[soc.culture.jewish] public restrooms

mcb@styx.UUCP (Michael C. Berch) (09/24/86)

In article <524@ucdavis.UUCP> ccrdave@ucdavis.UUCP (Lord Kahless) writes:
> . . .
> In order to prevent discrimination between the sexes, and to end
> these antiquated, sexist and illegal moral codes, it's obvious
> that we must eliminate the distinction between men's and women's
> bathrooms by breaking down the wall between the two bathrooms and
> having one giant bathroom with "TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN" on the door.
>
> Let's all work now to stop this antiquated separation of the sexes.
> Break down bathroom barriers at your company or college, and treat
> the sexes as one.

This article was (I assume) meant to be facetious, but I should point
out that this has been done in various places, notably some dorms and
office/classroom buildings at Univ. of Calif., Berkeley while I was
there in the mid-70's, with no great uproar, and worked quite well.
It is the standard in many parts of the world, and I noticed some relatively
large, unisex public restrooms in several places in Japan (at resorts
and parks) on my trip there last year.

Michael C. Berch
ARPA: mcb@lll-tis-b.ARPA
UUCP: {ihnp4,dual,sun}!lll-lcc!styx!mcb