newsgroup.  Although I immigrated to the USA as a small
child with my parents, I have not effectively kept in touch with my German
background.  I personally welcome an opportunity to learn more about Germans
and the 2 Germanies (perhaps soon to be one).

Auf Wiedersehen !

John (Hans-Juergen) Weinhardt

lyled@pnet12.cts.com (Lyle Davis) (02/22/90)

I think a soc.culture.german conference would be a desireable conference.

I would suggest, however, that messages within the conference be required to
be in English; to allow messages sent in German would sharply reduce your
potential "market" of users.  There are many users of German extraction who
would be interested in their ancestral home, yet do not speak or read the
language.  Certainly, you would not want to exclude them.

On the other paw, most German students, I understand, do speak and read
English.

Good luck!

UUCP: uunet!serene!pnet12!lyled
ARPA: crash!pnet12!lyled@nosc.mil
INET: lyled@pnet12.cts.com

fischer@iesd.auc.dk (Lars P. Fischer) (02/22/90)

In article <14180@cbnews.ATT.COM> jgw@cbnews.ATT.COM (John G. Weinhardt) writes:
>I would like to voice an enthusiastic "jawohl" for the proposed
>soc.culture.german newsgroup. ...

Could you please keep this stuff out of soc.culture.nordic. Thanks.
/Lars
--
Lars Fischer,  fischer@iesd.auc.dk   | If you want PL/I, you know where to
CS Dept., Univ. of Aalborg, DENMARK. | find it.    -- D. M. Ritchie

MRB118@psuvm.psu.edu (Mark Boltz) (02/22/90)

How about if I leave a translation then?  Then you could pick up a little of
the language too....MB

dorai@titan.rice.edu (Dorai Sitaram) (02/23/90)

In article <1472@serene.UUCP> lyled@pnet12.cts.com (Lyle Davis) writes:
>I think a soc.culture.german conference would be a desireable conference.
>
>I would suggest, however, that messages within the conference be required to
>be in English; to allow messages sent in German would sharply reduce your
>potential "market" of users.  There are many users of German extraction who
>would be interested in their ancestral home, yet do not speak or read the
>language.  Certainly, you would not want to exclude them.
>
>On the other paw, most German students, I understand, do speak and read
>English.

I think the above posting is very clear in stating which language is
expendable.  I'm not sure that's quite healthy.  How about letting
each poster post in German or English as s/he wants, and whether s/he
provides a translation is also up to him/er?  To make German the
expendable language in its own group is unfair, and to allow English
postings freely is fair enough without having to push it by demanding
"English-only."

I know there are several instances of "English-only" (or something
very close to it) in many of the soc.culture groups, and reasons for
the cannibalization of "local" languages seem to be that there are few
or no posters from the geographic area in question (Arabia, China,
India, Srilanka, Turkey, etc.) or that the geog'l area has too many
mutually incomprehensible tongues for them all to be accommodated
(India, Nordic).

In contrast, the Latinamerican group seems to have hit upon the best
solution of all.  Postings fly freely and amicably in both English and
Spanish (with a bit of Portuguese on the side).  In fact, one often
notices follow-ups in a different language from the original posting.
This highlights the fact that there are lots of folk out there who may
not be totally comfortable writing a language but understand it
handsomely.

I therefore would suggest caution before imposing _any_ restrictive
language requirement such as the one proposed by Lyle.  BTW, would
Lyle have the nerve to advocate "English-only" in soc.culture.french?
:-] :-]

--dorai

ps: BTW, I like your postings a lot, Lyle.  Keep them coming.
It may be that the gulfs will wash us down;
It may be we shall touch the Happy Isles.

fischer@iesd.auc.dk (Lars P. Fischer) (02/23/90)

In article <1472@serene.UUCP> lyled@pnet12.cts.com (Lyle Davis) writes:
>I would suggest, however, that messages within the conference be required to
>be in English;

You cannot "require" anything on the net. People can post in any
language they like. We can only hope that people will stick to the
tradition of writing in English on the wide-distribution groups.

On the other hand, there are > 100 Mp (Mega-people) with German as
their native language. Learning the language couldn't hurt, what with
BRD as the strongest economic power in the world...

/Lars
--

eob@cbnewsk.ATT.COM (eamonn.j.o'brien) (02/24/90)

From article <1472@serene.UUCP>, by lyled@pnet12.cts.com (Lyle Davis):
> [...] There are many users of German extraction who
> would be interested in their ancestral home, yet do not speak or read the
> language.  Certainly, you would not want to exclude them.

