[soc.culture.jewish] The Revenge of the JEDR

weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) (11/17/88)

In article <8011@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU>, richmond@athena (Jonathan E. D. Richmond) writes:

>[from s.c.jewish: very offended at some jokes in rec.humor.funny]

>I am having some friends in Waterloo do some investigations into
>Looking Glass Software, where Templeton works, their operations and
>their clients.  I am in the mood to take some "affirmative action" on
>this individual.

Does anyone at MIT consider himself a friend of Brad's, and is willing
to return the favor and tell us all about J E D Richmond?

ucbvax!garnet!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720

brian@radio.astro.utoronto.ca (Brian Glendenning) (11/20/88)

In article <5877@ecsvax.uncecs.edu>, skyler@ecsvax (Patricia Roberts) writes:

>[...]
>(But really, folks, what were the jokes?)
>[...]

[NOTE: I am posting the text of the joke in this note, proceed accordingly]

This is what happened (apparently, I only became aware of the debate with
the recent rec.humour.funny posting).

A couple of months ago I posted a note to rec.humour asking for Scottish jokes
to give to my wife, who works at a hospital, ammunition against a
recently-arrived Scottish doctor who is fond of telling "north american" type
jokes. I collected jokes for a week or two and then posted a summary.

Included in the summary was the joke:

----------

A Scotsman and a Jew went to a restaurant. After a hearty meal,
the waitress came by with the inevitable check. To the amazement
of all, the Scotsman was heard to say, "I'll pay it!", and he actually
did.

The next morning's newspaper carried the news item:

	"JEWISH VENTRILOQUIST FOUND MURDERED IN BLIND ALLEY".

----------
(this is from my copy of the summary, I didn't save the r.h.f posting
 but presume it is identical)

Brad Templeton apparently found the joke amusing, culled it, and posted it
unrotated to r.h.f. This is what started the ruckus.

My own opinion is that this joke is mildly offensive and mildly amusing.  My
initial posting to rec.humour drew no angry replies (it did induce a few more
jokes). (I got no response from the r.h.f article, but my .signature may not
have been at the end, and at the time the From: header generated a useless
address.)
--
	  Brian Glendenning - Radio astronomy, University of Toronto
brian@radio.astro.utoronto.ca uunet!utai!radio!brian  glendenn@utorphys.bitnet