[soc.culture.jewish] Summary of replies to Hebrew software query

john@uwmacc.UUCP (John Jacobsen) (01/21/87)

****

The following is a summary of responses I got in my query about available
Hebrew word processing software and educational tools.  I omitted the headers
and combined a few responses-- email, telephone and other addresses of the
senders are available through me.

	John

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
The language toolkit from Duke university seem to come with a version of
PC-Write that can be used with hebrew fonts (included).
PC Write is shareware, and I believe that the Duke Language Toolkit is
free if you send a disk to them.

Here are some packages mentioned by various people.  I listed all the
information given.
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Wordmill (vastly overpriced). Requires substituting their EPROM, which
takes away some important foreign letters.

NotaBene. A massive variation of XYWRITE meant for scholars in the
Humanities. Includes data management program, bibliographic program, etc.
With Hebrew costs about $600. Hebrew promised for spring.

Educational: "Hebrew On-Line" Entire Biblical Hebrew vocabulary on disk.
$59.95 POB 96. Staunton, VA 24401.

MultiLingual Scribe
Address: Gamma Productions, 710 Wilshire Blvd, suite 609, Santa Monica,
         CA 90401
Phone:   (213) 394-8622) or (213) 451-9507
Cost:    $500 to $350.
Uses graphics.  Extremely versatile.  Can handle all sorts of strange alphabet,
incl. Hebrew. They used to publish a little $30 program called Hebrew scribe
that they may still sell.

Alexander
$245
Gessler Educational Software
900 Broadway
New York, NY  10003
(212) 673-3113

Here is some more information that may be helpful:
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
We just had a faculty member help prepare a mixed Hebrew/English manuscript
using Fancy Font by SoftCraft in Madison WI. The results (on both an
Epson and LaserJet) were excelent. There is also a Hebrew font in the
Berkely Font Catalog.  --Jeff Posdamer

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I remember 2 sources of software you can look up:
	1) The Institute for Computers in Jewish Life in Chicago,
	2) In Toronto, a new company called Mesorah Software might have
	   some products in line with what you're looking for.
I can get a hold of the exact addresses of these groups if you'd like.
			Mark Kerbel

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Try Interword from Computers Anywhere which is located
in McLean, VA.  you can get their phone number from 1-703-555-1212.
I have their Farsi/English wordprocessor.  It comes with
a chip that replaces the video character generator.  It has a
pretty nice "script".  Its wordprocessor kind of emulates
Wordstar however not all of the wordstar.  I believe they have
a hebrew script also.  --Reza Zarafshar

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
The closest/best source for this stuff is Rabbi Irving Rosenbaum
in Chicago. He's the head of Dafka Corporation, which specializes
in Hebrew software. Most stuff is for the Apple, but he has some
good PC software, too.  --glenn kapetansky

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
JAARS - Jungle Aviation and Radio Service provides a non-roman word
processor package for use by Wycliffe Bible Translators among others.
It is based on the KED editor on DEC machines.  It handles an arbitrary
size symbol set (i.e. Chinese.  Hebrew is no problem.), and generates
ascii files by mapping non-ascii symbols to escape sequences.  An nroff-like
print program prints the files on graphics capable or replaceable font
printers (again via mapping).  The cursor can move left to right or right
to left in the editor, depending on your language.  The ascii files are stored
left to right (i.e. the left-hand or last character first for Hebrew).
JAARS is based in North Carolina.  The program is available at nominal
charge to non-profit organizations (like Wycliffe, or probably a school).
(Maybe not way-out religious groups.)  Judaism would not be considered
way-out.  (Check with them, I may be wrong.)
Stuart D. Gathman	<..!seismo!dgis!bms-at!stuart>

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
There is a real chaos in this area. It seems that most software
can't handle properly the heb/eng direction switches without a heavy burden
on the naive user. The best hebrew/english word processor that I know of
is EinsteinWriter. It was produced by an amrican company in an english only
version. When the people from that company immigrated to Israel they converted
the software to be Heb/Eng. The real advantage is that you may get a fully
english version including english help documentation and menus.
I used the software to write my M.Sc. thesis which included many
mixed language texts formulas etc, and I can recommend it.
The main drawback is the lack of strong word wordprocessors capabilities such asmulticolumn or footnotes, so it can't be used for a proffessional typesetting.
One problem that you will encounter is the ability of your display adaptor to
produce hebrew characters. If you are using a monochrom adaptor you must
get a new hebrew character generator. In case of EGA or EGC this can be done in
software.
You may call the people from Einstein directly. Their phone # is 972-2-415228
or write to me.  --Yossi Gil

michaelm@bcsaic.UUCP (01/23/87)

In article <921@uwmacc.UUCP> john@uwmacc.UUCP (John Jacobsen) writes:
>JAARS - Jungle Aviation and Radio Service provides a non-roman word
>processor package for use by Wycliffe Bible Translators among others.
>JAARS is based in North Carolina.  The program is available at nominal
>charge to non-profit organizations (like Wycliffe, or probably a school).
>(Maybe not way-out religious groups.)  Judaism would not be considered
>way-out.  (Check with them, I may be wrong.)
>Stuart D. Gathman	<..!seismo!dgis!bms-at!stuart>

Their address is:
	JAARS
	Box 248
	Waxhaw, NC 24648
(I may be wrong on the zip.)  I believe they'd sell the software to anyone.
It costs around $50 (when I bought it).
--
Mike Maxwell
Boeing Advanced Technology Center