Surely both languages can be accomodated. If the "Subject:" line is in
the same language as the message then the disinterested reader can
quickly skip over it.

--

fr@icdi10.UUCP (Fred Rump from home) (02/24/90)

In article <573@ncrclm.Clemson.NCR.COM> hack@ncrclm.Clemson.NCR.COM (Elaine Hacklaender) writes:
>In article <2077@cbnewsk.ATT.COM>, eob@cbnewsk.ATT.COM (eamonn.j.o'brien) writes:
>> From article <25DE69BA.13757@orion.oac.uci.edu>, by dkrause@orion.oac.uci.edu (Doug Krause):
>> > In article <90048.121218MRB118@psuvm.psu.edu> MRB118@psuvm.psu.edu (Mark Boltz) writes:
>> > #Q:  Can/Would postings be bi-lingual?  Ich moechte naemlich auf Deutsch schrei-

>	Ich wunsche Ihnen viel Glueck in die Stellungssuche, da mir
>	bekannt ist wie schwierig es ist in Deutschland eine Stelle

Es ist schoen die Muttersprache hier im Netz zu sehen aber lassen wir doch
warten bis die Gruppe zusammensteht.

Eins moechte ich nur noch sagen: das Sie, Ihnen and andere Hoeflichkeiten
braucht man doch nicht in Amerika. Wir, Ihr, Du, Dir usw sollte doch reichen
um verstaendlich zu werden.

Hoffentlich werden genug stimmen zusammen kommen die die Gruppe auch
genehmigen!
Fred

--
This is my house.   My castle will get started right after I finish with news.
26 Warren St.             uucp:          ...{bpa dsinc uunet}!cdin-1!icdi10!fr
Beverly, NJ 08010       domain:  fred@cdin-1.uu.net or icdi10!fr@cdin-1.uu.net
609-386-6846          "Freude... Alle Menschen werden Brueder..."  -  Schiller

inc@tc.fluke.COM (Gary Benson) (02/26/90)

In article <2120@cbnewsk.ATT.COM>, eob@cbnewsk.ATT.COM (eamonn.j.o'brien) writes:

From article <1472@serene.UUCP>, by lyled@pnet12.cts.com (Lyle Davis):
LD:  [...] There are many users of German extraction who
LD:  would be interested in their ancestral home, yet do not speak or read the
LD:  language.  Certainly, you would not want to exclude them.

EO'B:  Surely both languages can be accomodated. If the "Subject:" line is in
EO'B:  the same language as the message then the disinterested reader can
EO'B:  quickly skip over it.

EO'B:  Eamonn O'Brien          ohm!eob      eob@ohm.att.com

I agree. Mo such requirement exists for any other "soc.culture" groups --
why should the Germans require English-only postings?

--
Gary Benson    -=[ S M I L E R ]=-   -_-_-_-inc@fluke.tc.com_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

Absence of evidence should never be mistaken for evidence of absence.
                                       -Walter Lewin, MIT Astronomer

oplinger@minerva.crd.ge.com (B. S. Oplinger) (02/27/90)

In article <15186@fluke.COM> inc@tc.fluke.COM (Gary Benson) writes:

>I agree. Mo such requirement exists for any other "soc.culture" groups --
>why should the Germans require English-only postings?

Because not everyone who wants to be able to read/know/participate can
read and write German! Isn't this obvious? English is simply the most
common language across the rather large (Japan/North America/Europe at
the least) areas and diverse (just imagine all those countries)
cultures.

brian
oplinger@crd.ge.com

<#include standard.disclaimer>

hegenberger@ecs.umass.edu (03/03/90)

In article <241@verdix.verdix.com>, bob@verdix.com (Bob Boulanger) writes:
>  This is the 1st call for discussion for the creation of a German
>  soc.culture newsgroup

I have been waiting to see this posting for some time.  Sounds like a great
idea.  But I see no need to restrict the postings to English - it seems only
intuitive to "permit" German postings in a German culture newsgroup.  Those
interested in the countries and culture will probably have at least a passing
interest in the language, and they may be pleased to find that they can
understand more than half of what is posted in German, anyway - it's not like
you're asking them to learn some obscure dialect with no relation to English!
I happy me upon the first postings.

Erich Hegenberger
Dept. of Chemical Engineering
UMass/Amherst